Poll: Would it be difficult for you to fit in culturally in your source language's country/countries?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 30, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would it be difficult for you to fit in culturally in your source language's country/countries?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No - I’ve done it Mar 30, 2018

I lived happily in Belgium for 31 years (1985-2016). Of course, one has to go through an adaptation period of a few months and I must say that I never got totally adapted to the damp and grey weather, though now that I’m back in sunny Portugal I do miss snow on occasion…

I also lived in Angola for a few months, before and after the independence, it was quite a different experience, but also a good one...

[Edited at 2018-03-30 10:58 GMT]

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:33
English to Italian
No, done it Mar 30, 2018

I lived in England for a while.
I studied there and well, obviously it was not smooth at the beginning, but then everything seems ok. I actually felt better there than here.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:33
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Yes - I've done it Mar 30, 2018

I lived in France and whilst generally I was able to adapt to the culture I found it very difficult to fit in with their culture of excessive love for administration. To me it seemed quite extreme and I found that I was asked to fill in some form or other at least once a fortnight, many of which I completely failed to see the need for. Ultimately, I got so fed up and irritated by it that it was one of the major reasons behind my decision to return to the UK.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Depends which ones Mar 30, 2018

There are many English and French speaking countries around the world - I would definitely have a problem in the African ones. And probably in Romania, especially in rural areas - they seem very religious. I have tried Bulgaria in Communist times and it was OK (for me, coming from another Communist country), but the same problem may exist there now.
Oh yes, and I wouldn't even go to the US, let alone live there!

[Edited at 2018-03-30 14:14 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Mar 30, 2018

Unless it would be living in England, but the US is easy. The same applies to Spain and South and Central America.

peter jackson
peter jackson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
No - I've done it Mar 30, 2018

I've been living in Spain for 34 of the last 37 years so no .... There are things I like more and things I like less but I have no doubt I much prefer living here to the UK, which seems to be going on a rapid downhill path to nowhere.

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
No - I have done it Mar 30, 2018

I used to live in a small village in Kent, England, and I was so happy. I also had an English partner, which was really helpful ... a 12-year relationship!

Vojislava Jankovic (X)
Vojislava Jankovic (X)  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
No, I've done it Mar 30, 2018

I used to live in Italy and it was very nice, interesting an useful for my work. I spent 3 years in Rome, immersed completely in Italian culture and life and I feel half Italian

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No, but I turned it down Mar 30, 2018

In the USA, I am most often taken for a 'local', and mingle with the crowd. However I miss many 'cultural' aspects commonly found in Brazil. That's one of the reasons why I turned down two good job offers I had long ago (1978 in CT, 1987 in FL), which would require me to move there.

In other EN-speaking countries, I'm taken for an American tourist: I just speak the local language, or something close to it. Particularly in England, I stand out like a sore thumb.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:33
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, but I'd refuse several countries if I had the chance Mar 30, 2018

My source language is English. I've lived among Americans and Canadians a good part of my life, above all going to their schools. I could easily live in any English-speaking country, and I'd actually love to have an opportunity to live in Canada, the UK or even Australia, if I could. However, I'd not live in South Africa, as there would be absolutely no advantages as compared to Brazil, and I'd not live in the USA now. I wanted to live in the USA for a long time, but since the 9/11 it has become... See more
My source language is English. I've lived among Americans and Canadians a good part of my life, above all going to their schools. I could easily live in any English-speaking country, and I'd actually love to have an opportunity to live in Canada, the UK or even Australia, if I could. However, I'd not live in South Africa, as there would be absolutely no advantages as compared to Brazil, and I'd not live in the USA now. I wanted to live in the USA for a long time, but since the 9/11 it has become practically impossible for a foreigner to migrate to the USA and to be happy or have opportunities there. It may become the land of opportuinities again some day, but right now, it's a place to avoid, even for tourism purposes.Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No - I've done it Mar 31, 2018

I lived in Mexico for 2 years. While I treasured the friends I made in the American ex-pat community, it would have been nice to spend more time with Mexicans.

Also, I've spent a fair amount of time in visits to Brazil, where my husband was from. On those visits, I have no contact at all with American ex-pats.

[Edited at 2018-03-31 07:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would it be difficult for you to fit in culturally in your source language's country/countries?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »