How to choose an uninteruptible powersupply?
Thread poster: Heike Holthaus
Heike Holthaus
Heike Holthaus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:03
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 23, 2013

I am looking into buying an uninteruptible powersupply for 1 pc, monitor and printer. The goal is to be able to work through a power outage with power coming from a generator.

What do I need to look for? Would these do the job?
Or has anyone suggestions for a better UPS?

CyberPower CP850AVRLCD 850 VA 510 Watts 9 Outlets UPS
TRIPP LITE ECO ECO850LCD 850 VA 425 Watts 12 Outlets UPS with Enhanced LCD Interface and USB Monitoring Port, RJ11
Tripp Lite O
... See more
I am looking into buying an uninteruptible powersupply for 1 pc, monitor and printer. The goal is to be able to work through a power outage with power coming from a generator.

What do I need to look for? Would these do the job?
Or has anyone suggestions for a better UPS?

CyberPower CP850AVRLCD 850 VA 510 Watts 9 Outlets UPS
TRIPP LITE ECO ECO850LCD 850 VA 425 Watts 12 Outlets UPS with Enhanced LCD Interface and USB Monitoring Port, RJ11
Tripp Lite OMNI900LCD Omni Smart Digital 900 VA 475 Watts 8 Outlets Line Interactive UPS w/ LCD display

Thanks for your input.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 08:03
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Capacity rating Apr 23, 2013

What is most important for you is going to be the capacity rating, usualy expressed in Ah (= ampère-hours), which means in essence how long you can draw how much power from it.

I somehow think you may be optimistic to imagine you can run PC, screen, and printer for any length of time on a UPS available for an affordable price; my own aim would be to run the PC and screen just long enough to be able to save my work and shutdown cleanly.

I somehow thing much longer capac
... See more
What is most important for you is going to be the capacity rating, usualy expressed in Ah (= ampère-hours), which means in essence how long you can draw how much power from it.

I somehow think you may be optimistic to imagine you can run PC, screen, and printer for any length of time on a UPS available for an affordable price; my own aim would be to run the PC and screen just long enough to be able to save my work and shutdown cleanly.

I somehow thing much longer capacity than that is likely to be expensive, as would be supplying a (relatively) power-hungry printer.

Bear in mind that an office PC is likely to be running at somewhere around 500 W, and a monitor say 100 W — that means 600 W = approx. 2½ A (@ 230 V); so without taking the printer into account, you need to look at a capacity greater than 2.5 Ah to be able to run those two for an hour; of course real capacities are a lot higher than that, but dividing the unit's Ah capacity by 2½ should at least give you a ballpark idea of how long it might hold up for.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
UPS Apr 23, 2013

Most affordable uninterruptible power supplies only provide enough juice to allow you to finish a limited task, save your work, and shut down your computer in an orderly manner. If you have a power outage greater than about 15-20 minutes, you will not be able to work, as I've found out (I have an APS, can't read the model number as it's behind my desk). It is useful for momentary dropouts, however.

Heike Holthaus
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UPS plus generator Apr 23, 2013

is the key. My understanding is, that a generator can cause damage to electronics because of "noise". Hence the UPS, but if choosing the wrong one, they may also be damaged.
The printer is only sometimes required. Most times I could do without.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Stabiliser Apr 23, 2013

Don't forget to buy one. A stabiliser, that is. Connect it between mains/generator and UPS.

Cheers,

Hans

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
The design principle is the key Apr 23, 2013

TranslatorHeike wrote:

My understanding is, that a generator can cause damage to electronics because of "noise". Hence the UPS, but if choosing the wrong one, they may also be damaged.

Additionally the PC may crash occasionally.

Generally there are 3 design principles but the names can differ:
see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unterbrechungsfreie_Stromversorgung
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

For what you are wanting to achieve you MUST buy a device with the second or (better but more expensive) third design.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Power? Apr 23, 2013

Tony M wrote:

Really? Actually the manufacturers seem to publish a time vs. wattage diagram. Which manufacturer specifies Ah?

Bear in mind that an office PC is likely to be running at somewhere around 500 W, and a monitor say 100 W

I disagree. An office PC without a gamer's graphic card should take less than 150 W, and a 21" flatscreen less than 40 W.

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Internet + laptop Apr 24, 2013

I have a UPS (Lestar) TS 1100 and a backupsystem on a laptop with a long batterylife. When I have a power outage I back up my work from my main system on my laptop and use the UPS only for keeping internet running (I have internet via satellite Tooway, it works about 4-6 hours). Battery life of my laptop (Acer) is also about 4-6 hours. It happened only once I couldn't work (but only 10 minutes) before power returned.
The UPS also takes care of peaks and lows in the power supply (in the Pol
... See more
I have a UPS (Lestar) TS 1100 and a backupsystem on a laptop with a long batterylife. When I have a power outage I back up my work from my main system on my laptop and use the UPS only for keeping internet running (I have internet via satellite Tooway, it works about 4-6 hours). Battery life of my laptop (Acer) is also about 4-6 hours. It happened only once I couldn't work (but only 10 minutes) before power returned.
The UPS also takes care of peaks and lows in the power supply (in the Polish countryside that's a rule....).

Alma
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes but Apr 24, 2013

Alma de Kok wrote:
The UPS also takes care of peaks and lows in the power supply (in the Polish countryside that's a rule....)

It does, but once Heike has to switch on her generator, the "noise" may ruin her UPS, if not more. That's why I suggested the stabiliser. They are dirt cheap anyway, no reason not to buy one.

Here (Indonesia): Mains/generator | surge protector | stabiliser | UPS* | iMac 27"

*A Prolink 1200VA, maybe a bit excessive for one AiO, but it's only around USD 80.
http://www.alnect.net/products.php?/2/75/275/788/Accessories-Parts/Power-Sources-Batteries/UPS/UPS-Prolink-PRO1200S-1200VA

Cheers,

Hans

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get a power pack Apr 25, 2013

You could always get a power pack, that should cover most of your needs

Here is one example:
http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/19/Extreme-350-Power-Pack/2:8/

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
A power pack is no UPS Apr 26, 2013

Alex Lago wrote:

You could always get a power pack, that should cover most of your needs

Here is one example:
http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/19/Extreme-350-Power-Pack/2:8/

This device is useless regarding Heike's needs. She wants & needs a so-called uninterruptable power supply device (UPS). The power pack you mentioned is no UPS, it is for use in environments where no ac outlet is available. Charge it at home, then take it to your garden and use your pc for one hour. Then go back home and charge again.

And, btw, this power pack needs an additional device (an inverter), because it can't deliver any AC voltage.

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, but Apr 26, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

And, btw, this power pack needs an additional device (an inverter), because it can't deliver any AC voltage.

This model has an AC outlet and adding the inverter doesn't add much to the cost.

She said she wanted a UPS to work with a generator, that means the UPS will actually only work for a few minutes/seconds (depending on whether she has her generator set up to start automatically or not) as she didn't specify whether or not she already had the generator I assumed she did not (maybe she does).

If she does have a generator already then it doesn't really matter what UPS she buys as it will only have to keep the devices going while she turns on the generator, so any half-way-decent UPS will do. If she doesn't have a generator then she would have to buy one and they tend to be quite noisy so I though getting a power pack would be a quieter solution.

Obviously the generator would run for hours and a power pack won't but how often does her electricity go off for hours?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
There is good and bad electricity Apr 26, 2013

Alex Lago wrote:

She said she wanted a UPS to work with a generator, that means the UPS will actually only work for a few minutes/seconds

She wrote: " My understanding is, that a generator can cause damage to electronics because of "noise". Hence the UPS ..."

The UPS will work all the time, filter the noise, and regulate the voltage, because generators are no precise devices. Generators have limited power, thus their voltage may exhibit heavy spikes when loads like refrigerators or cookers switch themselves on or off.

Is it really possible to switch the supply safely & on-the-fly from the power pack to the generator and vice versa? Without crashing Windows?

how often does her electricity go off for hours?

As Heike considers using a generator, there must be a reason. Some people live in houses/areas that have no reliable connection to a reliable grid. There are even houses with generators running all the time, e. g. small waterfall generators.

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's true Apr 26, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

As Heike considers using a generator, there must be a reason. Some people live in houses/areas that have no reliable connection to a reliable grid. There are even houses with generators running all the time, e. g. small waterfall generators.

Very true

Heike Holthaus
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Apr 26, 2013

for offering your insight.

I do in fact have a generator, but I do not want to run the computer on it without any thing between the computer and the generator.

To the question about the power outages:

I live in rural Michigan and one would think this whole discussion shouldn't even have to happen. Unfortunately just this year alone we were without power 3 or 4 times and always between 1 and 2 days in length. So far I have not been caught in the middle of a
... See more
for offering your insight.

I do in fact have a generator, but I do not want to run the computer on it without any thing between the computer and the generator.

To the question about the power outages:

I live in rural Michigan and one would think this whole discussion shouldn't even have to happen. Unfortunately just this year alone we were without power 3 or 4 times and always between 1 and 2 days in length. So far I have not been caught in the middle of a project with a tight deadline, but it is always on my mind.

I will probably add the stabilizer, as t doesn't help if I fry my UPS:{.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to choose an uninteruptible powersupply?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »