How do you keep MP3 file on your screen while typing in Word?
Thread poster: Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 11:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 27, 2020

Hi, I have recently been offered a job to do transcription of an audio file. The audio file was sent to me in the format of an MP3 file. I want to pin this file to my Word document so I can easily turn the audio on and off when I am typing, but the file disappears to the task bar as soon as I type in Word, after which I have to "call it up" from the task bar again, listen again, after which it disappears to the task bar again as soon as I start typing. Is there any way to keep an MP3 file on the... See more
Hi, I have recently been offered a job to do transcription of an audio file. The audio file was sent to me in the format of an MP3 file. I want to pin this file to my Word document so I can easily turn the audio on and off when I am typing, but the file disappears to the task bar as soon as I type in Word, after which I have to "call it up" from the task bar again, listen again, after which it disappears to the task bar again as soon as I start typing. Is there any way to keep an MP3 file on the same screen as the word file without it disappearing as soon as I type? Any help will be gratefully received!Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Willemina Jan 27, 2020

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:
Is there any way to keep an MP3 file on the same screen as the word file without it disappearing as soon as I type?

Option 1: Do not maximise your Word window, but resize it so that you can see the MP3 player and the Word window both at the same time, e.g. the MP3 player at the top of the screen, and the Word window underneath it.

Option 2: In VLC Player, go View > Always on top. Other MP3 players may have similar menus. What is the name of your MP3 player?

Option 3: Make sure your Word window and the MP3 player are the only windows open, and then press Alt+Tab every time you want to switch to the MP3 player and back.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
Always on top Jan 27, 2020

It would be a rare media player that doesn't have an "Always on top" option.

Although this day and age, you might find it even more convenient to use your phone to play the file while you type.

Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 27, 2020

Hi Samuel,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I just found out that I can open this MP3 file in Windows Media Player, which will stay on the same screen as my word file. So sorted it myself as well. But many thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Transcription software Jan 27, 2020

Willemina: Have you considered downloading transcription software to help you? I can't personally imagine doing transcription without something. I used to use ExpressScribe. It has a free version or a free trial period, but it isn't expensive to buy and well wo5rth the small investment, IMO.

John Fossey
Laura Kingdon

Sana Hilal
Sana Hilal  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Express Scribe Jan 27, 2020

You can use this software. A free trial version is available .
https://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

Pierre Souchar
Pierre Souchar  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:34
English to French
+ ...
Otranscribe is the solution ! Jan 29, 2020

For me, the best solution is the free Web page "Otranscribe" (https://otranscribe.com/).
You will see a page where you can access your file on your computer or if it is a Youtube video, you can write it's address.
Once the video or mp3 file is loaded, you'll see below a blank document (like a Google doc) where you'll be able to transcribe.
You have three shortcuts: Esc for reading or stopping
... See more
For me, the best solution is the free Web page "Otranscribe" (https://otranscribe.com/).
You will see a page where you can access your file on your computer or if it is a Youtube video, you can write it's address.
Once the video or mp3 file is loaded, you'll see below a blank document (like a Google doc) where you'll be able to transcribe.
You have three shortcuts: Esc for reading or stopping, F1 for rewinding and F2 for forwarding.
When you press Esc again in rewinds automatically 5 seconds back.
When finished, just copy and past the text in a Word document, with your preferred layout.

IMHO, it's a very good solution.

Please note that I am note related to the smart person who invented it.

Hope this will help.

Pierre S.
Collapse

David Hop
David Hop
Bangladesh
Learnt a lot from this thread! Mar 19, 2020

Thanks a lot guys. I learnt a lot from this thread.

Joannzzz
Joannzzz
Local time: 22:34
English to Chinese
Express Scribe Transcription Software Mar 16, 2021

Yes Express Scribe is good to use.
https://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you keep MP3 file on your screen while typing in Word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »