Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:21
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 17, 2011

I have recently purchased a Dell N5030 and would like to know whether I can use our spare AC power adapter Dell PA-3E family with it.
Advice or any other pointers appreciated!
TIA.
Wenke

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:21
English to Arabic
Check Voltage and Amperage of AC adapter Aug 17, 2011

Hi Wenke,

I asked some colleagues and they advised by the following:

Check Voltage and Amperage of AC adapter, if it differs more than 15-20% from original then no, if they are the same, yes, then check the power cord of AC adapter if it fits notebook.

P.S. default notebook input voltage and amperage is written on the bottom of notebook. adapters voltage - on AC adapter.

Hope this helps.

Mohamed

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:21
English to Arabic
But, note it may not charge your battery. Aug 17, 2011

But, note if it worked, it may not charge your battery.

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dell Power Adapter - Query / Thanks Aug 18, 2011

Thank you, Mohamed.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Recent experience... Aug 18, 2011

I recently plugged in my new Dell with the adapter from my old Dell and a message appeared telling me that, because the wattage was lower on the old adapter (60 instead of 90W), the laptop may run slower.

Maybe yours will have a similar built-in function to tell you whether you can use it or not.

gram-br
gram-br  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:21
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I think not Aug 19, 2011

A friend of mine recently had to purchase a new power adaptor for a Dell laptop and got a surprise with the higher-than-normal price. However several spares shops here told him the same thing - Dell power supplies have some additional circuits in them, and you should not use a 'generic' power supply with a Dell laptop, even if it has matching Amperage.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dell Power Adapter - Query

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »