A very amazing site about Latin texts and their translation.
Thread poster: Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2005

Hi Latin Lovers!

Have found a very amazing site (actually, the best I ever found on this subject and I know many…) about Latin texts and their translation :

“ Corpus Scriptorum Latinorum “

Where you will find almost all existing texts written in Latin with their translations (when available) in various languages. When the translation is not available, you will find the latin text and it can be very useful for those ones who dedicate themselves to roma
... See more
Hi Latin Lovers!

Have found a very amazing site (actually, the best I ever found on this subject and I know many…) about Latin texts and their translation :

“ Corpus Scriptorum Latinorum “

Where you will find almost all existing texts written in Latin with their translations (when available) in various languages. When the translation is not available, you will find the latin text and it can be very useful for those ones who dedicate themselves to roman studies…

http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/index.html

One of the most interesting and important features of this website is its “search engine” which is very powerful and allows very sharp and accurate searching with various criteria. For instance, you can enter a whole phrase in latin or a simple locution or a name and you will obtain immediately a listing of latin texts where your entry can be found. If there is a translation available it will appear in the listing too.

Don’t’ leave the site without paying a visit to :

http://www.forumromanum.org/index.html

which is the Harvard’s University Website dedicated to Roman History and Roman studies. It would be an offense to the Gods not doing it…
Collapse

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, endlessly fascinating Nov 17, 2005

Hi Thierry,

Someone asked me recently for a few terms in English and Latin for a little dinner and mutual appreciation session with an ancient Rome theme. My Latin is now as good as dead, so I asked here and was helped! but also visited this site, which turned up some nice cross-references and sayings for the context of strategists hosting an awards dinner.

Note on Strategus, link with hosting a banquet - the "presider" (president); maybe stretched to "convenor" (of a g
... See more
Hi Thierry,

Someone asked me recently for a few terms in English and Latin for a little dinner and mutual appreciation session with an ancient Rome theme. My Latin is now as good as dead, so I asked here and was helped! but also visited this site, which turned up some nice cross-references and sayings for the context of strategists hosting an awards dinner.

Note on Strategus, link with hosting a banquet - the "presider" (president); maybe stretched to "convenor" (of a gathering)

I. Lit., a military leader, general, commander: nec strategus, nec tyrannus quisquam, Plaut. Curc. 2, 3, 6 .--*
II. Transf., the presider, president at a banquet: strategum te facio huic convivio, Plaut. Stich. 5, 4, 20 ; 5, 4, 23

Note on laurel (wreath)
A proverb: laureolam in mustaceo (non) quaerere - to look for a laurel wreath in a cake (don't look for a laurel wreath in a cake), i.e., for fame in trifles.
I. a must-cake or laurel-cake, a kind of wedding-cake mixed with must and baked on bay-leaves: mustaceos sic facito, etc., Cato, R. R. 121 ; Juv. 6, 200.--Prov.: laureolam in mustaceo quaerere, to look for a laurel-wreath in a cake, i. e. for fame in trifles, Cic. Att. 5, 20, 4.

I found the site somewhat hard to navigate but lost a lot of the afternoon just pursuing interesting links and cross-references.

All the best,
Terry
Collapse

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Very interesting! Nov 17, 2005

Hi Thierry,

can't wait to have some more time to examine those websites.

Also, I recommend the lovely www.perseus.tufts.edu (click on "Classics" - It's a great resource too

Hugs,
Flavio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A very amazing site about Latin texts and their translation.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »