Thread poster: Meerburg TS
Meerburg TS
Meerburg TS  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great feedback everybody! Jan 30, 2012

I checked out some of the tutorials you guys sent links to.

Dominique Pivard's video instruction really did help me convert the PDF file in a better format. It still has kinks in it and I need to go back over the whole thing in Word but it is a hell of a lot better than what it was before. The letters on the document are very small and there is lots of bold text and underlining. B become H or vice versa.

I also checked out one of the one-hour Wordfast Anywhere seminars
... See more
I checked out some of the tutorials you guys sent links to.

Dominique Pivard's video instruction really did help me convert the PDF file in a better format. It still has kinks in it and I need to go back over the whole thing in Word but it is a hell of a lot better than what it was before. The letters on the document are very small and there is lots of bold text and underlining. B become H or vice versa.

I also checked out one of the one-hour Wordfast Anywhere seminars and it helped me understand some of it's tools a little better. I will check out that Translation Training website as well.

The Mac vs PC debate is interesting to me. I know PCs are the most common... and often cheaper, but every Mac owner I've known swears there is nothing better and, as Lisa Simpsonsaid, are very fond of their machines. I have never used Macs and I know it would take me a while to get used to one, but it may be worth it. So, I'm still hesitating...
My friend is a graphic designer and it really is amazing to see her work on her Mac. She even has set up two connected but separate screens so she can move an image from one screen to the other with her mouse.

Very interesting all this stuff about the drives. I never knew there was such a thing as hybrid drives and the noise factor involved.

In case you are curious about my artwork, you can check out my website:
http://www.nikola-meerburg.com/

Once again, thanks everybody for the great advice!
Collapse

Meerburg TS
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got the new laptop! :) Mar 17, 2012

Hi everyone and thanks for your help, both in this thread and various others I've been checking out.

I spent some time checking out a variety of options and just got a Hewlett Packard 630 A1E63EA#ABE, for €442,50

I'll post the technical data here:

PROCESSOR:
- Intel® Core™ i3-370M (2,40 GHz, caché L3 de 3 MB)
MEMORY:
- 4 GB DDR3 de (1 x 4096 MB) 1333 MHz
SCREEN:
- LED Display High-Definition HP BrightView glare of 39.
... See more
Hi everyone and thanks for your help, both in this thread and various others I've been checking out.

I spent some time checking out a variety of options and just got a Hewlett Packard 630 A1E63EA#ABE, for €442,50

I'll post the technical data here:

PROCESSOR:
- Intel® Core™ i3-370M (2,40 GHz, caché L3 de 3 MB)
MEMORY:
- 4 GB DDR3 de (1 x 4096 MB) 1333 MHz
SCREEN:
- LED Display High-Definition HP BrightView glare of 39.6 cm (15.6 inches) diagonal 1366 x 768 (it is a matte screen)
GRAPHICS:
- Intel® HD Graphics
HARD DRIVE:
- 500 GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
OPTICAL DRIVE: - DVD ± R / RW SuperMulti with Double Layer Support
NETWORK:
- LAN Ethernet 10/100/1000
- WIFI IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 3.0
EMBEDDED DEVICES:
- 3 USB 2.0
- 1 VGA
- 1 HDMI
- 1 stereo microphone
- 1 audio / stereo headphones
- 1 AC
- 1 RJ-45
BATTERY
- Battery Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) 6-cell up to 4.25 hours
OPERATING SYSTEM:
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64
OTHERS:
- Integrated stereo speaker
- Webcam with microphone intergrated
Dimensions
- 37.6 x 24.7 x 3.18 cm
WEIGHT:
- 2.5 Kg

I though it would be the same size as my old laptop, but it is actually a fraction smaller. However the screen definition is much crisper and brighter than my old Pack Bell Easy Note. I was somewhat tempted to go for a 17 inch screen but that would have made it a bit less portable. This laptop can still easily go into my backpack.

It comes with the trial version of Windows 7, which I still have to get used to (I used XP before) but it seems that many improvements have been made and I can at least open up a lot of windows at the same time.

I hooked up the external hard drive where I store my music and photographs and it works perfectly. I burned a trial CD... so far so good.

However I still cannot connect the printer (also a HP, Photosmart 2575).

Compared to the old laptop this one is really fast, and the wifi is great. With the old laptop I basically had to sit next to the modem on the top floor to get a decent signal. Being that my "office" is in the old workshop downstairs this is not very convenient. The old laptop would lose it's connection often, which is not very pleasant if you are working with Wordfast Anywhere, which I have been using a lot.

I like the Wordfast software so far and am seriously considering making it my main CAT tool, though I am still debating whether to go for Pro or Classic. Suggestions?

I have tried MemoQ but I don't like it as much as Wordfast.

Is it an absolute necessity to get TRADOS? It seems to be the industry standard, and a lot of jobs require this software. But it is expensive and seems to require lots of training (also expensive) before you can use it properly.

I have taken some AUTOCAD classes a few years in the past and I still have all the training manuals (in Spanish). I had an illegal version of it on my old laptop but it took up so much space that I had to uninstall it again. My AUTOCAD is rusty now but I would like to get back in it, so if this new laptop permits I am thinking of installing that too.

I will post some more updates once I get more familiar with this laptop.

[Edited at 2012-03-17 06:41 GMT]
Collapse

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:11
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
printer problems Mar 17, 2012

Meerburg TS wrote:

However I still cannot connect the printer (also a HP, Photosmart 2575).

[Edited at 2012-03-17 06:41 GMT]

Have you tried to install new driver for windows 7? I managed to connect my hp 5610 without problems by downloading new driver. (pay attention on 32 or 64 bit)

Meerburg TS
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try to do that Mar 18, 2012

Thanks for the tip, Lidija!

Julie Thompson
Julie Thompson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
see later post May 11, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

Any graphics stuff that you can do on a Mac, you can do on a PC too, and just as well.
Mac people just like to imagine only Macs can do art stuff, probably to help justify their higher price.

I would suggest getting a desktop, instead of a laptop. Although many people don't seem to mind, I get neck pain after working on a laptop for a while.

I don't know about starting with the open source stuff, that might actually put you off. It really depends on how technical you are, how good you are at (and how much you enjoy) messing around with computers and geeky stuff. I once went through a phase of trying every cool open source operating system I could get my hands on, and building computers out of stuff I found in bargain basements etc., but these days I just stick with Windows 7 64-bit with tons of RAM and an SSD. It just works. Wordfast Anywhere, as Dominique suggested, is however free but I think a bit more foolproof...

However, I'd suggest maybe trying to get your hands on an old copy of Trados Workbench, or Wordfast Classic. People are selling their old licenses right and left for quite cheap.

I myself like memoQ, you might want to try out the demo, and see what you think. If you like it there are always sales on at http://www.proz.com/tgb

There are basically 2 main types of CAT tools:

1. The ones where you work inside of Word (like Workbench and Wordfast Classic), and
2. The ones that import the file and present you with an abstraction of the source file, so to speak: where you work in a table of some kind. Either src + trgt up and down, or src + trgt left and right. (memoQ, OmegaT, SDL Studio, Déjà Vu)

I myself started with Trados (Workbench), and moved towards memoQ, but everyone is different. Some prefer to work inside of Word, or LibreOffice.

Michael

p.s. whatever you do, avoid 'TagEditor'. It is evil, and will try to steal your soul

[Edited at 2012-01-28 01:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-11 17:42 GMT]

Julie Thompson
Julie Thompson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast Classic licenses May 11, 2013

[quote]Michael Beijer wrote:

However, I'd suggest maybe trying to get your hands on an old copy of Trados Workbench, or Wordfast Classic. People are selling their old licenses right and left for quite cheap.

Dear Mr. Beijer,

Could you please let me know where to get old Trados and Wordfast Classic licenses? I think that Wordfast is wonderful, and I still prefer the Classic over the Pro, since, as far as I know, only the Classic version lets you save unclean files.

Thanks!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ProZ.com exchange May 11, 2013

jmtquiroga wrote:

Dear Mr. Beijer,

Could you please let me know where to get old Trados and Wordfast Classic licenses? I think that Wordfast is wonderful, and I still prefer the Classic over the Pro, since, as far as I know, only the Classic version lets you save unclean files.

Thanks!

Hi jmtquiroga,

One place to start looking would be the ProZ.com exchange, which is here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange

The ProZ.com Translators Exchange is a system that users and members can use to offer and request books, language training, CAT tool training, travel advice and more.

I just checked and no one seems to be offering anything at the moment, but you could post a request in the 'offer' section.

Incidentally, I think SDL Trados Studio 2011 now also allows you to save as 'unclean', either directly or at least via an OpenExchange plugin. However, I am also aware that the new Studio is a world away from working in either Wordfast Classic or using Workbench.

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I would like tips on a new laptop and translation programs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »