Crazy Problem with BIOS and Video card.
Thread poster: Blazebrood
Blazebrood
Blazebrood
English
Jun 2, 2005

Long story short here.

Yesterday I went to a local computer store and got a

Gigabyte GA-K8NS nVidia Socket 754 ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x/4x / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA

and a
AMD Sempron 2600+ / 256KB Cache / 333MHz FSB / Socket A / Processor with Fan

and some new Ram of course.

I get home and get it all installed and use my
XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card
... See more
Long story short here.

Yesterday I went to a local computer store and got a

Gigabyte GA-K8NS nVidia Socket 754 ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x/4x / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA

and a
AMD Sempron 2600+ / 256KB Cache / 333MHz FSB / Socket A / Processor with Fan

and some new Ram of course.

I get home and get it all installed and use my
XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

But when I try and start the computer I get no picture on my monitor. I know my card is good and my monitor is fine so i trouble shoot some things. I eventually get to the point where I just clear Cmos with a jumper I have. I start up the computer and I finally get picture and get the BIOS screen. I jump into BIOS and Set it up with optimal settings. restart no picture.... I clear CMOS AGAIN and start it up and just let it start on it's defaults. It gets one screen further than it has been then it forces the restart... and no picture.

So I clear CMOS again start it up and just shut it down and start it back up with the default set up... NO PICTURE.

Everything is hooked up properly and I know it's not Windows XP screwing around with it because I'm not even getting that far. I even put in a blank HD and it wouldn't even get as far as installing Windows. What's going on?

My Video card is compatible with the motherboard and should work fine.

Anyone have suggestions or and I doing something wrong?!

Thank you.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don't you even get the BIOS screen? Jun 2, 2005

If that is the case, you most probably have a hardware compatibility error. The GeForce you mention is veeery old, so possibly the problem lies there.
I would suggest to buy a new video card (I would reccomend any ATI Radeon powered card, as they have superior picture quality) and test it with your new motherboard.

If you are getting BIOS, check if the AGP port is enabled, and switch caching of BIOS and VIDEO BIOS off - this may cause problems. Look at the settings, if everyth
... See more
If that is the case, you most probably have a hardware compatibility error. The GeForce you mention is veeery old, so possibly the problem lies there.
I would suggest to buy a new video card (I would reccomend any ATI Radeon powered card, as they have superior picture quality) and test it with your new motherboard.

If you are getting BIOS, check if the AGP port is enabled, and switch caching of BIOS and VIDEO BIOS off - this may cause problems. Look at the settings, if everything appears ok, ie if the configurations are set to auto and not disabled where applicable.
Does your motherboard have any jumpers? Maybe it needs setting on this way.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crazy Problem with BIOS and Video card.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »