Vitaly Dotsenko
Vitaly Dotsenko  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:49
Member (2004)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2004

I have a 72 gig Raptor (10,000 SATA) drive. Nice and fast. Should I upgrade to 15,000 SCSI? I have a couple of large TMs. I never tried SCSI and don't know how it works with TMs.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you have so much money to spend on it, then go for it Dec 14, 2004

But OTOH you could simply get one Raptor more and build a RAID 1 matrix - nearly as fast as a single SCSI drive, but much cheaper.
Thinking further you could get three Raptors more (together they will cost less than a new SCSI HDD with 140 GB and 15000 rpm) and build a RAID 10 matrix - fast and safe...

Kind regards
Jerzy

Vitaly Dotsenko
United States
Member (2004)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RAID Dec 14, 2004

the guys at storagereview.com (the best HD forum) don't think that RAID would give you any boost. I am happy with my HD but converting big TMs takes so much time! Do you think SCSI is better for that?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
This might be a step back, Dec 14, 2004

not an upgrade. Please consider, that SCSI technology is over 20 (twenty) years old.
Well, the technology has been developed over the time and nowadays is not the same SCSI, but:

Because of the higher working speed of SCSI hard drives with 15,000 rpm, high-performance RAID arrays with Ultra320 SCSI are considerably faster on I/O performance and access time than the SATA solutions tested. Starting with the fastest available SATA drives, Western Digital's WD360, alias Raptor, SA
... See more
not an upgrade. Please consider, that SCSI technology is over 20 (twenty) years old.
Well, the technology has been developed over the time and nowadays is not the same SCSI, but:

Because of the higher working speed of SCSI hard drives with 15,000 rpm, high-performance RAID arrays with Ultra320 SCSI are considerably faster on I/O performance and access time than the SATA solutions tested. Starting with the fastest available SATA drives, Western Digital's WD360, alias Raptor, SATA-RAID provides cost savings of almost two-thirds - without sacrificing performance or security to the same degree.

This is the conclusion of a compehensive study on SCSI and SATA - go to http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage/20031114/index.html

for details.

Andrzej
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There are more than one RAID option Dec 14, 2004

and whilst one is for safety (mirroring), the other one is for speed (stripping). Recently I´ve read an article about HDD´s (chip.pl), where they made comparision between single HDD´s and stripped HDD´s. The stripped solution provides you with significantly more speed, than the single drive.
If you want security and speed, I would surely chose RAID 10 with four Rapotors - this will be still cheaper, than a SCSI solution. Not only SCSI HDD´s, but the controller are quite expensive.
... See more
and whilst one is for safety (mirroring), the other one is for speed (stripping). Recently I´ve read an article about HDD´s (chip.pl), where they made comparision between single HDD´s and stripped HDD´s. The stripped solution provides you with significantly more speed, than the single drive.
If you want security and speed, I would surely chose RAID 10 with four Rapotors - this will be still cheaper, than a SCSI solution. Not only SCSI HDD´s, but the controller are quite expensive.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Vitaly Dotsenko
United States
Member (2004)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tom's site Dec 14, 2004

I'll have to look at that site. Many people don't like Tom's site but I do. (Anand's is the best IMHO) I am not going to have 15,000 RAID because its too costly but I may buy 1 SCSI drive

I'd love to stripe a couple of new MAU drives into RAID0
gotta wait until the prices go down

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To SCSI or not to SCSI?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »