What programs do you use to create TV/Movie subtitles?
Thread poster: soohyun.kim
soohyun.kim
soohyun.kim
Canada
Local time: 11:43
Korean to English
Jul 13, 2017

Hi, there!

I am interested in subtitling as a freelancer, but I was wondering what programs you recommend for creating subtitles.

I work on a Mac, and I'd be willing to pay for a program if it's proven to be better than the free programs.

I'd love everyone's input!

Thanks!

Fredrik Nowacki
Fredrik Nowacki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:43
English to Swedish
+ ...
These are the ones I use... Jul 17, 2017

Hi soohyunnee!

Well, there are many programs out there: EZTitles seems really popular and I can personally recommend it for being very comprehensive while still being quite easy to use. It's not cheap, but you get alot for the money. Their support staff is really helpful too.

Another program, the one I use the most, is Titlevision. The version I have is an older program called TV2003 that I find somewhat easier to use than EZTitles, but it does not have as many features
... See more
Hi soohyunnee!

Well, there are many programs out there: EZTitles seems really popular and I can personally recommend it for being very comprehensive while still being quite easy to use. It's not cheap, but you get alot for the money. Their support staff is really helpful too.

Another program, the one I use the most, is Titlevision. The version I have is an older program called TV2003 that I find somewhat easier to use than EZTitles, but it does not have as many features as EZTitles. The same company that made Titlevision is now selling another program called Submachine, but I haven't had the time to check it out properly. It's probably worth a look though.

As for free programs, there is a really nice one called SubtitleEdit. I don't use it for the subtitling itself (even though you could), but I find it very useful when doing other stuff like converting between different subtitle-formats and editing time-code, batch processing files etc.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:43
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Subtitle Edit, WinCaps, Subtitle Toolkit Jul 17, 2017

The tool I have used the most is Subtitle Edit.

The tool that I find the best for serious work is WinCaps.

A good alternative that is fairly new a
... See more

A good alternative that is fairly new and still needs some improvement is Oona’s Toolkit.

I have also used Aegisub, but it is not longer actively developed.

[Edited at 2017-07-17 18:48 GMT]
Collapse

soohyun.kim
soohyun.kim
Canada
Korean to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Jul 18, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

A good alternative that is fairly new and still needs some improvement is Oona’s Toolkit.

I have also used Aegisub, but it is not longer actively developed.

[Edited at 2017-07-17 18:48 GMT]

soohyun.kim
soohyun.kim
Canada
Korean to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Jul 18, 2017

Fredrik Nowacki wrote:

Hi soohyunnee!

Another program, the one I use the most, is Titlevision. The version I have is an older program called TV2003 that I find somewhat easier to use than EZTitles, but it does not have as many features as EZTitles. The same company that made Titlevision is now selling another program called Submachine, but I haven't had the time to check it out properly. It's probably worth a look though.

As for free programs, there is a really nice one called SubtitleEdit. I don't use it for the subtitling itself (even though you could), but I find it very useful when doing other stuff like converting between different subtitle-formats and editing time-code, batch processing files etc.

Best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What programs do you use to create TV/Movie subtitles?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »