Going wireless in U.S. and Europe
Thread poster: CML
CML
CML  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
French to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2005

I am planning on spending some time in Germany this fall and would like to continue working using my laptop computer. Does anyone know if a wireless-G notebook adapter is best for accessing wireless networks/hot spots in Europe? Also, what do I do about my notebook's power supply? Is there a good converter someone could recommend?
Thanks in advance!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:52
German to English
May not need a converter Jul 8, 2005

Take a look at the label on your power supply. Many, if not most, operate at both European and US voltages. In all likelihood all you'll need is an adapter plug.

I'm afraid I can't address the issue of accessing wireless connections in Europe.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:52
German to English
+ ...
recommendation for converter Jul 8, 2005

My suggestion for the converter would be to first see whether the manufacturer of your laptop offers a universal or European AC adapter, rather than using a converter. That way you can be sure it will work with your laptop (and avoid potential warranty issues), and you will have one less thing to lug around.

If the manufacturer can't help you, try a good-quality computer shop.

The best (or at least most convenient) types of AC adapters (or converters) are the universal
... See more
My suggestion for the converter would be to first see whether the manufacturer of your laptop offers a universal or European AC adapter, rather than using a converter. That way you can be sure it will work with your laptop (and avoid potential warranty issues), and you will have one less thing to lug around.

If the manufacturer can't help you, try a good-quality computer shop.

The best (or at least most convenient) types of AC adapters (or converters) are the universal types with plug-in AC cables, so you can simply replace the AC cable with one having a suitable plug for the country where you want to use it. Plug adapters are often rather flimsy in construction (and an intermittent contact is the last thing you want with a laptop).
Collapse

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Wireless Jul 8, 2005

To my knowledge, wireless standards are international.
802 11 a, b, and g should be the same all over the world.
Still, 802 11 a and b are the most common ones in Europe.
Some wireless networks have hotspots across many European countries (like e.g. O2), or across a country (I would expect at least Deutsche Telekom to have service)

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
you can check the online shop Jul 8, 2005

H! and also find the suitable adapter for your necessities at http://www.conrad.com/ alternatively if you speak germa... See more
H! and also find the suitable adapter for your necessities at http://www.conrad.com/ alternatively if you speak german follow the link http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/zcop_b2c/~flN0YXRlPTU4MjcyNjIyNw==?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&glb_user_js=Y&shop=B2C&p_init_ipc=X&~cookies=1
It is a huge shop where one can find almost anything related to computers and electronics. Rgds, Brandis
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
adapter plugs and cords Jul 9, 2005

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Take a look at the label on your power supply. Many, if not most, operate at both European and US voltages. In all likelihood all you'll need is an adapter plug.

I'm afraid I can't address the issue of accessing wireless connections in Europe.

I agree with Kevin. All laptops (and pocket PC) I've had for the past 15 years (AST, Acer, Toshiba, Compaq) have had dual voltage power supplies and auto-changing internal sensor. It should indicate 100-240V and 50-60 Hz on the power supply.

If that is the case, then all you will need is a passive adapter plug (you can buy them at Tandy/Radio Shack) for about 1-2 dollars. A multi-plug adapter is a little more expensive 10-25 dollars and can be purchased there or at travel shops at airports.

Make sure to buy at least 2-3 of the cheap adapters. I always take several with me wherever I go in case there is a problem with one of them.

I now have purchased separate cords per plug type which plug into the power supply box and go to the wall (need to get those in-country at a computer store) so that I no longer have to mess with adapters that have a little play in the connection.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going wireless in U.S. and Europe

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »