A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2020

Good morning colleagues

I've been asked by one of my clients for a quote on a job consisting of several files. When I generate the analysis in Trados, it gives me a figure for "cross-file repetitions". What kind of discount does one apply for this? I've only ever given discounts for 100% repetitions. Are cross-file repetitions the same? What kind of discount would one apply if 63% of the files consist of these? Finally, is there any way of recognising this matches in the Trado
... See more
Good morning colleagues

I've been asked by one of my clients for a quote on a job consisting of several files. When I generate the analysis in Trados, it gives me a figure for "cross-file repetitions". What kind of discount does one apply for this? I've only ever given discounts for 100% repetitions. Are cross-file repetitions the same? What kind of discount would one apply if 63% of the files consist of these? Finally, is there any way of recognising this matches in the Trados editor environment? For example, other matches are highlighted with the pecentage number or "CM" etc.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Anita
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Definition Oct 27, 2020

A cross-file repetition is a segment that's repeated in another file from the lot analysed. They are actual "100%" repetitions, i.e. repetitions as we dinosaurs know them.
I don't know why cross-file repetitions and intra-file repetitions are segregated. Apart from the fact that the more detailed the analysis, the more confusing. Gluing files together makes cross- and intra-file repetitions repetitions (good one).
No idea either about how they are displayed in Trados.

A
... See more
A cross-file repetition is a segment that's repeated in another file from the lot analysed. They are actual "100%" repetitions, i.e. repetitions as we dinosaurs know them.
I don't know why cross-file repetitions and intra-file repetitions are segregated. Apart from the fact that the more detailed the analysis, the more confusing. Gluing files together makes cross- and intra-file repetitions repetitions (good one).

A rate of 63% of cross-file repetitions between, say, two files means that they are very similar.

Philippe
Collapse

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 28, 2020

Thanks Phillippe. Your explanation is very helpful.

I think they do this to keep us on our toes!

Best wishes

Philippe Etienne wrote:

A rate of 63% of cross-file repetitions between, say, two files means that they are very similar.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discounts for Cross-File Repetitions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »