Bianca Jacobsohn
Bianca Jacobsohn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:56
French to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2006

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with the strange behaviour of my HP printer. I have a word document which consists of 2 different fonts, some words bold, underlines, italic, others normal. I also have 3 images in the document.

Now for some or other reason my printer is only printing select parts of the (1-page) document - but there is no rhyme or reason (i.e. it is printing both bold and non-bold words, some words of one font and some of the other). It has decided
... See more
Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with the strange behaviour of my HP printer. I have a word document which consists of 2 different fonts, some words bold, underlines, italic, others normal. I also have 3 images in the document.

Now for some or other reason my printer is only printing select parts of the (1-page) document - but there is no rhyme or reason (i.e. it is printing both bold and non-bold words, some words of one font and some of the other). It has decided to print all 3 images though.

I've tried printing draft, normal, best - but it comes out the same!

Help! I have a presentation tomorrow!

Thanking you in advance,

Bianca AH
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The pronter behaves all of sudden so? Mar 12, 2006

Please check some options:

• Is there any hidden text in your document? Hidden text will not be printed out.
  • If you don´t work in layout-view: switch to layout view or print preview and check, how the document appears there. Maybe some elements of your gaphics do cover the text.
  • Do you use colours in your text and possibly the ink of this particular colour is empty?
  • I... See more
Please check some options:

• Is there any hidden text in your document? Hidden text will not be printed out.
  • If you don´t work in layout-view: switch to layout view or print preview and check, how the document appears there. Maybe some elements of your gaphics do cover the text.
  • Do you use colours in your text and possibly the ink of this particular colour is empty?
  • Is the driver for your printer installed and configured properly?
  • Maybe you will try to download the latest printer driver for your printer and install it?
  • If your printer is an inkjet: is the printing head clean? Use the cleaning function of your printer to clean it. Are ink tanks full? Replace empty or nearly empty ink tanks.
  • If you have a laser printer: check the toner. Remove the cartridge from the printer, rotate it several times from one side to another, shaking it well. Put it again into your printer. If you have an option for cleaning the drum and other parts of the pronter: clean them following the manufacturers instruction.

However, this seems to be software problem, not a hardware. So first check all possibile options in Word and then in printer driver.
Please tell us what kind of printer it is (type and model number, precisely please), maybe there will be someone having the same kind of printer, who could tell you more. In general all printers work nearly the same, but there are big differencies when it comes to printer driver and its options.

regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-03-12 12:47]
Collapse

Bianca Jacobsohn
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checklist Mar 12, 2006

Hi Jerzy, and thanks for getting back to my query!

I have a 2nd-hand HP psc 950.
As far as I know, there isn't any hidden text. I have a done a print preview and everything is there.
Also, I'm printing in greyscale.

The fact that with each attempt the images are always printed makes me think that I'm simply running low on black ink...? It just seems strange that the printer would print so randomly. Maybe it's just messing with my head...

;o)

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, then check the black ink Mar 12, 2006

You should be able to do that from your printer driver.
I do not have any inkjet here, we do not use such printers anymore.
But AFAIR each of them we had previously was able to show, how many ink there was. And usually they alarmed, when ink was empty.

Pleas go to Start - Printer or Start - Control panel - Printer (depends on your Windows configuration), right click on your HP printer and chose Properties. There you should somwhere have an option for ink capacity. And th
... See more
You should be able to do that from your printer driver.
I do not have any inkjet here, we do not use such printers anymore.
But AFAIR each of them we had previously was able to show, how many ink there was. And usually they alarmed, when ink was empty.

Pleas go to Start - Printer or Start - Control panel - Printer (depends on your Windows configuration), right click on your HP printer and chose Properties. There you should somwhere have an option for ink capacity. And there should also be an option for head cleaning.
AFAIR when you open the cover of a HP printer, there is also a description how to start head cleaning. This is what I would do. And if you have enough ink, but the printer still does not print even after head cleaning, you can remove the ink cartridge from the printer. In case of HP printer the head and cartridge are one unint. Take some alcohol and a cloth and very carefully wipe the head. This helps sometimes. But the inkjets tend to dry out, when not used for a longer period of time. This is one of the reasons we do not use them. The secon reason are very high printing costs when using an inkjet printer.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Bianca Jacobsohn
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ink Mar 12, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

I followed your instructions, but I don't seem to have such options (ink capacity, head cleaning..) in properties (control panel > printers, etc).

But upon further experimentation (trying to print normal fontm etc) I'm pretty sure it is the ink which is low.

Though I find it strange that the printer has not given me warning, as it usually does. What I will also do, is follow your advice and clean the heads. I hope this should do the trick.
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

I followed your instructions, but I don't seem to have such options (ink capacity, head cleaning..) in properties (control panel > printers, etc).

But upon further experimentation (trying to print normal fontm etc) I'm pretty sure it is the ink which is low.

Though I find it strange that the printer has not given me warning, as it usually does. What I will also do, is follow your advice and clean the heads. I hope this should do the trick.

Thanks again!

PS> We are seriously looking into buying a laser printer. It's unbelievable how $$$ cartridges are!
Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:56
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
HP Program? Mar 12, 2006

Bianca AH wrote:

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks again!

PS> We are seriously looking into buying a laser printer. It's unbelievable how $$$ cartridges are!

HP usually has some kind of tool that you can find through All Programs that will give you some diagnostics. Something to try...

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
may be it is a driver problem Mar 13, 2006

check on hp website.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=60259&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=8&submit.x=5&lang=en&cc=us

Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printer printing randomly

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »