The basic use of CafeTran Espresso is very simple!
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Apr 27, 2021

Though CafeTran has advanced features, its basic use is very simple.

Install it, launch it, drag a document onto the Dashboard and start translating right away. A project glossary will be created automatically. A free Machine Translation engine will support you.

How simple is that?

Here is a short video:

https://youtu.be/LyueZotpowk

Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene
Philip Lees
Kawthar Busari

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
FIrst Apr 27, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:

Install it, launch it, drag a document onto the Dashboard and start translating right away. A project glossary will be created automatically. A free Machine Translation engine will support you.

How simple is that?

Here is a short video:

Not quite.

First of all you need to find out what the following terms mean:

Dashboard
Project glossary
Machine translation engine
- etc. and many other terms.

However, after some initial trial and error I found CafeTran very easy to pick up and a pleasure to use - athough finding out how it works is still a matter of trial and error. I still don't understand tags, text colours, and a million other things and the explanations only make them more incomprehensible. But I'm using CT now as a regular working tool and find it invaluable. The most useful feature is the translation memories, although I had to figure out for myself how to use (and re-use) them.

[Edited at 2021-04-27 07:48 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Laurent Di Raimondo

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Is the use of jargon really necessary? Apr 27, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Dashboard
Project glossary

Good point. I'm not really sure whether the use of jargon is indeed really necessary.

Given that the original use of the video was to educate some very profound users of CAT tools, I simply used those terms. However, I could have recorded the video, using words like: Start screen, word list, translational suggestions from the web. Or simply call everything 'thing' and only use the verb 'do'.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:18
English to Russian
Thank you for the video Apr 27, 2021

May I ask a minor question? Why do you need 2 windows for identical contents? They seem to duplicate each other. I use Transifex from time to time that has a similar layout with duplicating panes. I can't understand why do I need to have them twice on my screen? Maybe you can explain?... See more
May I ask a minor question? Why do you need 2 windows for identical contents? They seem to duplicate each other. I use Transifex from time to time that has a similar layout with duplicating panes. I can't understand why do I need to have them twice on my screen? Maybe you can explain?

[Edited at 2021-04-27 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
jargon Apr 27, 2021

Yes, we have to learn the jargon in order to find and understand instructions on how to do things. My first CAT tool was Trados. There was no manual and no tutorial. There was a "knowledge base," and maybe a puny "tutorial" that SDL puts out, mainly just as promotional material, to get a little bit of a start. It took me about a month to figure out how to set it up and use it adequately.

For instance, you get to a certain step but in order to do it, you have to look in the ind
... See more
Yes, we have to learn the jargon in order to find and understand instructions on how to do things. My first CAT tool was Trados. There was no manual and no tutorial. There was a "knowledge base," and maybe a puny "tutorial" that SDL puts out, mainly just as promotional material, to get a little bit of a start. It took me about a month to figure out how to set it up and use it adequately.

For instance, you get to a certain step but in order to do it, you have to look in the index to find out how, or where to find what it is they are telling you to click. By trial and error, and reading things in context, I would finally find the right word in the index and get to that part of the instructions.

After using Trados for quite a while, it was then much easier for me to catch on to CafeTran Espresso and MemoQ. I still had to learn new terms in order to find how to follow instructions, such as what is a dashboard.

Jargon is needful; we would never find what we need in the index if everything is called a "thingy" or even if it is described. Ha! Perhaps a glossary of jargon would help the novices and people who know a little bit of it but not enough yet.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
agree, it is a waste of space Apr 27, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

May I ask a minor question? Why do you need 2 windows for identical contents? They seem to duplicate each other. I use Transifex from time to time that has a similar layout with duplicating panes. I can't understand why do I need to have them twice on my screen? Maybe you can explain?

[Edited at 2021-04-27 14:19 GMT]

I asked Igor about this years ago. His take, if memory serves, is he feels this allows the translator to focus better on the bit they are working on, rather than the whole grid. However, there is a View (View > Window layout > Layout 6 Compact) that sort of fixes this, which he added after a few of us kept asking for it.

In my opinion, no one does it better than memoQ, with its grid + TMs/TBs combined. Very compact and logical.

Stepan Konev

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran jargon Apr 27, 2021

MollyRose wrote:

For instance, you get to a certain step but in order to do it, you have to look in the index to find out how, or where to find what it is they are telling you to click. By trial and error, and reading things in context, I would finally find the right word in the index and get to that part of the instructions.

After using Trados for quite a while, it was then much easier for me to catch on to CafeTran Espresso and MemoQ. I still had to learn new terms in order to find how to follow instructions, such as what is a dashboard.

Jargon is needful; we would never find what we need in the index if everything is called a "thingy" or even if it is described. Ha! Perhaps a glossary of jargon would help the novices and people who know a little bit of it but not enough yet.

A few CafeTran aficionados (myself included) created one (or at least, tried to) years and years ago, which I am still hosting (for posterity) at: https://beijerpedia.com/archive/ct/cafetran.wikidot.com/definitions.html

However, it's very outdated by now. These days, I always recommend Jean Dimitriadis’ amazing ‘TheCafeTranFiles’.

-> https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki

allthingsgo
Daniela L. Rodrigues

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:18
English to Russian
Thank you Apr 27, 2021

for your explanation.
Michael Beijer wrote:
I asked Igor about this years ago. His take, if memory serves, is he feels this allows the translator to focus better on the bit they are working on, rather than the whole grid.

Tom in London

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Compact layout Apr 28, 2021

Michael Beijer wrote:

However, there is a View (View > Window layout > Layout 6 Compact) that sort of fixes this, which he added after a few of us kept asking for it.

See: https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/338258-first_look_at_the_user_interfaces_of_several_cat_tools.html

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Churchill on jargon Apr 28, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Dashboard
Project glossary

Good point. I'm not really sure whether the use of jargon is indeed really necessary.

At the height of the Battle of Britain with war all round him Churchill barked out an edict banning bureaucratese, legalese, officialese, jargon and other gobbledygook in favour of plain English. To him it was the fastest method of conveying concise, unambiguous messages to command.

[Edited at 2021-04-28 01:20 GMT]

MollyRose

Kawthar Busari
Kawthar Busari  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2023)
French to English
+ ...
Youtube says the video added is no longer available. Was looking forward to it :) Dec 26, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

How simple is that?

Here is a short video:

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Solutions Dec 26, 2023

See: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/6000043038

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
German version / deutsche Übersetzung Dec 30, 2023

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000069041

[Edited at 2023-12-30 22:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The basic use of CafeTran Espresso is very simple!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »