Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:17
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Computer guru Sep 9, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I used to work as an external consultant to a design company that used a lot of PCs.

I once chatted to their computer guru when there was nobody else around.

He frankly admitted to me that every time he came in to service the company's PCs, he would insert a deliberate glitch, set to trigger on a date set by him, requiring the company to call him in. Nice work if you can get it!

He was able to get away with doing that because nobody actually knows what a computer guru does.

So if/when you adopt the MacOS you can kiss your computer guru goodbye. You won't need him.

And don't ask for his advice about adopting the MacOS (because it will make him redundant!). When you have a computer that never gives you any problems or if it ever does, that you can't resolve yourself or with the help of the Mac gurus on the discussion forums, why would you need a computer guru?

[Edited at 2017-09-09 08:53 GMT]

Hello Tom,

On average, I need my computer guru twice or even once a year and his services are not expensive. Thanks for your advice regarding Mac but, as the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I use Windows for more than 15 years and am afraid that acquiring new skills and knowledge in complex with working on current projects might be a bit too much for me as I am no spring chicken anymore.

[Edited at 2017-09-09 10:48 GMT]

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:17
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After reading Sep 10, 2017

the tips, I took a closer look at the problem and understood that my PC does not go to startup but simply wakes from hibernation and switches to sleep mode. Obviously, some settings have gone awry.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it a poltergeist?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »