Buying a new computer-what is necessary to run Trados?
Thread poster: michiko tsum (X)
michiko tsum (X)
michiko tsum (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:04
English to Japanese
Dec 12, 2006

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new computer this Christmas season. I am not familiar with IT and I would like to get some ideas before I march in to a store.

I am not using any CATs at the moment but will probably get Trados next year. I see some topics in this forum related to problems with Trados. Is there anything I should know regarding capacity, memory, compatibility, etc. (I know the bigger the number is, the better but what would it be for comfortably using
... See more
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new computer this Christmas season. I am not familiar with IT and I would like to get some ideas before I march in to a store.

I am not using any CATs at the moment but will probably get Trados next year. I see some topics in this forum related to problems with Trados. Is there anything I should know regarding capacity, memory, compatibility, etc. (I know the bigger the number is, the better but what would it be for comfortably using CATs)? I would be using it to translate from English into Japanese.

Any comments would be very much appreciated.
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:04
English to Indonesian
+ ...
standard specs should suffice Dec 13, 2006

i think the standard specification of today's desktop, or even laptop, should be sufficient for Trados.
i mean, you can get by with:
- pentium 4 or later processor
- 512mb or more ram
- 80gb or more hard disk capacity, with at least two partition. one for system and one for data.
if you want to be comfortable, buy an lcd monitor. the 17" ones are a bargain nowadays. and of course buy an optical mouse with scroll to minimize stress on your hand......
See more
i think the standard specification of today's desktop, or even laptop, should be sufficient for Trados.
- 512mb or more ram
- 80gb or more hard disk capacity, with at least two partition. one for system and one for data.
if you want to be comfortable, buy an lcd monitor. the 17" ones are a bargain nowadays. and of course buy an optical mouse with scroll to minimize stress on your hand...
if you want to be mobile, consider buying a laptop. new ones can easily surpass the above specifications.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:04
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
2 more suggestions Dec 13, 2006

Generally I agree with Mulyadi, only I would suggest to buy 19" monitor- that really makes a difference- on 19" you can comfortably keep, say, 2 Words documents opened on the screen side by side. About a month ago I bought one with inbuilt speakers (Philips 190 Xs) for about EUR 360.

And the other thing is that 1 Gb RAM would be better- some applications use much of that and with 1 GB your computer will be more stable and lively. Price difference between 512 Mb and 1 Gb RAM will be
... See more
Generally I agree with Mulyadi, only I would suggest to buy 19" monitor- that really makes a difference- on 19" you can comfortably keep, say, 2 Words documents opened on the screen side by side. About a month ago I bought one with inbuilt speakers (Philips 190 Xs) for about EUR 360.

And the other thing is that 1 Gb RAM would be better- some applications use much of that and with 1 GB your computer will be more stable and lively. Price difference between 512 Mb and 1 Gb RAM will be some EUR 30-40, I think.

And yes, If you are thinking ahead, I seem to recall reading somewhere (I may be wrong), that Windows Vista will require 1 Gb of RAM.

As to the Trados, I haven't seen a computer yet on which it wouldn't run, it did run well even on my old 500 MHz laptop I discarded more than a year ago.

Uldis

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

- 512mb or more ram
if you want to be comfortable, buy an lcd monitor. the 17" ones are a bargain nowadays. and of course buy an optical mouse with scroll to minimize stress on your hand...
if you want to be mobile, consider buying a laptop. new ones can easily surpass the above specifications.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-12-13 10:13]

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-12-13 10:18]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Entry level, with extra RAM Dec 13, 2006

michiko tsumura wrote:

The "entry level" should be fine, but spend some money on additional RAM (get yourself at least 1 gigabyte). Get a nice big hard drive, too.

A week ago I bought a computer which I hope will last me 4 or 5 years -- it's an 3.8 GHz machine with 1 GB RAM and a DVD-writer (I was able to reuse two of my old computer's hard drives, so now my son can use the old one for silly games).

In the new year I intend to buy a laptop too -- my sight is set on an HP NX6325 2.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
TW_users Dec 13, 2006

Hi Michiko,

If you're going to use Trados for Japanese, you might want to sign up for the TW_users Yahoo group and browse the archive.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

Double-byte languages can pose special problems for CAT tools but there are some very experienced Trados-using EN - JA translators in the group who may be able to help.
... See more
Hi Michiko,

If you're going to use Trados for Japanese, you might want to sign up for the TW_users Yahoo group and browse the archive.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

Double-byte languages can pose special problems for CAT tools but there are some very experienced Trados-using EN - JA translators in the group who may be able to help.

As far as your computer is concerned, you've had plenty of good advice. Entry-level (or above) is OK and invest some cash in extra RAM and/or a decent monitor.

Cheers,

Giles

[Edited at 2006-12-13 12:00]
Collapse

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
A LCD is fine. Dec 13, 2006

Translation is a time-consuming work; we have to spend much time to turn our face to the monitor. A LCD is good for your eyes.

Han Li

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Couldn't live without my trackball Dec 13, 2006

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

... and of course buy an optical mouse with scroll to minimize stress on your hand...

For zero stress try a trackball mouse: requires no arm movements and minimal desk space. I couldn't live without it and I don't understand why so few people are familiar with it.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:04
English to Indonesian
+ ...
trackpoint on laptop Dec 14, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:

For zero stress try a trackball mouse: requires no arm movements and minimal desk space. I couldn't live without it and I don't understand why so few people are familiar with it.

this is a great idea. i also particularly like the trackpoint on my ibm for the same reason.

michiko tsum (X)
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everybody! Dec 14, 2006

Thank you very much everyone for your replies. Now I have some ideas what to look for.

Thank you Mulyadi, Uldis, Samuel, for giving me some specific numbers. That was a big help.

Giles, Han, Tina, thank you for good tips and the link. I suppose our language could be quite complicated. I've never thought about using trackpoint. I should definitely check it out. Thanks again.

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Probably two monitors Dec 21, 2006

Documents to translate with Trados very often are accompanied by PDF's. It's possible to put two or more screens on one computer, you onlu need the right video card (and an additional monitor and cables of course).
This way you can show the translated document on one and the PDF on the other monitor.

Next tot that it save you whe
... See more
Documents to translate with Trados very often are accompanied by PDF's. It's possible to put two or more screens on one computer, you onlu need the right video card (and an additional monitor and cables of course).
This way you can show the translated document on one and the PDF on the other monitor.

Next tot that it save you when you are tinkering with your translation tools http://www.proz.com/topic/62074
Collapse

michiko tsum (X)
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Henk. Dec 21, 2006

Yes, very good point. I've seen someone using two screens and I would definitely look into getting an extra monitor. Thanks for the link as well. It really saves tons of headaches when you have all the systems running they you expect them to, dosen't it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying a new computer-what is necessary to run Trados?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »