Thread poster: Rafael Mantovani
Rafael Mantovani
Rafael Mantovani  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 28, 2016

We all know how Across sucks, but they always manage to surprise us with new levels of frustration by failing in points where you'd least expect.

I'm in a big hurry to complete a project for a client, and today I just can't open the program because I cannot renew my crossMarket authentication (what's the point of being asked to do this every few weeks anyway?)

I get the following error message:

"The Across Translator Edition activation failed due to local a
... See more
We all know how Across sucks, but they always manage to surprise us with new levels of frustration by failing in points where you'd least expect.

I'm in a big hurry to complete a project for a client, and today I just can't open the program because I cannot renew my crossMarket authentication (what's the point of being asked to do this every few weeks anyway?)

"The Across Translator Edition activation failed due to local activation environment errors. Please contact the Across support desk for assistance."

I am 100% sure that my password is right. This is absurd.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks!
Collapse

Siontrans
Siontrans
Member (2014)
English to Greek
Hello Rafael, Oct 28, 2016

I had the same experience a few days ago, but when I entered the correct login details I was able to connect to my account.
Regards
sion

Rafael Mantovani wrote:

"The Across Translator Edition activation failed due to local activation environment errors. Please contact the Across support desk for assistance."

I am 100% sure that my password is right. This is absurd.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 21:20
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some usual ways to overcome this Oct 28, 2016

Checking CapsLock, changing the password, changing the browser.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 18:53 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry to say so.... Oct 28, 2016

but Across is S... (fill in the dots yourself), but also cheap, compared with real CAT-tools, hence maybe the decisicion of many agencies for this system (especially in Germany. Why is still an enigma to me). I for one charge 0.03 to 0.04 cents extra (depending the topiic) when working with this unworkable tool. Costs me too much time, and time = money. It is the only CAT that is not compatible with other translation tools. Makes you wondering why.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 23:19 GMT]

... See more
but Across is S... (fill in the dots yourself), but also cheap, compared with real CAT-tools, hence maybe the decisicion of many agencies for this system (especially in Germany. Why is still an enigma to me). I for one charge 0.03 to 0.04 cents extra (depending the topiic) when working with this unworkable tool. Costs me too much time, and time = money. It is the only CAT that is not compatible with other translation tools. Makes you wondering why.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 23:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-28 23:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-28 23:21 GMT]
Collapse

Claudio Rondeico

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
My only solution Oct 29, 2016

I had a great client I worked with. Their only issue was that they used Across. One day, after dealing with a number of bugs which destroyed my productivity, I was so fed-up that I had to tell them I could not work for them anymore, unless they changed program. They said they would think about it and recontact me if they did.
That happened, now they use Wordbee which is much better, and it can also be used offline with other CAT tools (which is what I do).

So my only suggestio
... See more
I had a great client I worked with. Their only issue was that they used Across. One day, after dealing with a number of bugs which destroyed my productivity, I was so fed-up that I had to tell them I could not work for them anymore, unless they changed program. They said they would think about it and recontact me if they did.
That happened, now they use Wordbee which is much better, and it can also be used offline with other CAT tools (which is what I do).

So my only suggestion is: If you have a good relationship with your client and they are willing to listen, ask them whether they could change CAT tool.

I reconfirm that Across is the worst-ever CAT tool I have ever worked with and I hope it goes out of the market one of these days soon.

Giusi
Collapse

Rafael Mantovani
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how it happened Nov 2, 2016

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Unfortunately I have two big clients who won't switch to another tool, and I can't afford to stop working for them now, so I just have to stick with Across and deal with all the bugs, and poorly-engineered features, and a website that's difficult to use even if you're trying to purchase things.

Here's what happened in the end:
My login details were right all the time, and I knew that. The message didn't say my password was wrong or
... See more
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Unfortunately I have two big clients who won't switch to another tool, and I can't afford to stop working for them now, so I just have to stick with Across and deal with all the bugs, and poorly-engineered features, and a website that's difficult to use even if you're trying to purchase things.

Here's what happened in the end:
My login details were right all the time, and I knew that. The message didn't say my password was wrong or anything, it just said that activation had failed due to "local environment" and I had to get in touch with support. I was in a super-duper hurry to finish a project, and not get in trouble with my client again because of Across's bugs (this had happened once, huge configuration problem that took me about SIX hours to solve, and the client was not sympathetic at all).

I submitted a support ticket and got an answer relatively fast, about 30 min, with a guy giving me standard tips on how to solve the issue, none of which applied to my case. Then he called me on the phone, asked questions, didn't seem to know what was going on, I could hear he was nervous and embarrassed, not a great dealer-with-people, but honestly trying to help and be friendly. He then accessed my computer through TeamView, which I find sort of invasive but what the heck, he looked around a lot, he visibly didn't know what to do and had never seen this problem.

After about 20 min of looking around, after I had to reset my password a few times, after the guy downloaded and ran diagnostic software or whatever, he removed some registries using a tool, and this time it seemed to have worked. I was able to login and had access to my dashboard, but a message kept popping up saying my authentication had failed.
As soon as I started working, Across closed suddenly without a warning, and when I started it again, the very same message from the beginning was there, I couldn't login again. Yay.
I called the support guy again, and it took him some more 40 minutes of TeamView (most of this time he kept doing exactly the same thing and it still didn't work, obviously). After some trial and error, we managed to solve the issue when I removed my clients from the login screen and then imported the CAP files again. But clearly he didn't understand what the problem was, and he ended the call in an awkward tone, unwilling to admit that he didn't know what he was doing, as is typical of tech support men.
And the cherry on top: if I understood him right (but he didn't seem to understand it himself) the whole problem originated when I purchased Premium some days before, which caused some sort of account incompatibility (?) that led the authentication system to go bananas.
So ironically, it was my finally deciding to pay them that led to this head-on collision against their incompetence. In the end it was about 2 stressful hours I wasted, and the bitter thought that it was just because of authentication in crossMarket, which I never use and I'm forced to be part of, and I was still paying them for it.

So, my recommendations if you're reading this topic later because you had the same problem:
- Submit a support ticket right away, pray that you'll be heard and that the person will have professional qualification and some social skills
- If you can get at least to the screen where you choose the client, try deleting each client and then importing the CAPs again, that's what worked for me in the end, but only after the support guy had been in my computer and run the registry tool or something to delete old registries
- Think that it could still be much worse (Transit NXT). And pray that, one day, Across will cause so much hell to your clients that they'll be traumatized and convinced to change.

Have a nice day
Collapse

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
.. Jan 6, 2017

[Edited at 2017-01-06 23:02 GMT]

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
same problem Jan 6, 2017

I can't get to the screen where my clients are. Is there anything I can do until someone from Support replies?

Thanks
Anu

Rafael Mantovani
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't think so Jan 6, 2017

hey Swaiyam,

I could only solve the problem with the help of support, the guy guided me on an unprepared trial-and-error path with the registries until it finally worked, I didn't understand that much what happend, and he himself definitely couldn't understand why...

wish you good luck with that

Jose Mota
Jose Mota  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
A solution Mar 3, 2017

For me, the solution to that issue was activating the "Codemeter Runtime Service" in Windows as described by the Across team in the first FAQ here: http://www.across.net/en/support/faq/

Best wishes,

JM

[Bearbeitet am 2017-03-03 10:18 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
crossWeb Mar 3, 2017

Rafael Mantovani wrote:

Perhaps you can use the browser version, crossWeb, instead?

It's quite slow in setting all segments of a project to the reviewed state (Ctrl+Shift+K). I must admit that I only use it for reviewing (not for translating).

Oops, I was just doing such a job and during the setting of the reviewed state, I lost connection to the client's crossWeb server.

(Very stable glasfiber internet here)

[Edited at 2017-03-03 11:12 GMT]

Safnil Safnil
Safnil Safnil  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:20
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Can't use crappy Across because of error in crossMarket authentication Nov 20, 2017

Please try this below.

It works with me. This is workaround provided by support.

If you encounter problems with Across not activating, check if the CodeMeter Service is installed and running. If this service is stopped or paused, you will need to start or restart the service before attempting to login again.

To open the Windows Services:

1. Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog.
2. Type services.msc and then
... See more
Please try this below.

It works with me. This is workaround provided by support.

If you encounter problems with Across not activating, check if the CodeMeter Service is installed and running. If this service is stopped or paused, you will need to start or restart the service before attempting to login again.

To open the Windows Services:

1. Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog.
2. Type services.msc and then press OK.
3. Search for "CodeMeter Runtime Server".
4. If the status shows blank, "Stopped" or "Paused", right click on the service and select "Start".
5. Close the services window, log into Across and try again.

If you use Avast Antivirus, please add the following Across-related folders to the exclusions in Avast Antivirus:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeMeter\Runtime\bin\
C:\ProgramData\CodeMeter\CmAct\
Otherwise, Avast Antivirus will prevent the connection to the Across license server.
You can configure exclusions in the program settings of Avast Antivirus. Further information is available in the vendor's help section.
Collapse

Gruffydd (X)
Gruffydd (X)
United States
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
In my personal case, the more I explore CAT tools, the more I like SDL Trados Studio Dec 2, 2017

I personally don't have time for quirky, whimsical or convoluted software. It's 2017, not 1997. We are in the world of Agile software and nimble solutions. If you are a developer, you can make your software all the complicated you want, but the end user should not notice that, ever.

[Edited at 2017-12-03 14:44 GMT]

Dominika Lupa
Dominika Lupa  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
What just worked for me: Jan 15, 2018

the helpdesk downloaded manually to my computer:

.Net framework 4.2.5

and it just started working.

(I have Windows 7 SP1, the Across version is 6.3, 11786)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't use crappy Across because of error in crossMarket authentication

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »