Konica-Minolta All-in-One experience?
Thread poster: PAS
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2006

I'm eyeing a Konica Minolta Pagepro 1380 MF laser printer/scanner.

What is the experience of my esteemed colleagues with this brand? (not necessarily with that model).

I am looking to get out of inkjet printing. Cartridges run out faster than I can replace them and I thought I would replace my scanner at the same time, thus reducing hardware clutter.
Scanner quality is not really an issue, but pages per cartridge efficiency is.

Thanks in advance,
... See more
I'm eyeing a Konica Minolta Pagepro 1380 MF laser printer/scanner.

What is the experience of my esteemed colleagues with this brand? (not necessarily with that model).

I am looking to get out of inkjet printing. Cartridges run out faster than I can replace them and I thought I would replace my scanner at the same time, thus reducing hardware clutter.
Scanner quality is not really an issue, but pages per cartridge efficiency is.

Thanks in advance,

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you do not have room issues, chose a scanner and a printer separately Oct 6, 2006

This way you can exchange one without having to exchange another.
I do not have any particular experience with Konica-Minolta printers, but I used to have Lexmark printers with Minolta printing head. The printing quality was always very good, but the durability of Lexmark printers left a lot of wishes open. Both monochrome printers went faulty after approximately 3 years of usage (having printed not more than 50,000 pages). The repair cost was always more or nearly the same a buying a new
... See more
This way you can exchange one without having to exchange another.
I do not have any particular experience with Konica-Minolta printers, but I used to have Lexmark printers with Minolta printing head. The printing quality was always very good, but the durability of Lexmark printers left a lot of wishes open. Both monochrome printers went faulty after approximately 3 years of usage (having printed not more than 50,000 pages). The repair cost was always more or nearly the same a buying a new printer.
The color one (Lexmark C510) was a dissapointment because of quite high page cost.
Before you buy I would check the page costs.
A friend of mine, who prints a lot (he is not a translator, but has a promotion agency), uses Oki, because he can use alternative toner instead of the OEM and thus can print much cheaper.
I don´t know the situation in Poland, but here in Germany one could rent a printer and pay only for the materials. For example you could get some Xerox or Oki models. If you are printing enough, this is a vey interesting option, as you do not pay for the printer, but only a guaranteed (and really nice) price for printouts.

We do not print enough, so I eventually ended with a Canon LiDE50 scanner (a nice small device, enough for our needs) and a Xerox Phaser 8550 DP solid ink printer. This is the best machine I ever had - fast and producing printouts of superior quality. Before I bought the Xerox I got test printouts from the dealer for a Konica-Minolta, Oki and Xerox. For business graphis the Konica-Minolta would have been a good choice, but it was still more expensive as the Xerox. Oki produces nice printouts, but finally I chose the Xerox for its glossy printout and the integrated duplex.

Just food for thoughts
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:25
English to Greek
+ ...
More food for thought Oct 6, 2006

I agree on the principle of using two machines instead of 2-in-1. Combined functions don't always wear well and you get superior results from separate, specialized machines.

I agree with Jerzy regarding the quality of the solid ink Xerox phaser, however you could look at the Epson brand too, which makes the Aculaser series (very good) for about two thirds of the price of a Xerox (though not solid ink) and they make excellent and reliable scanners

Hope this helps!
... See more
I agree on the principle of using two machines instead of 2-in-1. Combined functions don't always wear well and you get superior results from separate, specialized machines.

I agree with Jerzy regarding the quality of the solid ink Xerox phaser, however you could look at the Epson brand too, which makes the Aculaser series (very good) for about two thirds of the price of a Xerox (though not solid ink) and they make excellent and reliable scanners

Hope this helps!

Lina

[Edited at 2006-10-06 12:37]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Separate or combined Oct 6, 2006

Jerzy and Lina:

I am quite aware of the drawbacks of combined components as compared to separate units.
I don't have space problems - I am also considering simply buying a laser printer and keeping the inkjet to print pictures or whatever I may need in colour and the stand-alone scanner.

I just don't like having too many pieces - more cables, more clutter, need to buy a PCI USB adapter (I know they're cheap, but...)
Another reason is that I am slowly becomin
... See more
Jerzy and Lina:

I am quite aware of the drawbacks of combined components as compared to separate units.
I don't have space problems - I am also considering simply buying a laser printer and keeping the inkjet to print pictures or whatever I may need in colour and the stand-alone scanner.

I just don't like having too many pieces - more cables, more clutter, need to buy a PCI USB adapter (I know they're cheap, but...)
Another reason is that I am slowly becoming tired of HP unreliability - not breakdowns, just general issues with HP stuff not performing very well - paper jams, mysteriously failed cartridges and, like I mentioned - ink running out very quickly.

Also - my scan and print quality requirements are quite low - I only ever print draft copies and I use the scanner occasionally for simple OCR or (mostly) my wife to put images into teaching materials.

Pawel
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please consider Oki then Oct 6, 2006

http://germany.oki.com/fcgi-bin/public.fcgi?pid=4&cid=126&chid=10&prid=536&pdflag=1

Oki delivers high-quality printing for reasonable prices.

Best
Jerzy

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Konica (color laser printer) Oct 6, 2006

I agree with Jerzy, inasmuch as he recommends buying separate machines. I have had nothing but problems with combinations; I have now sworn never to buy one again.

I did, however, recently purchase a Konica Minolta color laser printer (magicolor 5430DL). I was sick of seeing the pixels in my printouts. The print quality is excellent (high DPI), it prints 19 pages a minute in full color, and it was cheaper than even most B/W laser printers (the cost/page is also excellent).
... See more
I agree with Jerzy, inasmuch as he recommends buying separate machines. I have had nothing but problems with combinations; I have now sworn never to buy one again.

I did, however, recently purchase a Konica Minolta color laser printer (magicolor 5430DL). I was sick of seeing the pixels in my printouts. The print quality is excellent (high DPI), it prints 19 pages a minute in full color, and it was cheaper than even most B/W laser printers (the cost/page is also excellent).

There was a special—it even came with 2000 sheets of high-quality paper and a rebate; it might still be going on (try Geizkragen.de). It was delivered to my apartment within three (3) days after I ordered (via Internet on the weekend); that's the German post office for you (or was it DHL?)—simply awesome.

I've had it for a little over a month and I am totally happy with it. I also have a scanner that I rarely use, but which is sufficient (it gathers dust in the closet).

Good luck getting the right machine for you!

[Edited at 2006-10-06 14:38]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 9, 2006

to all for their input. I remember now that a project I worked in used a K-M colour laser printer. It worked quite well. No one had reason to complain.

My question really concerns overall usage issues. Without any rational justification, I have always perceived K-M as a fairly solid brand, but it's always good to get information from an actual user.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
If you can read German... Oct 11, 2006

Hi Pawel,

I just had the same problem so I was searching around quite a lot and now decided to buy a laser printer (being fed up with dry ink-cartridges!) and a scanner separately.
One of the best places in German to find informations about printers and in this case especially ab
... See more
Hi Pawel,

I just had the same problem so I was searching around quite a lot and now decided to buy a laser printer (being fed up with dry ink-cartridges!) and a scanner separately.
One of the best places in German to find informations about printers and in this case especially about your choice is here:

http://druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1473&seite=2&t=fazit_fuenf_modelle_im_berblick

They have a test and some other advices there, also about similar printer/scanners.

Good luck!

Charlotte
Collapse

Orbaye
Orbaye
Malay to English
Konica-Minolta 2400w Oct 15, 2006

I ahve a KM 2400W Colour laser printer with saperate Canon lide60. I find the printer excellent, hve recommended to friend. The printer is quite cheap and cost of cartridge toners not too bad. It uses 4 toners, black,cyan.yellow and magenta. a little bulky compared to injets and a little noiser.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Support issues? Mar 19, 2007

Hi all,

We're running 3-4 heavy duty Konica-Minolta all-in-one office machines here at our headquarter.

They're on a lease contract, but my experience of the on-location support hasn't been that favourable.

The salesmen are a lot of hot air, but it takes forever to get things done. I've had basic issues reported for months, dragging on.

Technically, I love these machines, esp. the multi-page scan to PDF. Too bad the brand is souled but sluggish
... See more
Hi all,

We're running 3-4 heavy duty Konica-Minolta all-in-one office machines here at our headquarter.

They're on a lease contract, but my experience of the on-location support hasn't been that favourable.

The salesmen are a lot of hot air, but it takes forever to get things done. I've had basic issues reported for months, dragging on.

Technically, I love these machines, esp. the multi-page scan to PDF. Too bad the brand is souled but sluggish support.

Greetings from Sweden...

/Jan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Konica-Minolta All-in-One experience?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »