Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:47
Flemish to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2006

I have an Asustek P5P8005 mother-board and would like to buy a Maxtor 320 G DiamondMax 21 ATA100 hard-disk.
But how do I know whether or not this hard-disk will be compatible with the mother-board. Will the mother-board recognize the hard-disk?
I have been reading through the specs of the mother-board and the hard-disk, but neither gives a clear answer to the question?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:47
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have any specifications on you MoBo? Nov 3, 2006

With the code you gave I couldn´t find anything on the Net.

What you only need to know is if your MoBo does have a parallel interface (EIDE or PATA). If yes, you can connect the Maxtor HDD.
You will not need to change any settings . just to tell BIOS, that a HDD is connected. Usually you even do not need to do this, as the default setting is "Auto detection".

After the drive is connected, you will be able to format and use it in Windows as any other drive.
... See more
With the code you gave I couldn´t find anything on the Net.

What you only need to know is if your MoBo does have a parallel interface (EIDE or PATA). If yes, you can connect the Maxtor HDD.
You will not need to change any settings . just to tell BIOS, that a HDD is connected. Usually you even do not need to do this, as the default setting is "Auto detection".

After the drive is connected, you will be able to format and use it in Windows as any other drive.

May I ask why did you chose Maxtor? Does this have any particular reason? Maxtor was recently taken over by Seagate and the product name "Maxtor" will vanish.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
I´ve moved the topic to the hardware forum, which is perfectly suitable for such kind of quiestion.

[Edited at 2006-11-03 10:55]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:47
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MoBo: has to be : P5P800S Nov 3, 2006

I took the "S" for "5".
Here are the specs:
-->The P5P800S combines the latest LGA775 socket with the 848P chipset to take full advantage of AGP 8X and PCI slots. Other excellent specifications include Serial ATA, 6-channel audio CODEC, 10/100Mbps LAN and several ASUS unique features -- CPU Lock Free, C.P.R., My Logo, and CrashFree BIOS 2.
---
The HD's are not situated within the case, but in removable racks with ATA-slots.
-
How do you know the maximum cap
... See more
I took the "S" for "5".
Here are the specs:
-->The P5P800S combines the latest LGA775 socket with the 848P chipset to take full advantage of AGP 8X and PCI slots. Other excellent specifications include Serial ATA, 6-channel audio CODEC, 10/100Mbps LAN and several ASUS unique features -- CPU Lock Free, C.P.R., My Logo, and CrashFree BIOS 2.
---
The HD's are not situated within the case, but in removable racks with ATA-slots.
-
How do you know the maximum capacity of HD a mother-board supports?
---
The Hd I intend to buy is Maxtor 320 G DiamondMax 21 ATA100 STM3320620A (ATA100 - 7200 rpm - 16 mb cache) Manufactured by Seagate. I guess the store still has a lot of Maxtors in stock.

Should I buy :
Maxtor 500 G DiamondMax 11 SATA2 6H500F0 (16mb cache - 7200 rpm - SATA300 - 3.0Gb Serial ATA interface)
Should I buy, say a 400 gig HD, how do I know that the Mobo will recognize that 400 -500 gig HD?
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
You're in the clear Nov 3, 2006

It will work just fine - your mobo is a somewhat recent model. I take it you are using Windows XP, though - Windows 95 might not support large drives.

If you are willing to place the drive inside the case, I suggest you buy an SATA drive (more due to compatibility with a future system you may later upgrade to than due to better performance.)

In any case, you even have one PATA100 controller on-board, so you shouldn't experience any compatibility issues at all.
... See more
It will work just fine - your mobo is a somewhat recent model. I take it you are using Windows XP, though - Windows 95 might not support large drives.

If you are willing to place the drive inside the case, I suggest you buy an SATA drive (more due to compatibility with a future system you may later upgrade to than due to better performance.)

In any case, you even have one PATA100 controller on-board, so you shouldn't experience any compatibility issues at all.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
SATA and ATA both go on this Nov 3, 2006

Hi! I have taken same board lately on one comp. they support both S-ATA and ATA types of HDs. I would not go for extra large HDs due to cache issues, instead I would go for smaller 2 HDs split in partitions, this makes the access easier and faster reaction. Best Brandis

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no particular limit for the HDD size with Windows XP AFAIK Nov 3, 2006

And you will do just fine with the Maxtor.
Why I asked is, because these are not the fastest drives you can get. If some 10-20 Euros more with similar capacity do not matter much, chose a Seagate Barracuda (with a big cache). These are much faster.
The fastest you can get are Western Digital Raptors, but these are quite expensive, as they cost more than the Maxtor you chose and offer only about 150 GB of space.

As for the compatibility questions, Benjamin has told you al
... See more
And you will do just fine with the Maxtor.
Why I asked is, because these are not the fastest drives you can get. If some 10-20 Euros more with similar capacity do not matter much, chose a Seagate Barracuda (with a big cache). These are much faster.
The fastest you can get are Western Digital Raptors, but these are quite expensive, as they cost more than the Maxtor you chose and offer only about 150 GB of space.

As for the compatibility questions, Benjamin has told you already everything.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility between mother-board and hard-disk

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »