https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/324013-poll_what_would_you_do_if_working_as_a_freelance_translator_was_suddenly_no_longer_possible.html

Poll: What would you do if working as a freelance translator was suddenly no longer possible?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 26, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What would you do if working as a freelance translator was suddenly no longer possible?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 26, 2018

I don't need to work, financially, but for my mind and spirit. My pension from working full-time for 20 years as in-house translator for an EU institution more than covers my expenses. Let’s say that after taking time off to reassess my priorities I’ll find something else to do…

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:03
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
This has already happened to me in a previous career. Mar 26, 2018

This has already happened to me in a previous career when, due to the great recession caused by the financial crisis of 2007-2008 it was suddenly no longer possible to work as a solicitor/notary in the location in which I wanted to live. On that occasion, I invested my life's savings in order to return to University to retrain for an alternative career in translation. If for some reason it was suddenly no longer possible to work as freelance translator, I would do the same over again and return ... See more
This has already happened to me in a previous career when, due to the great recession caused by the financial crisis of 2007-2008 it was suddenly no longer possible to work as a solicitor/notary in the location in which I wanted to live. On that occasion, I invested my life's savings in order to return to University to retrain for an alternative career in translation. If for some reason it was suddenly no longer possible to work as freelance translator, I would do the same over again and return to University to retrain for a career in an alternative profession. I have always had an interest in archaeology and several people have commented that I would make a good teacher, so those are two possibilities. I wouldn't return to my previous career in law, even if that was to be a possibility, since I can now see how extremely stressful it was taking on everyone else's problems all the time.

[Edited at 2018-03-26 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:03
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Slow down a bit Mar 26, 2018

Like Teresa, I have my pension from when I worked full-time, so I wouldn't feel I had to find a different line of work to pay the bills.

I am a trained landscape designer and I love designing gardens and selecting the right plants for the right places. The work pays much less than translation, so I have only done a handful of designs for clients. If I had more time, I would cultivate (pun intended) my backup profession. There is a lot of demand right now in San Diego, where I live
... See more
Like Teresa, I have my pension from when I worked full-time, so I wouldn't feel I had to find a different line of work to pay the bills.

I am a trained landscape designer and I love designing gardens and selecting the right plants for the right places. The work pays much less than translation, so I have only done a handful of designs for clients. If I had more time, I would cultivate (pun intended) my backup profession. There is a lot of demand right now in San Diego, where I live: water is scarce; its cost has skyrocketed; and the County is offering cash incentives to convert turf to water-sparing landscapes.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:03
German to English
+ ...
the option that was missing Mar 26, 2018

"Return another profession I am qualified in". We see a lot of translators who are also engineers, doctors, teachers. That is also what gives them their specialization in translation. The possibility is rather unlikely in any case.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 16:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Why, put ash on my head, of course, Mar 26, 2018

and cry inconsolably...

I mean, really, what kind of a question is that? I'd go do something else, of course. It happened before, and it may well happen again. Or not. I won't know until I get there.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:03
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 26, 2018

Set up another business.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:03
German to English
+ ...
Ditto Mar 27, 2018

Edward Potter wrote:

Set up another business.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
I have problems but I am still working as a Freelance Translator - Interpreter Mar 27, 2018

Good morning,

It is a major problem.

Some people do not know the languages but want you to work for them. They forget to pay.

Some people have dual nationality but what happened to the education of both languages?

A client asked me to translate a document that was financial and legal. I need time to read the document and understand the context. Then I verify the contexts and start translating.

So... he decided that I was not at
... See more
Good morning,

It is a major problem.

Some people do not know the languages but want you to work for them. They forget to pay.

Some people have dual nationality but what happened to the education of both languages?

A client asked me to translate a document that was financial and legal. I need time to read the document and understand the context. Then I verify the contexts and start translating.

So... he decided that I was not at all a good translator.

These people stay your work and try to create which is nothing but a real disaster.

Another client asked me to translate something to English and then he has not paid the bill that he should have paid. He had several excuses. All false. Nothing can be done for such people. No one knows this supposed to be company. They are supposed to be professional. But where? This man is not available on any website for Translators and Interpreters.

Nothing can be done.

But I work hard and keep working. I study to improve my knowledge and this is something that I do almost every day.

[Edited at 2018-03-27 07:39 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:03
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Retire Mar 30, 2018

Some poll questions are just to take a quick look at...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What would you do if working as a freelance translator was suddenly no longer possible?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »