https://www.proz.com/forum/hardware/342401-printer_not_working_after_period_of_idleness.html

Printer not working after period of idleness.
Thread poster: Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 05:15
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Mar 24, 2020

My printer was idle for quite a long time (probably a year or more) and now it don't work at all (no lights, no sounds, nothing). As I rarely use it, it is often goes through periods of idleness but this never caused any performance problems until now. I specifically pointed to the people in the IT shop to select a printer that is tolerant to long periods of idleness which they did and it really worked fine until now. I wonder what happened this time, could it be a problem with electrical connec... See more
My printer was idle for quite a long time (probably a year or more) and now it don't work at all (no lights, no sounds, nothing). As I rarely use it, it is often goes through periods of idleness but this never caused any performance problems until now. I specifically pointed to the people in the IT shop to select a printer that is tolerant to long periods of idleness which they did and it really worked fine until now. I wonder what happened this time, could it be a problem with electrical connectivity? It's always properly stored with dust cover/dust protection. Any ideas how to "revive" it? Thanks.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Make? Mar 24, 2020

What make and model is your printer?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brother HL-2035 Mar 24, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

What make and model is your printer?

It's Brother HL-2035. What I tried so far:

1. I took out the printer head, and placed it back in. Then switched it on again. Did it a couple of times, still nothing, still the same. No sounds, no lights, nothing.
2. I found there was a way to reboot printer head through software but when I go to Control panel and devices my printer is not listed at all as obviously there is no communication between the printer and my laptop. My printer was always picked up automatically by my Windows in the past, and I did not need to install drivers or similar.

Could ink just dry out on its own during long periods of idleness? But this is not just ink, it's not showing lights or any signs it works electronically at all. The last time I used it it worked fine.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 10:18 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Hard to say from a distance Mar 24, 2020

"No sounds, no lights, nothing"

That sounds like there is no power supply. Check all cables and connections (again!).

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I suspect something power related. Mar 24, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

"No sounds, no lights, nothing"

That sounds like there is no power supply. Check all cables and connections (again!).

Precisely, no signs of electronic connectivity/power supply whatsoever.

My cables were also properly stored protected from dust. I rechecked the plugs and USB cable several times but could not find anything "faulty". Can electronic cables go wrong simply because they are not used for long? I would have to test it by using a different cable maybe if I manage to find a different printer cable.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 10:35 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Try Brother support. Mar 24, 2020

https://support.brother.com/g/b/producttop.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=hl2035_eu

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
For what it is worth Mar 24, 2020

In the Dutch manual I read (freely translated): Press Go and keep it pressed till the lights Toner, Drum and Error are burning. My 2 cents.

Keep in mind that we are talking here about a cheap and old model.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes. Mar 24, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

In the Dutch manual I read (freely translated): Press Go and keep it pressed till the lights Toner, Drum and Error are burning. My 2 cents.

The guy at the IT shop told me that fancier and more expensive models are not tolerant to long periods of idleness at all (especially the ink), if you don't use them at least on weekly level, you will keep experiencing all sorts of problems. That was the main point for me when I was choosing a model (yes, I bought a long time ago but it was used so little). Despite having been used so little, could it go broken just by simply being so old, it still looks like brand new due to being used so little. I sent a support ticket to Brother. The last time I used it it worked flawlessly.

I already tried the Press go and keep.... didn't work.

Thanks all.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 10:54 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Succes Mar 24, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

The guy at the IT shop told me that fancier and more expensive models are not tolerant to long periods of idleness at all (especially the ink), if you don't use them at least on weekly level, you will keep experiencing all sorts of problems. That was the main point for me when I was choosing a model (yes, I bought a long time ago but it was used so little). Despite having been used so little, could it go broken just by simply being so old, it still looks like brand new due to being used so little. I sent a support ticket to Brother. The last time I used it it worked flawlessly.

I already tried the Press go and keep.... didn't work.

Thanks all.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 10:54 GMT]

Rob

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Disconnect USB Mar 24, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:

Could ink just dry out on its own during long periods of idleness?

There is no ink: Your printer is a laser printer so it uses toner. Anyway this is not the problem you are facing.

Check the power switch!

First of all, disconnect USB.

Then disconnect power for 5 minutes, then reconnect. Upon any power-on action the printer should show some activity even if it is not connected to any computer. Maybe it is in standby mode, push the Go button, then.

If this doesn't help:
- The power connection is faulty
- OR the printer is defective

If the printer is defective, you need a new one. It's not unusual that 10 year old consumer electronics gets unrepairably defective. You could buy a new internal power supply via eBay but you would need a techie to install it - and nobody knows whether the power supply is the guilty part.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-03-24 12:56 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yayy, got some good news. Mar 24, 2020

I did what Rolf suggested, took the cables out and back in several times (both power supply and USB cable). Switched it back on, and the lights and sounds are back! Printed several test pages and it works perfectly now. Thanks so much Rolf and everyone else.

[Edited at 2020-03-24 16:45 GMT]

Tom in London
Hedwig Spitzer (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Happy Mar 24, 2020

Great work from Rolf!

I love to see this international cooperation !

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Philip Lees
Robert Rietvelt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printer not working after period of idleness.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »