the best and easiest CAT for the newbie
Thread poster: anna sherman
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
cue Apr 22, 2018

Esperantisto, aren't almost* any modern CAT tool support Unicode/UTF and wildecards? However, it's always better to start with free or inexpensive tools and watch some youtubes to find one's position.

Tom, you talk well, but Natalie is talking too--cloning has little to do with "the best and easiest CAT", let alone
... See more
Esperantisto, aren't almost* any modern CAT tool support Unicode/UTF and wildecards? However, it's always better to start with free or inexpensive tools and watch some youtubes to find one's position.

Tom, you talk well, but Natalie is talking too--cloning has little to do with "the best and easiest CAT", let alone it's rather a specific CAT question... or a Mac and CafeTran gingerbreading.
Collapse

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 15:50
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Anna, please look at this: Apr 22, 2018

www.freetm.com

Also, find the WordFast Anywhere group on Yahoo.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Eh? Apr 22, 2018

DZiW wrote:

Esperantisto, aren't almost* any modern CAT tool support Unicode/UTF and wildecards?

I think so. But the point of your question is escaping me.

However, it's always better to start with free…

Of course, free software is always the best option.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:50
English to Russian
MultiTerm comes free of charge with SDL Trados Studio Freelance and Professional licenses Apr 23, 2018

Georgie Scott wrote:

If you get Trados Studio, you will need to buy MultiTerm separately to use this feature.

Georgie, unfortunately, you have just made a false statement. I hope the SDL people won't sue you for reputational damage Please have a look at the comparison of SDL Trados Studio editions below. As you will see, MultiTerm is included with SDL Trados Studio Freelance and Professional licenses.

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000002827

I suggest that you edit your original posting to this effect

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:50
French to English
+ ...
That's good Apr 23, 2018

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Georgie Scott wrote:

If you get Trados Studio, you will need to buy MultiTerm separately to use this feature.

Georgie, unfortunately, you have just made a false statement. I hope the SDL people won't sue you for reputational damage Please have a look at the comparison of SDL Trados Studio editions below. As you will see, MultiTerm is included with SDL Trados Studio Freelance and Professional licenses.

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000002827

I suggest that you edit your original posting to this effect

Maybe one day they will make the information on their site a little bit clearer!!

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
To CAT, or not to CAT Apr 23, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Huh? I've been working without CATS for many years. I find they are completely dispensable.

Yes, I have a colleague who prefers using a goose quill and sheepskin, sending his translations to clients by mail coach. He sometimes drops me a line or two from his psychiatric ward

More recently I have considered other CATS but I've decided against them because I clone my hard drive every day and, as I understand it, cloning would invalidate my licence.

You are absolutely wrong in your understanding. I use CrashPlan Pro for continuous backup of my hard drive, and it does not affect any software licenses.

Anyway life's too short, I'm too busy, and all CATs require a learning curve.

Exactly, CAT tools save you hours of work. You can use these additional hours for leisure, pleasure, or to earn more money.

So I beg to disagree; I'm a busy successful translator perfectly happy to work without a CAT (except of the furry kind).

You might be a much wealthier busy successful translator with a CAT of your choice (and, perhaps, one or two of the furry kind running around you). The busiest translators are those unsuccessful and rather unhappy colleagues who agree to work for $0.01-0.02 per source word. On the other hand, over the last few years, I taught several of my colleagues to use SDL Trados Studio. All of them are busy successful translators with a CAT (and, perhaps, one or two of the furry kind running around them) perfectly happy to work with SDL Trados Studio 2014/2015/2017. Each reports a dramatic increase in his or her daily and monthly throughputs.

CATs seem to be about one thing and one thing only: saving time by identifying repetitions, thereby enabling the outsourcer to charge less, and to demand a copy of the TM you've used, which enables the outsourcer to charge still less...and less... and less...and of course if you refuse to hand over the TM, the outsourcer will never give you any more work.

I have been offering Trados fuzzy matches and providing project TMXs upon request since 2003 (Trados 6.5 at that point). My rates doubled and tripled over that period, yet some of my existing clients date back to mid-2000s.

Maybe if I ever have time to spare and no urgent work coming in with next-day delivery deadlines, I'll take time out to explore some more CATS.

Very sound idea.

I read this one in 2010 or 2011. The verdict: BS

P.S. I am an early adopter of multiple technologies that make my life easier. For instance, I seem to be the only individual subscriber to SDL Trados GroupShare 2017 in Russia/CIS and possibly Eastern Europe.

[Edited at 2018-04-23 06:41 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Where did you look? Apr 23, 2018

Georgie Scott wrote:

Maybe one day they will make the information on their site a little bit clearer!!

Hi Georgie,

I'm not sure what you read that gave you the idea you had to pay for Multiterm, unless you just looked at the cost of purchasing it as a standalone product? If you look at the details of what's included with the different versions of Studio then perhaps it gives you the information you need:

https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/editions-comparison.html

Professional and Freelance versions clearly stats that they include SDL MultiTerm. Only the Starter version does not.

Regards

Paul

SDL Community

Georgie Scott
France
French to English
+ ...
Where I looked Apr 23, 2018

SDL Community wrote:

Georgie Scott wrote:

Hi Georgie,

I'm not sure what you read that gave you the idea you had to pay for Multiterm, unless you just looked at the cost of purchasing it as a standalone product? If you look at the details of what's included with the different versions of Studio then perhaps it gives you the information you need:

https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/editions-comparison.html

Professional and Freelance versions clearly stats that they include SDL MultiTerm. Only the Starter version does not.

Regards

Paul

SDL Community

Yes, I think it was the fact that MultiTerm is also sold as a stand alone product that made me think that.

I have been looking at upgrading for the last 6 months and got the impression that MultiTerm wasn't included anymore. Apparently this is not the case, hurrah! I'm afraid I'm not going to dissect why I thought this or start trying to defend it either as it's not really my problem.

As I said, despite understanding that Tom and others aren't interested in CAT tools and being surprised that others want to insist he uses them, I do find them handy and Trados Studio is my favourite.

I would recommend trying the free trials of paying CATs though, as I am really not a fan of the free tools available (please don't feel you need to tell me why I'm wrong about this, it's just personal preference and I have the read the rest of the thread).

Edited to point out that I did not compare versions, I wouldn't expect discussion of MultiTerm to only appear at that point, as I know already that I don't want to buy the starter or professional version.

[Edited at 2018-04-23 10:32 GMT]

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
English to Italian
Info Apr 23, 2018

Hi Georgie,
glad Paul cleared the point on MultiTerm - but noted your feedback and will pass on to the marketing team. We do want to make sure the website is clear so your comment is valuable and hopefully it will help us improve.

Kind regards
Massi

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TMs Apr 23, 2018

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

quite a lot

Answer my point about TMs.

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
@Tom in London - Project TMs Apr 23, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

quite a lot

As I mentioned in my previous message, I make available project TMs (as TMX files) upon request. Anyway, any client can easily align the source and target files, thus obtaining a copy of the project TM in TMX format for subsequent import into their own 'big mama' TM.

Georgie Scott
France
French to English
+ ...
I was going to say this Apr 23, 2018

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

quite a lot

As I mentioned in my previous message, I make available project TMs (as TMX files) upon request. Anyway, any client can easily align the source and target files, thus obtaining a copy of the project TM in TMX format for subsequent import into their own 'big mama' TM.

TMs are really useful (for both agencies and freelancers) but I think they are slightly less useful than you make them sound, Tom. It's really more about situations where you would cut and paste something or not have to really think to deal with a sentence because one word has simply been replaced by a synonym.

Agencies will never see your own TMs and about half the time they won't even add their own TM to projects, sometimes it's just not worth it.

As I said, I don't think your fears are completely unfounded and I agree that CATs are not indispensable, but I think that if you did use a CAT tool some of your fears would be probably be assuaged.

Again, this is coming from someone who would never give her CATs up.

Edited to say that if an agency drops you because you refuse to share the project TM, it is probably because that it quite an obtuse thing to do if you've used a CAT tool, as, although they can align the documents and create their own TM, you have the TM just sitting there ready to go already. It would be a bit like forcing someone to get up and fetch water from the tap because you don't want to pass them the water jug right in front of you.

[Edited at 2018-04-23 15:40 GMT]

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
CATs and translators Apr 23, 2018

Georgie Scott wrote:

As I said, I don't think your [Tom's] fears are completely unfounded and I agree that CATs are not indispensable, but I think that if you [Tom] did use a CAT tool some of your fears would be probably be assuaged.

Again, this is coming from someone who would never give her CATs up.

+1

I would never give up my two CATs. One is the current reincarnation of SDL Trados Studio Professional (2017) and the other one is of the furry kind. The latter is a tomcat (no offense meant, Tom) named Kuzya.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the best and easiest CAT for the newbie

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »