Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jul 12, 2005

I think I need a new monitor, video card, keyboard, and mouse; anything else? Do I need any specific software to switch from one monitor to another. Any information will be appreciated.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:32
French to Spanish
+ ...
There is a forum right now... Jul 12, 2005

...about the same question in
http://www.proz.com/topic/34606,
I think.
Luck.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is a different problem (for me) Jul 12, 2005

Juan Jacob wrote:

...about the same question in
http://www.proz.com/topic/34606,
I think.
Luck.

Thanks Jacob, but I ask information on one PC with two monitors, not two PCs with one monitor.

German Services
German Services
Local time: 14:32
English to German
+ ...
Software is included Jul 12, 2005

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I think I need a new monitor, video card, keyboard, and mouse; anything else? Do I need any specific software to switch from one monitor to another. Any information will be appreciated.

I don't really understand why you would need a new keyboard and mouse for a dual monitor setup?

Assuming you are using a PC with Windows XP, all you need is a video card which supports a dual monitor setup (most ATI and NVIDIA cards do, check before buying). These cards will come with the software needed to use two monitors in different modes (clone, extended desktop etc).
Of course, you need a second monitor as well. Make sure the video card has a DVI out if your monitor is a DVI, otherwise you need an adaptor.
Be careful when buying: If all you need your video card for is the dual monitor setup, don't end up with a 256MB gaming card. A good card could from the ATI 9200 series. Shop around, don't pay more than $100 US.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:32
French to Spanish
+ ...
Uups... Jul 12, 2005

...too fast reading. Sorry, and luck.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:32
German to English
+ ...
2 monitors Jul 13, 2005

Hi Selcuk,

I have been working with 2 monitors for some time and can really recommend it. It saves an enormous amount of time. I think most modern graphic cards now have 2 outputs. If you are working with Windows XP it is easy to set-up the second monitor (right click on desktop > properties > settings). Click on the icon with "2" and adjust the settings. Tick the box with "extend Windows desktop to this monitor" (translation from the German version), otherwise the second monitor is
... See more
Hi Selcuk,

I have been working with 2 monitors for some time and can really recommend it. It saves an enormous amount of time. I think most modern graphic cards now have 2 outputs. If you are working with Windows XP it is easy to set-up the second monitor (right click on desktop > properties > settings). Click on the icon with "2" and adjust the settings. Tick the box with "extend Windows desktop to this monitor" (translation from the German version), otherwise the second monitor is not used.

I'm not sure how other versions of Windows deal with this, but Google will help you to find the relevant information.

To access the second monitor, simply move the mouse across the right-hand edge of the first monitor (1st monitor on the left, second on the right). You can simply drag windows between monitors - only if they are NOT maximised. Minimise them first (or reduce the size) then drag across. To use one program on both monitors (e.g. looking at 2 documents on 2 monitors in Word or Acrobat), simply drag the edge of the Word window onto the second monitor as far as necessary, open the 2 documents and drag the second document across.

Note that if you move e.g. Explorer across to the second monitor and then switch off, when you restart the computer, Explorer will also automatically restart on the second monitor.

Have fun.

Jill
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 13, 2005

Unfortunately my graphics card has only one output (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400), so I think I need a new one (or may be an adapter). I'm happy to hear that I will not need a new mouse and keyboard on my table; only a new monitor and a new graphics card. And things will be much more easier when working with complex pdf files.

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
Old cheapo card Jul 13, 2005

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Unfortunately my graphics card has only one output (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400), so I think I need a new one (or may be an adapter). I'm happy to hear that I will not need a new mouse and keyboard on my table; only a new monitor and a new graphics card. And things will be much more easier when working with complex pdf files.

Hello Akyuz.

Just get a very cheap, old PCI card. Use your existing AGP card as the main one and the PCI as the secondary one. Your motherboard/OS will probably set it up as that, as the single choice.

As you will use the secondary screen for Trados windows and the such, virtually any PCI card will serve.

You don't need at all a two-output card with a modern Windows OS in order to have two monitors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

one PC with two monitors

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »