Thread poster: Shawn Champion
Ozgur Demirel
Ozgur Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:29
English to Turkish
+ ...
A couple of opinions Sep 1, 2011

1 - A good PC user always has his/her important documents regularly backed up at another partition which is physically on another hard drive. You may have 2 partitions (C and D) on the same HDD for example and imagine that HDD malfunctioning due to a power shortage. Gone forever.

2- Using Windows 7 x64 for quite some time now and I wonder what was the last Microsoft OS I enjoyed as much as this one. Not once have I come across with programs or drivers refusing to run. After all, if
... See more
1 - A good PC user always has his/her important documents regularly backed up at another partition which is physically on another hard drive. You may have 2 partitions (C and D) on the same HDD for example and imagine that HDD malfunctioning due to a power shortage. Gone forever.

2- Using Windows 7 x64 for quite some time now and I wonder what was the last Microsoft OS I enjoyed as much as this one. Not once have I come across with programs or drivers refusing to run. After all, if you have Windows 7 Professional or up, you got Compatibility feature that lets your OS mimic previous Windows versions in case of incompatibilities.

3- SSDs are the way to go for a robust and swift C: partition.

Hope that helps a bit.
Collapse

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:29
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 1, 2011

Thanks for all the advice. I found a pretty good deal on a desktop with two SSD drives and tons of RAM and everything for half what it would cost from Dell or HP or the like. It's from a reputable computer shop here in Sweden.

SSD drives and 64 bit Windows 7 seems to be the way to go. I know that a new Windows is coming soon, but people do seem really happy with 7. Remember Vista? Me neither.

I've never had an HD completely crash on me before, so I'm not as diligent w
... See more
Thanks for all the advice. I found a pretty good deal on a desktop with two SSD drives and tons of RAM and everything for half what it would cost from Dell or HP or the like. It's from a reputable computer shop here in Sweden.

SSD drives and 64 bit Windows 7 seems to be the way to go. I know that a new Windows is coming soon, but people do seem really happy with 7. Remember Vista? Me neither.

I've never had an HD completely crash on me before, so I'm not as diligent with backing up my data as I should be. However, everything backed up on an external drive and online after every 15,000 words or so seems reasonable. Although, I do back my work up in the middle of really big projects. I couldn't stand to begin fresh after 10,000 words or so.
Collapse

Ozgur Demirel
Ozgur Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:29
English to Turkish
+ ...
HDD crash Sep 1, 2011

Shawn Champion wrote:

I've never had an HD completely crash on me before, so I'm not as diligent with backing up my data as I should be. However, everything backed up on an external drive and online after every 15,000 words or so seems reasonable. Although, I do back my work up in the middle of really big projects. I couldn't stand to begin fresh after 10,000 words or so.

It happened to me twice on WD drives -believe me, it happens. |:

No problem since you say you already have backups on an external though.

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:29
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Love the new system Jan 6, 2012

What I got:

8 GB RAM
Intel i-5 2500 3.3 GHz
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
OCZ 120 GB SSD C DRIVE
1 TB 7200 RPM D drive

I have the TMs and termbases on the C with Windows and Trados (and backed up on D). I think I'll make D the primary disc for the Trados files, though. Right now the D drive is literally stopped and not even accessed for most of the day. May as well use it.

Data migration was a nightmare and Trados basically became u
... See more
What I got:

8 GB RAM
Intel i-5 2500 3.3 GHz
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
OCZ 120 GB SSD C DRIVE
1 TB 7200 RPM D drive

I have the TMs and termbases on the C with Windows and Trados (and backed up on D). I think I'll make D the primary disc for the Trados files, though. Right now the D drive is literally stopped and not even accessed for most of the day. May as well use it.

Data migration was a nightmare and Trados basically became unusable for awhile. Still has weird problems that SDL could only come up with workarounds for, no solutions. Other than that, the computer itself just flies like greased lightning. Have to switch out the noisy rear fan, but it's great other than that.

Thanks for all the tips!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dual hard drive setup

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »