Thread poster: Tom Gale (X)
Tom Gale (X)
Tom Gale (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
French to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2014

I was wondering if anyone owns a Surface Pro and if so, if they have managed to install any physical (not cloud based) CAT tools on the system. As the pro versions of the Microsoft tablet range run full versions of Windows 8.1 and have very reasonable specs, even for the lower price range of the new Surface Pro 3, I am tempted to get one to replace my laptop and work alongside a desktop PC.

I've left a techradar review of the new Su
... See more
I was wondering if anyone owns a Surface Pro and if so, if they have managed to install any physical (not cloud based) CAT tools on the system. As the pro versions of the Microsoft tablet range run full versions of Windows 8.1 and have very reasonable specs, even for the lower price range of the new Surface Pro 3, I am tempted to get one to replace my laptop and work alongside a desktop PC.

I've left a techradar review of the new Surface Pro 3 here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-pro-3-1249750/review

[Edited at 2014-06-22 11:36 GMT]
Collapse

Lehti
Lehti
Italy
Local time: 01:48
English to Italian
+ ...
What about the keyboard? Jul 5, 2014

I tried the touch keyboard for the Surface 2 and it's not really ideal for heavy typing. Even after a couple of minutes of usage, I started to feel my fingertips funny. IMHO your best choice is a "cheap" ultrabook with a decent keyboard, if you really need something that portable (like I did). I wouldn't know about the standard scissor keyboard of the Surface, but really, 64 GB (which, when you take into account the OS and the programs that come preinstalled, falls to around 40 GB) is too little... See more
I tried the touch keyboard for the Surface 2 and it's not really ideal for heavy typing. Even after a couple of minutes of usage, I started to feel my fingertips funny. IMHO your best choice is a "cheap" ultrabook with a decent keyboard, if you really need something that portable (like I did). I wouldn't know about the standard scissor keyboard of the Surface, but really, 64 GB (which, when you take into account the OS and the programs that come preinstalled, falls to around 40 GB) is too little space for doing anything really useful with it and you'll have to take an external hard drive anyway.

Of course, it's possible to install any CAT tool on any Intel-powered tablet with Windows 8.1, but I really fail to see a reason why a translator should resort to this kind of devices.
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:48
How about CafeTran? Jul 15, 2014

Tom Gale wrote:

I was wondering if anyone owns a Surface Pro

I did install CafeTran on a Windows tablet with specs that aren't as good as that of a Surface Pro ...

http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/261868-cafetran_on_a_windows_tablet.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools on a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »