Thread poster: Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2011

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding processors. I'm currently looking into buying a new notebook, and am probably going to decide for a Dell Vostro 3750.

However, I'm not sure whether I should get one with an Intel Core i5-2430M (2.40Ghz) or an Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20Ghz).

FYI, it'll be a set-up with 8GB dual channel DD3 SDRAM, a 750GB SATA hard disk (7200 rpm) and a video card of 1GB VRAM.

I guess the i7 is faster, but the pri
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding processors. I'm currently looking into buying a new notebook, and am probably going to decide for a Dell Vostro 3750.

However, I'm not sure whether I should get one with an Intel Core i5-2430M (2.40Ghz) or an Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20Ghz).

FYI, it'll be a set-up with 8GB dual channel DD3 SDRAM, a 750GB SATA hard disk (7200 rpm) and a video card of 1GB VRAM.

I guess the i7 is faster, but the price difference is quite hefty, and I'd like to make sure if I actually need that extra speed.

Main use of the notebook will be my translation business (word processing, CAT-tools, so the usual stuff) and regular internet use. So I'm not looking for a gaming or heavy graphics/multimedia machine.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Wouter

[Edited at 2011-10-21 05:02 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not necessary Oct 21, 2011

The i7 is very powerful, but you don't need all that power for the work of a translator. If you plan to run computing-intensive applications, like for instante voice recognition or a local machine translation system, you might benefit from the extra power, however. If you can reasonably afford the i7, I would go for it. You never know what use you can give the extra power in the future.

I just thought I'd mention this: One thing you must be careful with is the selection of the opera
... See more
The i7 is very powerful, but you don't need all that power for the work of a translator. If you plan to run computing-intensive applications, like for instante voice recognition or a local machine translation system, you might benefit from the extra power, however. If you can reasonably afford the i7, I would go for it. You never know what use you can give the extra power in the future.

I just thought I'd mention this: One thing you must be careful with is the selection of the operating system. If you want to exploit the 8 GB of memory, make sure the OS is set up in the 64-bit mode. Otherwise (i.e. in 32-bit mode) you will only use 3,3 of the GB you pay for.
Collapse

Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
64-bit Win7 Oct 21, 2011

Thanks, Tomás!
Indeed, the system would come with 64-bit Windows 7 Professional OS.

Emin Arı
Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:29
English to Turkish
+ ...
i5 is a right choice Oct 21, 2011

for your specific needs, i5 is right choice, no need to go upper segment.

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
i5 Oct 21, 2011

I'm also thinking of changing my desktop (laptop is still ok) and my choice will be i5 with Windows 7 64-bit, with 8 GB RAM. (I'll try to find pc with at least 1 port USB 3 which are faster and will become a standard in the near future).

- english is not my working language-

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Save the money for an SSD drive Oct 21, 2011

Get an SSD drive instead of a faster processor. You'll never regret it: silent operation, lightning fast and no defragmentation.

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 09:29
Spanish to French
+ ...
RAM Oct 21, 2011

I've been doing the same kind of research and the Vostro 3750 looks like a good candidate to me, too. However, regarding the RAM, although a 64-bit OS ensures that all your RAM is recognized above 3.5GB, I've found a comparative test finding no particular advantage in using more memory for ***certain*** applications. So, you might want to check if the extra money spent on memory is worth it in your particular case.

Here is the link:<
... See more
I've been doing the same kind of research and the Vostro 3750 looks like a good candidate to me, too. However, regarding the RAM, although a 64-bit OS ensures that all your RAM is recognized above 3.5GB, I've found a comparative test finding no particular advantage in using more memory for ***certain*** applications. So, you might want to check if the extra money spent on memory is worth it in your particular case.

Here is the link:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-8gb64-bit-advantage-more-ram-doesnt-always-mean-better-performance/2354

Please note it is from 2008, so things might have changed since then.

Glocalise wrote:

Hello everyone,

I guess the i7 is faster, but the price difference is quite hefty, and I'd like to make sure if I actually need that extra speed.

Main use of the notebook will be my translation business (word processing, CAT-tools, so the usual stuff) and regular internet use. So I'm not looking for a gaming or heavy graphics/multimedia machine.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Wouter

[Edited at 2011-10-21 05:02 GMT]

[Modifié le 2011-10-21 17:52 GMT]
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Noisy fun, be careful Oct 21, 2011

I have a Dell Precision i7 with 16 GB RAM.
The problem is that the fun is very, very loud and it works almost always.

I bought an iMac from Apple and it is really, really not noisy at all.

And I don´t wast any time waiting for Windows to start.

No experience yet using Windows in my Mac (Bootcamps should work quite well but I don´t have personal experience).

In any case, to buy a new computer is always a very gratifying experience, spec
... See more
I have a Dell Precision i7 with 16 GB RAM.
The problem is that the fun is very, very loud and it works almost always.

I bought an iMac from Apple and it is really, really not noisy at all.

And I don´t wast any time waiting for Windows to start.

No experience yet using Windows in my Mac (Bootcamps should work quite well but I don´t have personal experience).

In any case, to buy a new computer is always a very gratifying experience, specially if you have a very good friend who knows a lot about computers.

Have a wonderful day,

Felipe
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Vostro 3750 Oct 21, 2011

Hi,

I've got one and it's real magic (Windows 7 Pro 64-it, 8GB of RAM and 1GB of video RAM), it boots up immediately, not noisy at all and not overheating either, has a USB 3 port but keep in mind that there are not many x64 applications around. However, you'll see the difference instantly when using MS-Office 2010 64-bit or other applications like Exam Diff Pro or Altova XMLSpy (both 64-bit).

Trados 2011 is 32-bit but is much faster when creating a large AutoSuggest d
... See more
Hi,

I've got one and it's real magic (Windows 7 Pro 64-it, 8GB of RAM and 1GB of video RAM), it boots up immediately, not noisy at all and not overheating either, has a USB 3 port but keep in mind that there are not many x64 applications around. However, you'll see the difference instantly when using MS-Office 2010 64-bit or other applications like Exam Diff Pro or Altova XMLSpy (both 64-bit).

Trados 2011 is 32-bit but is much faster when creating a large AutoSuggest dictionary, takes up to an hour with my Vostro 400 (Vista Pro 32-bit, quad processor and 4GB of RAM)

Hope this helps,

Bernard
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Exactly Oct 22, 2011

IrimiConsulting wrote:

Get an SSD drive instead of a faster processor. You'll never regret it: silent operation, lightning fast and no defragmentation.

There is no point in shelling out huge sums for an i7, 8GB of RAM and a powerful video card if you then cripple your computer with a sloooow platter drive. Get a good SSD. A 120GB Intel is reliable, fast and big enough for the system. You can use a 250/500 GB platter drive for backups and media storage.

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:29
English to Arabic
I only have one concern here... Nov 18, 2011

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi,

Trados 2011 is 32-bit but is much faster when creating a large AutoSuggest dictionary, takes up to an hour with my Vostro 400 (Vista Pro 32-bit, quad processor and 4GB of RAM)

Hope this helps,

Bernard

Dear Bernard,

I agree with you completely except one thing, if you want to use Microsoft office on any machine 32-bit or 64-bit, you should use the 32-bit version of Microsoft Office as Microsoft engineers themselves recommended that.

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word 32bit Nov 18, 2011

Mohamed Kamel wrote:

I agree with you completely except one thing, if you want to use Microsoft office on any machine 32-bit or 64-bit, you should use the 32-bit version of Microsoft Office as Microsoft engineers themselves recommended that.

Really? That surprises me, what should be the reason for that? Do you know about any details? Could you point me to the source of that info, Mohamed?

I'm asking because I've just bought a Vostro 460 (core i5, 8 GB RAM) -- a standard 64bit desktop, not a laptop. It came with Office Starter installed (which is a limited "preview" version of the suite) -- I assume that's the 64bit version then.

I didn't purchase this beast for running MS Office, which would be overkill (it'll run Linux most of the time anyway). But it bothers me that they should still be writing substandard software for the 64bit architecture, after so many years. Could anyone enlighten me as to the reasons for that? Are they just lazy, or what's going on here?

[Edited at 2011-11-18 18:46 GMT]

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:29
English to Arabic
Just read this from Microsoft! Nov 18, 2011

opolt wrote:

Mohamed Kamel wrote:

Really? That surprises me, what should be the reason for that? Do you know about any details? Could you point me to the source of that info, Mohamed?

I'm asking because I've just bought a Vostro 460 (core i5, 8 GB RAM) -- a standard 64bit desktop, not a laptop. It came with Office Starter installed (which is a limited "preview" version of the suite) -- I assume that's the 64bit version then.

I didn't purchase this beast for running MS Office, which would be overkill (it'll run Linux most of the time anyway). But it bothers me that they should still be writing substandard software for the 64bit architecture, after so many years. Could anyone enlighten me as to the reasons for that? Are they just lazy, or what's going on here?

[Edited at 2011-11-18 17:37 GMT]

Just read the answer of the following question: Will Office 2010 products be available in 64-bit versions?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/office-2010-frequently-asked-questions-HA101674631.aspx#About_Office_2010_4

Their answer was as follow: Yes, Office 2010 products are available in 64-bit versions; however, for the best productivity and user experience, Microsoft recommends 32-bit Office 2010 for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Office 64-bit is optimized for advanced data analysis scenarios that most users don’t require, and existing 32-bit add-ins are not supported on Office 64-bit.

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wow Nov 18, 2011

Mohamed Kamel wrote:

Just read the answer of the following question: Will Office 2010 products be available in 64-bit versions?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/office-2010-frequently-asked-questions-HA101674631.aspx#About_Office_2010_4

Their answer was as follow: Yes, Office 2010 products are available in 64-bit versions; however, for the best productivity and user experience, Microsoft recommends 32-bit Office 2010 for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Office 64-bit is optimized for advanced data analysis scenarios that most users don’t require, and existing 32-bit add-ins are not supported on Office 64-bit.

Leaves me (almost) speechless. I think I'll refrain from commenting on this in any detail ... Just trying to imagine what "advanced data analysis scenarios" could mean in the context of MS Word. Hum, word counts? -- Excel, yes, that's another story. But I mean, really ...

Thanks Mohamed for this interesting piece of information!

Salaam,

-- opolt

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
32-bit Add-ins Nov 20, 2011

Thanks for the info but I had already found out about the 32-bit add-ins issue (removed all of them), works fine with 64-bit add-ins, like Antidote and others.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Intel Core i5 or i7?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »