Info for laptop users about EVO Compaq
Thread poster: claude
claude
claude
Thailand
Local time: 07:24
English to French
Jan 7, 2003

If you are like me a mobile translator using these small laptops, this might be interesting. I bought a Compaq EVO N200 a few months ago, WITHOUT the base station (with parallel/serial ports, DVD/CD) as I can do everything with PCMCIA and USB ports.

I sent it for repair and I wanted to reformat and reinstall Win 2000 with the CDs included from Compaq. What happens (and this was confirmed to me by the tech support) is that you can\'t. The computer must boot on the CDs designed by Compaq
... See more
If you are like me a mobile translator using these small laptops, this might be interesting. I bought a Compaq EVO N200 a few months ago, WITHOUT the base station (with parallel/serial ports, DVD/CD) as I can do everything with PCMCIA and USB ports.

I sent it for repair and I wanted to reformat and reinstall Win 2000 with the CDs included from Compaq. What happens (and this was confirmed to me by the tech support) is that you can\'t. The computer must boot on the CDs designed by Compaq to reinstall Win2K, and you can\'t boot on a CD if you have not the base station. So, if you have a problem while travelling or don\'t buy the option ...

Now, according to the tech support, I have to find a CD Win2K from Microsoft, copy it and use my licence ID (as you can reinstall without booting from it with the original CD). But they can\'t send it to me as Microsoft does not allow it.

How they could ignore that people could need to reinstall Windows on their computer and provide useless CDs is a mystery.
Collapse

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:24
English to Russian
+ ...
I have expected similar problems with Compaq Armada Jan 16, 2003

In 1999, I have bought my Compaq Armada with special Compaq Windows OS, which is totally doesn\'t support Cyrillic (I\'m Russian, so I need to type in Russian). I tried to re-install \"normal\" Win98, and it raised a list of problems with drivers for video card, sound card etc. Fortunately, I have fixed all of them, but it took too much forces! Since I don\'t recommend to buy Compaq notebooks...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info for laptop users about EVO Compaq

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »