Andrej Fric  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 12:01
Member (2011)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Fast typing Jun 14, 2013

needs good keyboard.
I like to carry my work with me, so I don't have desktop computer (yet).
Since the screen of my old HP went black couple of days ago (and it had very good keyboard, it was really good machine), I was looking for a new laptop computer with following characteristics:
- screen size 17"
- GOOD keyboard
- SSD drive
I found first this Erazer
... See more
needs good keyboard.
I like to carry my work with me, so I don't have desktop computer (yet).
Since the screen of my old HP went black couple of days ago (and it had very good keyboard, it was really good machine), I was looking for a new laptop computer with following characteristics:
- screen size 17"
- GOOD keyboard
- SSD drive
I found first this Erazer
http://www.amazon.de/Medion-Notebook-GTX680M-Blu-Ray-schwarz/dp/B00AKEDPTY
but I didn't like the keyboard. Positions of cursor buttons were not easy to distinguish from the others and buttons Home and End were only accesible with Fn-combination key. Awkward. I've sent it back.
Now I'm awaiting new Samsung:
http://www.cyberport.de/samsung-notebook-serie-7-gamer-700g7c-s06-1C09-6GK_1688.html
with similar characteristics, but (I hope) better keyboard.
I have only positive experience with Samsung displays, so I expect very nice and eye-friendly screen and I hope good keyboard and low noise.

I hope, that posting links to the computers in sales does not violate any of the terms at proz, if so, moderator, feel free to delete my article.

[Edited at 2013-06-14 19:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-14 19:36 GMT]
Collapse

frenchlegal
frenchlegal  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:01
French to English
Check out Asus, MSI, and Lenovo Jun 26, 2013

I just ordered a new laptop today after a lot of research. I decided that I wanted a high-quality, matte 17in 1900x1080 screen (portability is not a major concern), an i7 processor and a significant amount of ram to deal with large TMs and my excessive multitasking habit. I also decided I'd like at least a 7200rpm hard drive (SSD would be better) and a decent, dedicated graphics card (these wouldn't be so essential to most people, but my other work requires them.) This pushed my budget above you... See more
I just ordered a new laptop today after a lot of research. I decided that I wanted a high-quality, matte 17in 1900x1080 screen (portability is not a major concern), an i7 processor and a significant amount of ram to deal with large TMs and my excessive multitasking habit. I also decided I'd like at least a 7200rpm hard drive (SSD would be better) and a decent, dedicated graphics card (these wouldn't be so essential to most people, but my other work requires them.) This pushed my budget above yours, but there are some decent machines in your range, especially if you want a 15in laptop and don't care about graphics. I do think a higher resolution matte screen is important (most inexpensive laptops have 1366 x 768 resolution, but at least 1600x900 is better so that narrows things down a bit and probably means increasing your budget unless you get a refurbished machine or an i5 processor). If you can possibly spend just a little bit more you may find something more appropriate and won't have to replace it as soon.

Lenovo has some very good deals right now in Canada and the US - The y510p, for example, is around your budget and has a 4-th gen i7 processor, 15in HD screen, and an ultrabay into which you can put an optical drive, an SSD drive, or a second graphics card. There are also some thinkpads in your price range.

ASUS also has a very good build quality and excellent screens in many of their machines. I initially considered a Vivo book or Ultrabook, but I decided I wanted performance more than portability. I ordered something from their gaming series because I got a lead on a great deal, but it's probably excessive. MSI had almost identical builds at similar prices so I considered them as well. Dell has some good rebates too - I just don't like Dell very much and they didn't have what I wanted. Gaming/entertainment models are actually a bit more likely to come with the screen I wanted at a much lower cost than business models, and I didn't need a lot of what raises the price of business laptops.

Check out sites like newegg where you can narrow your search by the criteria that are important to you to get a sense of what's there. Or if you know exactly what specs you want, try a site like xotic where you can customise to your heart's content.

[Edited at 2013-06-26 06:09 GMT]
Collapse

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:01
English to Czech
+ ...
Prefer Sony Vaio Jun 26, 2013

After a few expensive trials and errors, I now buy only Sony Vaio because of the quality of the screen. My current Sony VGN NW320F was under $700 and after nearly 3 years of constant use and abuse it is still going strong. While keyboard preferences are mostly subjective, the quality and longevity of the screen has a huge impact on our vision, especially since we spend so many hours working with the computer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for buying a new laptop for translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »