Poll: Are you using DeepL or DeepL Pro?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 2, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you using DeepL or DeepL Pro?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rita Utt. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
German to English
No May 2, 2018

idea what it is.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No May 2, 2018

It depends what you want to use them for. I tried a brief comparison with GT4T, which performed better in my case (mostly lists of chemical names). However, I think GT4T will soon be leveraging DeepL as well, if it isn't already doing so.

I don't used MT for large screeds of text, just shorter chunks which I then tweak. In general, I'm wary of using MT on an industrial (i.e. large) scale, as without rigorous PEMT revision, any mistakes in previous versions may be perpetuated.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No May 2, 2018

I didn’t know what it was and I’ve never heard of it before, but I searched the Net. As a rule, I don’t use MT.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Nope May 2, 2018

MT is for rush provisional translation only--it's just a draft to speed the typing up a bit, not the translation--whatever they try to brand it.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Yes May 2, 2018

I use it as sort of bilingual thesaurus -- I can click on a word and several options appear. I use it instead of Linguee now (I think they share the same database, anyway).

Eckhard Boehle
Eckhard Boehle  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Now I know what it is! May 3, 2018

I tried it yesterday, I usually use Reverso Context - which is very useful for the patent translations I am doing - and Linguee and sometimes Pons and Wyhlidal, just for fresh ideas, and very seldom Leo.
I will probably try out DeepL a bit more, but I prefer to get the terms in context which is more illustrative.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:27
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TM or Professional Translator, not both May 5, 2018

A professional translator who uses MT will soon be dismissed by their clients. It's a matter of time.
Note: CATs are not MTs.

Nikolay Novitskiy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you using DeepL or DeepL Pro?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »