Lithuania
Local time: 18:25
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

A quote from another thread ("Need Suggestions for a Fax Machine"):

Henk Peelen wrote:

I liked two computers: one for e-mail, internet and displaying reference documents, and another one exclusively for working.

Hi Henk & Co,

I don't quite understand what is so good about working on two computers: one for e-mail, internet and displaying reference documents, and another one exclusively for working? Is it more convenient? More secure? Or what?

The matter is that at the moment I've got two computers but I use mostly only one of them and I don't know what to do with the second one.

To be exact I use a part of my second computer: its monitor. And I should say that it's simply amazing to work on two screens, now I can't even imagine how I managed before to work with only one monitor. If you have a chance to work on two monitors - go for it, you will never regret!

But what to do with all other parts of my second computer: processor, modem, 2 HDDs, CD-ROM drive, CD-RW drive, floppy drive, etc? To sell? Well, though all the parts are in perfect condition I do know that I won't get even a half of the money which were invested in it and I'm somewhat reluctant to sell it for peanuts. Perhaps it's still possible to make some use of my second computer (or at least some parts of it) similar to what I do with its monitor?

Some technical details on my computers:

1st (Toshiba Sattelite A15-S129 notebook):

- processor: Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz
- HDD: 40 GB
- DDR SDRAM: 256 MG
- broadband-ready with integrated 10/100 Ethernet & V.92 modem
- DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive
- 15" display
- external FDD

2nd (desktop):

- processor: Intel Celeron 433 MHz
- HDD 1: 4.3 GB
- HDD 2: 80 GB
- RAM: 256 MG
- video: SIS 6326 4 Mb AGP
- sound: Yamaha 724F PCI
- mainboard: Gigabyte GA-6BA 100 MHz slot 1 AT
- case: MiniTower AT
- FDD
- internal modem: US Robotics PCI 56K
- CD-ROM Teac
- CD-RW Nec

As you can see from the data provided my laptop is much more powerful than my desktop computer. I use my notebook as my main computer (like a desktop one) in my home office. But how can I use my second computer provided I'm the only computer user in my family?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Nikita Kobrin
======

[Edited at 2004-04-07 11:49]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:25
German to English
+ ...
How can one use two computers? Apr 6, 2004

Hi Nikita,

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

The matter is that at the moment I've got two computers but I use mostly only one of them and I don't know what to do with the second one.

1) A spare computer is always a good form of insurance. What would you do if your first computer failed shortly before a deadline?

2) Install Linux on it. I recommend Knoppix.

Marc

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 18:25
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
* Apr 6, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

1) A spare computer is always a good form of insurance. What would you do if your first computer failed shortly before a deadline?

2) Install Linux on it. I recommend Knoppix.

Hi Marc,

1) Thanx for the suggestion. It's something. But still I would like to know what else I could do with it.

2) Well, I do know that you're a Linux fun but I'm afraid it's too much for me now to switch to another OS. Perhaps some day...

NK

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Marc said it! Apr 6, 2004

Hi Nikita,

first of all KEEP your second computer in working condition. Silly things happen and usually just before the deadline - more then once or twice my professional life was literary saved because I could finish the job like nothing happened and only after that take care of problems (it was a nasty virus once, coffee on the keyboard, HDD failure, monitor failure). The HDD failure was really a big problem, for di
... See more
Hi Nikita,

first of all KEEP your second computer in working condition. Silly things happen and usually just before the deadline - more then once or twice my professional life was literary saved because I could finish the job like nothing happened and only after that take care of problems (it was a nasty virus once, coffee on the keyboard, HDD failure, monitor failure). The HDD failure was really a big problem, for different reasons I could not afford a new computer at that moment (and my working one urgently needed replacement). Changing back to the old machine was not nice, but I was still able to continue work and buy a new laptop fairly quickly.

The second advice: install Linux and/or Open Office and start trying it - yes, I can subscribe to this as well! May be after some time you won't even be looking for MS stuff...:)

Magda
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:25
English to German
+ ...
Printer Server and Emergency Computer in a LAN Apr 6, 2004

I use my old PC as a printer server, so a print job can no longer slow me down.
You will have to install a LAN for this purpose, but that's easy with XP (when it works at all).

And my internet connection often does not work (1 day a month), so I use a different connection for the old PC.

Have fun,
Harry

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Router as the hub of a LAN Apr 6, 2004

Yes, I think two computers are worth the money (especially when you have already one and want to buy a more updated one for your work speed).

In my case the main advantage is displaying the accompanying PDF on my "internet computer", while translating the Word document on the "work computer". Especially with technical translations you sometimes get PDF's of about 100 pages. Imagine the time and concentration displaying on the "work computer" would take.

Printing the PD
... See more
Yes, I think two computers are worth the money (especially when you have already one and want to buy a more updated one for your work speed).

In my case the main advantage is displaying the accompanying PDF on my "internet computer", while translating the Word document on the "work computer". Especially with technical translations you sometimes get PDF's of about 100 pages. Imagine the time and concentration displaying on the "work computer" would take.

Printing the PDF would be a possibility, but takes time and space as well. That's especially a disadvantage for PDF's with a lot of figures. Next tot that a hard copy doesn't offer you the search possibility, which is in my opinion a very usefull one when you want to look if a difficult word appears somewhere else in the same document.

Thirdly my e mail program and internet connections (I quite often listen to an internet radio station and / or look at Proz and / or search for information) don't place a load on my work computer (and not on me, because navigating with Alt+Tab between your applications goes easier with six applications (at least the Workbench concordance and a general and a specific dictionary) than with twelve applications, for instance).
When I can leave my Word document and Trados workbench visible on my work computer, I feel much more free to search on the internet or scroll in a PDF; I think this increases not only the work speed, but the quality as well!
This could be a peronal experience, however.

My computer supplier recommended me a router as the hub of a LAN. This one costs about Euro 100 and offers the possibility to connect up to 4 computers to each other and to the internet. Next to that, all computers need a network card of some dozen Euros. He also advised the possibility of two screens on one computer (in my case the internet computer), it takes some Euro 400 for an special graphic card and an additional screen, but offers a lot.
This configuration took a lot of money, but I don't regret it. I think it saves a lot of time, especially on jobs with huge accompanying PDF's and sometimes that Excel glossaries with which the client wants to make you happy. In 2002, I needed a laptop because I was some time in Canada and would like to continue some ongoing projects, so I incorporated it in the network.

See
http://www.henkpeelen.com/computer.htm
for some speedy taken pictures of the arrangement.
Collapse

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
agree with henk + 3 keyboards, no kidding! Apr 7, 2004

My desktop holds one big Athlon PC and one small but charming Apple iBook
iBook is not affected by any PC viruses so it is use for all internet tasks.
It has a perfect display and just fits PDF and Mac DTP jobs.
Three keyboards give the ultimate usability for the two computers.

Arterm

[Edited at 2004-04-07 09:32]

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Upgrade your processor Apr 7, 2004

and maybe your video card and you're flying (OK - walking pretty fast).
I'm sure you can find a used processor and maybe a 16 MB card somewhere.

Using a computer as a fax machine has the drawback of having it turned on all the time to receive faxes (although it can probably hibernate) and bulk - it's a pretty big fax with the box and monitor. It's also a waste of resources - the machine is really not that bad.... See more
and maybe your video card and you're flying (OK - walking pretty fast).
I'm sure you can find a used processor and maybe a 16 MB card somewhere.

Using a computer as a fax machine has the drawback of having it turned on all the time to receive faxes (although it can probably hibernate) and bulk - it's a pretty big fax with the box and monitor. It's also a waste of resources - the machine is really not that bad.
Or give it to your kids. You can always keep a small partition somewhere for yourself and shanghai the computer from them if you need it for whatever purpose.
I will never (my daughter is 4 1/2 now) let her touch my main working computer, no matter how careful she is, but I will buy her a second computer when she needs it.

cheers,
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can one use two computers?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »