I am not a robot
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
if this is the case Apr 4, 2017

When one actively searches quite many things, then I would go for different search engines or--even better--for meta-search systems aka meta-crawlers.

I used to work with Copernic Desktop and similar 'multi-search' software, but no more.

Cheers

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Local time: 13:06
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Happens all the time Apr 5, 2017

This happens a lot if you are looking up term that may be deemed "sensitive". Whenever I am working on a translation regarding explosion safety or something similar I get it all the time. I usually change to Yahoo for the time being.

Polangmar
Polangmar
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There seems to be a solution Apr 5, 2017

After the first CAPTCHA slow down your activity, meaning after writing or pasting your term wait a second or two (better: until the cursor starts flashing again) before clicking on the search button or pressing Enter. At least, it worked with me.

Regards

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Google learning Apr 6, 2017

Apparently, Google is listening, or it is starting to get used to me. As of yesterday it is happy for me only to check the 'I am not a robot' box; I no longer have to identify photos of road signs, shop fronts and the like. I feel like we may become friends.

Olly

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Yes, they read these forums too Apr 6, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Apparently, Google is listening, or it is starting to get used to me.

They are monitoring the Proz forums too. I'm not allowed to give any further information about this.

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Same here Apr 10, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

I keep having to verify that I'm not a robot when searching with google by checking a box and identifying various objects in a picture (happens in both IE and Chrome). Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

Olly

I often do a lot of searches rapidly one after the other. So I've been experiencing a lot of these time-consuming captchas! Sometimes ith images to check, sometimes not.
With Opera, Firefox, Chrome...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Spelling Apr 11, 2017

I suppose they think misspelling it as "CAPTCHA" instead of "CAPTURE" will lull people into thinking it's soft, fuzzy, and friendly.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am not a robot

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »