Do I need a docking station for my notebook?
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:00
German to English
Nov 3, 2005

I've been looking for a notebook (laptop?) computer to complement my PC. The man in the shop says I need a docking station so I can easily connect it to the monitor, printer etc. However, I have a WLAN system, so surely I can just use that with the notebook and control the printer that way? I hate plugging things in and I don't want to spend another 200 EUR on a docking station if I don't need to. Or is there another reason why I should buy a docking station?

I'm thinking of getting
... See more
I've been looking for a notebook (laptop?) computer to complement my PC. The man in the shop says I need a docking station so I can easily connect it to the monitor, printer etc. However, I have a WLAN system, so surely I can just use that with the notebook and control the printer that way? I hate plugging things in and I don't want to spend another 200 EUR on a docking station if I don't need to. Or is there another reason why I should buy a docking station?

I'm thinking of getting a Sony Vaio FS315M by the way, if anyone has any advice on that.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
In most situations, no need for the docking station Nov 3, 2005

The docking station is useful if you need to connect directly a lot of devices to your laptop, i.e., if your laptop is a "desktop replacement" (only computer you use).

If you plan to connect it to your home network, either through a wireless LAN or an Ethernet connection, you'll be able to connect to printers, scanners, etc. through the network.

If you need to connect a monitor or a keyboard, most (or all) laptops should come with a video connector, and several USB con
... See more
The docking station is useful if you need to connect directly a lot of devices to your laptop, i.e., if your laptop is a "desktop replacement" (only computer you use).

If you plan to connect it to your home network, either through a wireless LAN or an Ethernet connection, you'll be able to connect to printers, scanners, etc. through the network.

If you need to connect a monitor or a keyboard, most (or all) laptops should come with a video connector, and several USB connectors. Newer laptops, however, no longer come with PS/2 connectors (useful for older keyboards and mice).
Collapse

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 00:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
No,I don't think you need it. Nov 3, 2005

From what you just said, you just don't need it.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:00
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Decide later Nov 3, 2005

I also think you don't need it, but you can always buy it later. It depends on how often you will unplug/plug all the peripherals (external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc., if any).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need a docking station for my notebook?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »