Thread poster: James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 17:16
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Apr 26, 2012

I have been using a split ergonomic keyboard for donkeys years now. It seems that both Logic-tech (searhed their Italian site and talked to two sales assistants) and Microsoft have now stopped making the genuine split keyboards. What they now sell as "ergonomic" has a sligtht curve to it but the t-y g-h and b-n characters are adjacent so your hands need to be parallel to type those. Anybody know where I can get a split keyboard-preferably with Italian labels on it. If I do 5 thou words a day for... See more
I have been using a split ergonomic keyboard for donkeys years now. It seems that both Logic-tech (searhed their Italian site and talked to two sales assistants) and Microsoft have now stopped making the genuine split keyboards. What they now sell as "ergonomic" has a sligtht curve to it but the t-y g-h and b-n characters are adjacent so your hands need to be parallel to type those. Anybody know where I can get a split keyboard-preferably with Italian labels on it. If I do 5 thou words a day for any length of time without TM help I tend to get carpel tunnel syndrome (tendons in wrist jam up).

http://www.ergonomics-info.com/computer-ergonomic-keyboard.html
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ergo vs mechanical Apr 26, 2012

Here's a forum full of keyboard maniacs who know everything there is to know about the subject:
http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?68-ergonomic-designs

The very popular Microsoft "Natural" 4000 is still sold, although it's not bona fide split keyboard:
<
... See more
Here's a forum full of keyboard maniacs who know everything there is to know about the subject:
http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?68-ergonomic-designs

The very popular Microsoft "Natural" 4000 is still sold, although it's not bona fide split keyboard:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000/B2M-00012

In my experience, the actual switches may be more important than ergo-ness. Try a good mechanical keyboard (like this one) and you'll see.
Unfortunately, the holy grail (mechanical split keyboard) is out of reach for most people. They are rare, hard to find and prohibitively expensive.
Collapse

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same here Apr 26, 2012

I used to rely on a split keyboard made by Cherry, which was excellent and broke only after 7 years or so. After that I used a Fujitsu-Siemens model which was rather flaky and died very soon. Lately I have been using a Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard, which for a heavy user like me turned out to be a complete failure.

After a lot of searching and asking around, I have been pointed to this site, and I'm going to buy one of these real
... See more
I used to rely on a split keyboard made by Cherry, which was excellent and broke only after 7 years or so. After that I used a Fujitsu-Siemens model which was rather flaky and died very soon. Lately I have been using a Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard, which for a heavy user like me turned out to be a complete failure.

After a lot of searching and asking around, I have been pointed to this site, and I'm going to buy one of these real soon now:

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle.htm

Dunno whether they supply them with the Italian layout, and whether they have a reseller close to your location, James.
Collapse

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 Apr 26, 2012

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000/B2M-00012

I have 3 of these and they work nicely. Plus, function keys can be used as macro keys (great if you use CAT tools).

I don't know if there is an Italian version. These are not sold in Spain, so I use a UK one. People that use these keyboards
... See more

I have 3 of these and they work nicely. Plus, function keys can be used as macro keys (great if you use CAT tools).

I don't know if there is an Italian version. These are not sold in Spain, so I use a UK one. People that use these keyboards are usually touch typers and, at least in my case, the paint in most keys fade after some months of intensive use, so this is not really a problem. You can buy these in amazon.co.uk, free shipping.

Narcís
Collapse

James (Jim) Davis
Seychelles
Member (2022)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Narcis Apr 26, 2012

Yes that is what I want, but they don't do an Italian version of it anymore. It looks as if I will have to try and buy a US or EN version and remember the Italian keyboard layout.

James (Jim) Davis
Seychelles
Member (2022)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
To Andras Apr 26, 2012

Thanks that page is interesting following the links kinesis and truly ergonomic look interesting. Has anybody tried them?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Carpal canal syndrome Apr 26, 2012

A common complaint indeed, the most common surgical operation carried out in France these days too apparently. I'm up to operated on this summer. My first experience of carpal canal syndrome (CCS) was when I was pregnant for the first time. Then it was horribly painful but more or less disappeared afterwards, only to return whenever I undertook repeated manual gestures over a period of time. Writing, keyboard and teaching wrote my surgical destiny!

A word of advice. It is a minor o
... See more
A common complaint indeed, the most common surgical operation carried out in France these days too apparently. I'm up to operated on this summer. My first experience of carpal canal syndrome (CCS) was when I was pregnant for the first time. Then it was horribly painful but more or less disappeared afterwards, only to return whenever I undertook repeated manual gestures over a period of time. Writing, keyboard and teaching wrote my surgical destiny!

A word of advice. It is a minor operation but not one to put off for as long as I have. The nerve in my right hand is probably damaged now and the operation may not give complete relief. Although not as painful as 18 years ago, it is almost constant and within 5 minutes of my hand being in a fixed position and within seconds of bearing a weight, I lose all sensation in my thumb and first three fingers. I can write, no problem but just can't feel a thing!

Machines are doing us some good but making an increased number of us perform highly repetitive tasks and CCS is a popular outcome !!!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
CCS & keyboard work Apr 26, 2012

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Machines are doing us some good but making an increased number of us perform highly repetitive tasks and CCS is a popular outcome !!!

AFAIK CCS is not caused by keyboard work. It's just a malformation of the body. However it may become perceptible only when you do certain movements/strains very often. The machine my lifemate got such trouble from was a bicycle

She suffered for 20 years, then a new doctor diagnosed CCS, suggested a minimal-invasive operation and voilá, all trouble has completely disappeared.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Keyboard mechanics Apr 26, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

In my experience, the actual switches may be more important than ergo-ness. Try a good mechanical keyboard

Some months ago I bought a laptop-like keyboard. The keys are too sensitive, this results in many typos.

BTW, does somebody happen to know where to buy a mechanical keyboard with keys that do not loose their inscriptions within one year?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Keycaps Apr 26, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

In my experience, the actual switches may be more important than ergo-ness. Try a good mechanical keyboard

Some months ago I bought a laptop-like keyboard. The keys are too sensitive, this results in many typos.

BTW, does somebody happen to know where to buy a mechanical keyboard with keys that do not loose their inscriptions within one year?

There are a couple of options. Some Cherry keyboards have "double shot" keycaps, in which the inscription is made of a different piece of plastic than the rest of the keycap, with the two molded together. Double shot legends look very nice (sharp contours, nice colours) and can't physically wear off unless you wear a hole through the entire keycap. You can buy aftermarket double shot keycap sets for Cherry keyboars as well.

Also, wasdkeyboards.com sells high quality mechanical keyboards with custom lasered keycaps. Even the laser etched ones won't wear off in a hurry, but the engraved ones are 100% bombproof. If you don't like light action keyboards get the "blues" from wasd.

[Edited at 2012-04-26 15:37 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Logitec Cordless Desktop Pro - One warning about Goldtouch Apr 26, 2012

The Logitec Cordless Desktop Pro is the one I have in two computers, and they have resisted millions -literally- of words without a glitch. In one of them, the caps are so worn that I can no longer see the letters.

I would love to replace them, but unfortunately cannot get this same or equivalent keyboard from Logitec in Spain.

And one warning for Spanish translators: I was told by the importers of Goldtouch for Spain th
... See more
The Logitec Cordless Desktop Pro is the one I have in two computers, and they have resisted millions -literally- of words without a glitch. In one of them, the caps are so worn that I can no longer see the letters.

I would love to replace them, but unfortunately cannot get this same or equivalent keyboard from Logitec in Spain.

And one warning for Spanish translators: I was told by the importers of Goldtouch for Spain that the GoldTouch Travel was a good option and that "the keys are the same size as s full-sized keyboard". Bullshit. (Sorry!). Unfortunately the full-sized Goldtouch is not sold in Spain either.

Why are they abandoning us??
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
CCS Apr 26, 2012

[quote]Rolf Keller wrote:

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

AFAIK CCS is not caused by keyboard work. It's just a malformation of the body. However it may become perceptible only when you do certain movements/strains very often. The machine my lifemate got such trouble from was a bicycle

I realize that a number of studies support the view that CCS is not the result of repetitive gestures. France, rightly or wrongly, remains champion among states which does recognize this minor syndrome officially on the list of occupationally-induced conditions. Trauma, arthritis, obesity and pregancy are other commonly accepted causes. Other studies suggest a genetic component. Whatever the cause, when your median nerve is under pressure, you know it! I used to cycle a lot and suffered numbness in my hands then. Whatever the cause, it's nothing important and 10 minutes snip, snip and problem solved. However, if you become aware of it, I repeat not to wait years before reacting as it is simple to put an end to it!

[Edited at 2012-04-26 16:53 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
German to English
+ ...
Kinesis - yes, it's fantastic! Apr 26, 2012

I have used a Kinesis for many years now. They are expensive, but I am only on my second one, and my first lasted 6 or 7 years. It has truly done wonders for me. When I use it in conjunction with a track ball, it really helps my repetitive strain issues. If you do get one, keep in mind that there is a learning curve. It took maybe a week or two to get used to the placement of the keys (Alt, Ctrl, Page Up/Down, Home, End, etc. are near your thumbs, not pinkies), but after I got used to it - bonus... See more
I have used a Kinesis for many years now. They are expensive, but I am only on my second one, and my first lasted 6 or 7 years. It has truly done wonders for me. When I use it in conjunction with a track ball, it really helps my repetitive strain issues. If you do get one, keep in mind that there is a learning curve. It took maybe a week or two to get used to the placement of the keys (Alt, Ctrl, Page Up/Down, Home, End, etc. are near your thumbs, not pinkies), but after I got used to it - bonus! I could type faster than before and with less strain. I definitely recommend this keyboard!

PS If you think you have a repetitive strain condition, don't automatically assume it's carpal tunnel syndrome. It's important to check it out with a doctor to check if there is nerve involvement as Nikki said above (in which case it could be carpal tunnel). My problem turned out to be muscle and tendon inflammation from overuse due to weakness in my shoulder muscles.

[Edited at 2012-04-26 19:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-26 19:58 GMT]
Collapse

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Look for second-hand keyboards Apr 27, 2012

Hi Jim, I have recently bought a bunch of ergonomic keyboards (with an Italian layout) scouring the ads in ebay annunci and other similar venues. I had them all for a pittance and they are practically new (three were still in their boxes - most of those who were selling them had never really got used to them).
Could be worth a try!

[Edited at 2012-04-27 14:45 GMT]

James (Jim) Davis
Seychelles
Member (2022)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Dainas Apr 27, 2012

Is that the contour board? I'm a bit frightened. After so many years with a conventional board my fingers can hit page up and down across on the numeric board without me looking. My tendon problem went away when I got translation memory.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ergonomic keyboards discontinued

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »