Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:56
Member (2017)
English to German
Jul 19, 2020

H all,

The agency I work with requires a completed LTB report (for QC purposes). The CAT tool they are using has no inbuilt QC functionality.
Usually, when I generate the report the report automatically opens as an Excel spreadsheet when I click the 'view'-button in LTB (Linguistic Tool Box). I can then view all flagged issues and either mark them as 'ignore' or 'mark' and fix them in the actual CAT tool.
Last time I worked in LTB was end of May and everything worked fi
... See more
H all,

The agency I work with requires a completed LTB report (for QC purposes). The CAT tool they are using has no inbuilt QC functionality.
Usually, when I generate the report the report automatically opens as an Excel spreadsheet when I click the 'view'-button in LTB (Linguistic Tool Box). I can then view all flagged issues and either mark them as 'ignore' or 'mark' and fix them in the actual CAT tool.
Last time I worked in LTB was end of May and everything worked fine. This time I am unable to view the file. My PC simply doesnt give me the option to open the file with Excel, even when I right click on the file to select 'open with'. I already updated LTB and my PC.
I'm really lost. I'm using Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 365 and Excel is working without issues otherwise.

Has anybody else had this problem and knows what to do?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Annett
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Is it an XML Excel file? Jul 19, 2020

Annett Roessner wrote:
My PC simply doesnt give me the option to open the file with Excel, even when I right click on the file to select 'open with'. I'm using Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 365 and Excel is working without issues otherwise.

This may be an XML Excel file whose file extension was hijacked by another program. Have you tried opening Excel first, and then drag and drop the file to either the middle of the Excel window or to the ribbon or to the window bar above the ribbon?

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I can't thank you enough!! Jul 19, 2020

Hi Samuel,

You have no idea how much you helped me. This did the trick. Now if I could just get 3 hours of my Sunday night back that I spent trying to fix this.
You are a life saver!!!

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Annett

Robin LEPLUMEY
Robin LEPLUMEY
France
Local time: 13:56
English to French
+ ...
Save as xls Jul 23, 2020

I missed the action, but FWIW I used to work with LTB reports and always changed the format when generating the reports in the LTB program (simply replacing ".xml" with ".xls" in the folder path). Just another workaround

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
So helpful Jul 31, 2020

Thank you so much, Robin.

This did the trick.

Best,

Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to view LTB report (.xml-file) with Excel

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »