Thread poster: Pauliina Kauppila
Pauliina Kauppila
Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Apr 15, 2012

I will need to get a new laptop sometime soon as the old one is about to pack in. My main work machine is a desktop, but I like to also have a laptop for when I am on the road – therefore, compactness and light weight would be a big bonus. For this reason, the Zenbook ultrabooks by Asus have caught my eye. They seem to be pretty damn sexy and nifty, with nice super-slim aluminium design. There are two models, UX21 (11.6 in screen) and UX... See more
I will need to get a new laptop sometime soon as the old one is about to pack in. My main work machine is a desktop, but I like to also have a laptop for when I am on the road – therefore, compactness and light weight would be a big bonus. For this reason, the Zenbook ultrabooks by Asus have caught my eye. They seem to be pretty damn sexy and nifty, with nice super-slim aluminium design. There are two models, UX21 (11.6 in screen) and UX31 (13.3 in screen). Specs: http://zenbook.asus.com/zenbook/

Anyway, I was wondering if any of ye might have purchased one of these beauties. How do you find it? Does it have enough oomph to run Office, Trados, and all the other bits and pieces you want? What about the fact that there is just one USB port, and no disc drive?

I am thinking that none of that would matter that much, since the desktop would still be my main workhorse, and this could be a handy little number to take along to one's travels.

Any experiences and opinions would be much appreciated.

All the best,

Pauliina
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:31
French to English
+ ...
Yes, it is powerful enough Apr 15, 2012

Pauliina, every single notebook/subnotebook on today's market is powerful enough (or more than enough) to run office applications. On the other hand, ergonomics and reliability are serious concerns. In terms of reliability, Asus isn't bad, but isn't a leader, either. In terms of ergonomics, you'll have to feel it yourself - for example, I don't like touchpads, and all of my notebooks for the last 15 years had a trackpoint. As a translator, you'll also have to pay attention to the feel of the key... See more
Pauliina, every single notebook/subnotebook on today's market is powerful enough (or more than enough) to run office applications. On the other hand, ergonomics and reliability are serious concerns. In terms of reliability, Asus isn't bad, but isn't a leader, either. In terms of ergonomics, you'll have to feel it yourself - for example, I don't like touchpads, and all of my notebooks for the last 15 years had a trackpoint. As a translator, you'll also have to pay attention to the feel of the keyboard - whether you find it acceptable to type on it all day long, and whether the keyboard itself will survive reasonably long when used a lot more than average (which is the case in our profession).Collapse

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
Notebookcheck.com Apr 16, 2012

This website puts together comprehensive and objective reviews. I've bought a couple of laptops based on their reviews and they tend to be right on the money.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Zenbook-UX21E-Ultrabook.65506.0.html

I hope this is useful for you!

Pauliina Kauppila
Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 16, 2012

Hi Anton and Paul,

Thanks for your responses and advice. I think the Zenbook would indeed be plenty for my needs – especially as I would primarily use it as my 'travel machine'. It seems to get pretty high marks on the notebookcheck.nte site too which is encouraging. (A great site, by the way – very thorough. Thanks for the tip, Pau!)

Now I just need to decide whether I want to part from so much money for a notebook. ...
See more
Hi Anton and Paul,

Thanks for your responses and advice. I think the Zenbook would indeed be plenty for my needs – especially as I would primarily use it as my 'travel machine'. It seems to get pretty high marks on the notebookcheck.nte site too which is encouraging. (A great site, by the way – very thorough. Thanks for the tip, Pau!)

Now I just need to decide whether I want to part from so much money for a notebook.

Best regards,

Pauliina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Zenbook - any experiences/opinions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »