What is Spot Check Quality Control?
Thread poster: Si Skool
Si Skool
Si Skool
English to Thai
+ ...
Mar 28, 2017

Hi all,

I am new to subtitling and recently I was offered to do a spot check QC for subtitles. Could anyone please clarify to me what should be checked apart from the correctness of the translation? Do I need to check if the timing are appropriate, sound quality, image quality and other technical stuff as well?

Thank you

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 14:18
Estonian to English
+ ...
Spot check Mar 29, 2017

You are never expected to check any technical stuff because you will be working with a very low res copy of the video file.
Just check the correctness of the translation and if the subtitles appear at the right time.
Spot check usually means you review a few minutes at the beginning, a few minutes in the middle and a few at the end - and if there are no major problems, you assume that the rest of the file is OK as well.

S.J
S.J  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Netflix Mar 29, 2017

Is it with Netflix?

Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, Netflix Mar 29, 2017

I have been doing quite a few Spot QCs of Netflix content - lots of sitcoms, cartoons and a couple of films too. It's boring, does not pay well ($ 4.50 per episode), but I needed the additional income at the time.

[Edited at 2017-03-29 18:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Spot Check Quality Control?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »