Thread poster: Dan Mackey (X)
Dan Mackey (X)
Dan Mackey (X)
United States
Local time: 17:15
Arabic to English
Mar 16, 2017

For example,

let's say I was asked by a client in one email to complete two different documents. Both of them combined were below my minimum charge of (just for example) $40.

Each document had a different due date and time.

Should I charge the client the $40 for each of the two assignments since they are technically separate?

I am naturally inclined to only charge them $40 since, even combining both assignments, the word count is below $40 to
... See more
For example,

let's say I was asked by a client in one email to complete two different documents. Both of them combined were below my minimum charge of (just for example) $40.

Should I charge the client the $40 for each of the two assignments since they are technically separate?

I am naturally inclined to only charge them $40 since, even combining both assignments, the word count is below $40 total. BUT, let's say the one factor that slightly changes things is that one of the documents has a quick turnaround of tomorrow morning.
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One PO Mar 16, 2017

Dan Mackey wrote:

For example,

I am naturally inclined to only charge them $40 since, even combining both assignments, the word count is below $40 total. BUT, let's say the one factor that slightly changes things is that one of the documents has a quick turnaround of tomorrow morning.

You Customer could have put both documents in one single PO with two different deadlines, couldn’t they?

I think you should trust your instinct. An extra $40 won’t make you rich. It can, however, upset your customer and consequently you could lose him. Not worth it.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:15
German to Turkish
+ ...
It depends on your relationship with your client. Mar 16, 2017

Actually, it is quite acceptable to charge a minimum fee for two different files if you invoice them separately and/or if you will get the payment in two different times.

Still, it depends very much on your relationship and previous arrangements with your client.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Minimum invoice Mar 17, 2017

I use the term "Minimum invoice", since I consider the minimum charge to basically be to cover the cost of invoicing. For good clients, I will hold off billing until a second order comes along that raises the total above my "minimum invoice". But then, as others have said, it all depends on your relationship with your client.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Always have a minimum charge per service Mar 17, 2017

I've been communicating my minimum charge to all my clients, who either asked for it in advance or negotiated it.

Since my university days (late 80s), I learned that a minimum translation charge should cover the cost of translating 250 to 300 words. Some people prefer a different number, and that's just fine.

Minimum charges are important in many professions. It helps to look to other types of work to see what they consider a minimum charge and then, with that informati
... See more
I've been communicating my minimum charge to all my clients, who either asked for it in advance or negotiated it.

Since my university days (late 80s), I learned that a minimum translation charge should cover the cost of translating 250 to 300 words. Some people prefer a different number, and that's just fine.

Minimum charges are important in many professions. It helps to look to other types of work to see what they consider a minimum charge and then, with that information, make a determination for your own case.
Collapse

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:15
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
If I may Mar 17, 2017

That's a good question Dan has raised.
With two different files only, I wouldn´t probably make an issue.
But what to do when there are some 4 to 7 small files, or sometimes more? Each of them takes its own time to download, to work on it, save and upload.
So far, I haven't dared to charge my minimum for each separate file but, honestly, it gives an uncomfortable feeling.
I haven't come up with a feasible solution yet.
And though my minimum is way lower that 40$ yet
... See more
But what to do when there are some 4 to 7 small files, or sometimes more? Each of them takes its own time to download, to work on it, save and upload.
So far, I haven't dared to charge my minimum for each separate file but, honestly, it gives an uncomfortable feeling.
And though my minimum is way lower that 40$ yet it scaress pretty many potential clients off.
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends Mar 18, 2017

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

And though my minimum is way lower that 40$ yet it scaress pretty many potential clients off.

If my steady customer sends me five small files, I never charge any minimum rate as in most of the cases those five files will certainly contain more than 300 words. I understand that it takes more time to deal with each file, but next week that very customer can send me a 30k word project with generous deadline.

Now, if a new or occasional customer sends me five small files in PDF format that contain 350 words, I will certainly factor in the time it takes to deal with each file as well as conversion or having to work without a commodity of a CAT tool. Therefore, I would charge for actual word count plus an hour for extra work.

I have customers to whom I never charge any minimum fee, no matter how small or difficult the project is. The fact is you cannot have just one commercial policy that applies to all, because one size does not fit all.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
+1 Mar 18, 2017

Merab Dekano wrote:

If my steady customer sends me five small files, I never charge any minimum rate as in most of the cases those five files will certainly contain more than 300 words. I understand that it takes more time to deal with each file, but next week that very customer can send me a 30k word project with generous deadline.

Now, if a new or occasional customer sends me five small files in PDF format that contain 350 words, I will certainly factor in the time it takes to deal with each file as well as conversion or having to work without a commodity of a CAT tool. Therefore, I would charge for actual word count plus an hour for extra work.

I have customers to whom I never charge any minimum fee, no matter how small or difficult the project is. The fact is you cannot have just one commercial policy that applies to all, because one size does not fit all.

This is what I do.

Elena Va
Elena Va
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 19, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

I use the term "Minimum invoice", since I consider the minimum charge to basically be to cover the cost of invoicing. For good clients, I will hold off billing until a second order comes along that raises the total above my "minimum invoice". But then, as others have said, it all depends on your relationship with your client.

"Minimum invoice" is a good term for the agreement when you begin.

But for good clients you always try to find a compromise decision. It is the matter of constant work and very often you choose your client but not your price list:-)

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:15
French to English
subject matter Mar 19, 2017

If both files are clearly part of the same thing, on the same subject matter, I would lump them together.

If they are on wildly different subjects, requiring different expertise and voice, I might want to bill them separately. But I would also take the points raised by everyone else here into account.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:15
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Minimum invoice Mar 20, 2017

The purpose of a minimum invoice, in my opinion, is precisely to put off potential time-wasters. I would not want to translate 10 words, for example, and charge a per word rate, but I would translate 10 words for a one-off client for my minimum invoice amount.
For regular clients the situation does not arise, as they did not become regular clients by offering this type of job.

Dan Mackey (X)
Dan Mackey (X)
United States
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Kudos to Merab and John, and all :) Mar 21, 2017

Merab:
1. You're right, must use discretion and tread carefully. Not worth it to make $30 now but lose a client.
2. As a new translator, I have not yet found a purpose for the "per hour" rate. I will keep this in mind if and when I run into trouble with file management and fussy end-client DTP requests.

John:
1. Minimum Invoice is a term I will adopt.
2. Holding off on billing a regular client makes sense. I was, in fact, dealing in real life with a regular c
... See more
Merab:
1. You're right, must use discretion and tread carefully. Not worth it to make $30 now but lose a client.
2. As a new translator, I have not yet found a purpose for the "per hour" rate. I will keep this in mind if and when I run into trouble with file management and fussy end-client DTP requests.

John:
1. Minimum Invoice is a term I will adopt.
2. Holding off on billing a regular client makes sense. I was, in fact, dealing in real life with a regular client when I asked this hypothetical question. Thanks for this advice, I will use it in the future.

In the end, the real life situation worked out differently, so for now it is moot.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
What is a "language translator"? Mar 27, 2017

Are there other kinds of translators? Non-language translator?

Just asking because I don't know the answer.

Przemek Kalemba wrote:

A great place to start your career as a translator is this Guide on How to Become a Professional Translator: http://www.columbustranslations.co.uk/language-translator. I have put a lot of work into it but I would still love to try and improve on it. That's why please feel free to share and comment and if you'd like to suggest your favourite resources, let me know in the comments below the article so I can add them as and when they come in. Many thanks. Any questions, let me know. You could suggest a section on translation fees...

[Edited at 2017-03-27 12:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for jobs...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »