Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
It was a bit convoluted Dec 17, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Sounds very impressive to me! Do you have a photo of your antenna? Do you still need it or would you sell it?

It was involved but not difficult. I dug a hole in the ground at the top of the hill, one metre deep and about 25cm wide. I bought a wooden gate post from my local farm shop, I think it is 200mm square and 2.8 metres long. I shoveled some gravel into the hole, stood the post in the hole on the gravel, got somebody to hold the post for me while I poured in a bag of postcrete, watered the concrete as per instructions, then poured in another and so on until it was full. Think it took 4 bags?

I gave it a few days for the postcrete to cure, then I drilled two large holes in a smaller post (100mm square, maybe?) and 4.8 metres long, and used great big carriage bolts to bolt it to the post concreted into the ground. I attached an omnidirectional antenna at the top, and connected that to a Huawei 4G modem in a waterproof box at the bottom of the pole. This in turn was connected to a Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 transceiver that blasted the signal from the 4G modem the 150 metres or so down to an identical receiver in the window of the house, which was in turn connected to the house network. It worked fine. Ubiquiti kit has been unbreakable, even stuck out on a hill all year round. Really impressed.

However, I have retired that setup now because about a year ago I found that local 4G coverage had improved and that I could now get a 4G signal at roof level, so I had an antenna put next to the chimney with the signal piped into the attic through a small hole in the wall. That is plugged into the house network switch. I still can't get 4G at ground level, so the 8m advantage you get from putting it at roof level can make the difference between a system that works well and a system that doesn't work at all. That's what I'd look into if I were you. You'd definitely want a professional involved for a roof installation.

Installing (it was 2016, not 2015, sorry) the pole with the help of the Land Rover (roof is useful for standing on).

IMG_20160806_095109-50%

On a chilly March day, when the wind blew so hard the circuit box flipped upside down. The pole of the antenna is visible as a vertical twig-like object on the hill in the middle of the picture.

IMG_20180318_092125-50%

Matthias Brombach

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Planning permission Dec 18, 2020

Very interesting - though a little extreme. I assume you had to apply for planning permission?

Lovely little hut. It reminded me of Thoreau's little hut at Walden Pond (which is supposed to have looked like this)

Walden

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Water Dec 18, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
Lovely little hut. It reminded me of Thoreau's little hut at Walden Pond (which is supposed to have looked like this)

Our little hut fulfils the rather prosaic function of housing the pump for the private water supply, so like Walden Pond it does have an association with the aqueous element, but I think that's where any similarities begin and end. I would like sash windows in my shed like the one in your photo. Very fond of a good sash window - I saw some handmade double-glazed ones the other day. They had a super-smooth action, but were pricey. We had a joiner do some light repair on the sash windows on my mother's house last year. As far as he can tell, the structure is original and dates back to the 1870s. Still working fine.

Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastical Dec 18, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Our little hut fulfils the rather prosaic function of housing the pump for the private water supply, so like Walden Pond it does have an association with the aqueous element, but I think that's where any similarities begin and end. I would like sash windows in my shed like the one in your photo. Very fond of a good sash window - I saw some handmade double-glazed ones the other day. They had a super-smooth action, but were pricey. We had a joiner do some light repair on the sash windows on my mother's house last year. As far as he can tell, the structure is original and dates back to the 1870s. Still working fine.

Dan

I actually think that "reconstruction" of Thoreau's hut is a bit fantastical. I can't imagine him walking all the way into Concord to buy sash windows and then humping them all the way back to the Pond- on foot. All in all I find this fantastical reconstruction a bit too sophisticated compared to how I imagine it.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 18:45
English to German
In the countryside consider satellites Dec 18, 2020

Chris S wrote:

In the countryside where you're still on copper wires, you take what you can get.

For those who live in the countryside: Google for internet + satellite. In these days there ARE possibilities. Except if you reside in a deep valley or in a forest.

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Philippe Locquet

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thank you ... Dec 18, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

at roof level can make the difference between a system that works well and a system that doesn't work at all. That's what I'd look into if I were you. You'd definitely want a professional involved for a roof installation.

... for sharing and what a huge effort all in all. I should have known better that the 6-m antenna you mentioned earlier was related to the bandwidth of 6 m and not to its dimensions.
At least there is plenty of space in the area where you live, which leaves freedom enough to install all the necessary equipment you had to use. Yes, an appropriate antenna on the roof or in the attic would be an option, but not worth the effort for the few times per year I visit my parents in their home.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-12-18 10:13 GMT]

CHEN-Ling
CHEN-Ling  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:45
Chinese to English
+ ...
Experienced medical translator Dec 18, 2020

捕获
Download Mbps

Upload Mbps

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Only option for some Dec 18, 2020

Rolf Keller wrote:
For those who live in the countryside: Google for internet + satellite.

Good point, Rolf. I looked quite closely at this in the UK. Ultimately it looked more costly, and offered less generous quotas, significantly lower speeds and much worse lag than 4G in my specific location. However, in some areas (such as parts of the Preseli not far from me, mid-Wales, the Highlands of Scotland) I would imagine that satellite really is the only higher speed option, and probably a lifeline for people who need it.

Dan

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Philippe Etienne

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Agreed Dec 18, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
All in all I find this fantastical reconstruction a bit too sophisticated compared to how I imagine it.

I too imagined something with much more rough and ready. Given that Laura Ingalls Wilder describes her father building a log house in the 1870s, and that Thoreau was at Waldon Pond twenty five years earlier in the late 1840s, I am surprised by the implication in the photo that wooden cladding was used - would that have been authentic and representative of the era?

Even if it was, he would have needed to have it carried or carted in. I would have thought the genuine thing to do would have been to build a log cabin using the trees and wood available on site, but maybe Thoreau wasn't as good with his hands as Charles Ingalls.

Dan

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Dec 18, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
All in all I find this fantastical reconstruction a bit too sophisticated compared to how I imagine it.

I too imagined something with much more rough and ready. Given that Laura Ingalls Wilder describes her father building a log house in the 1870s, and that Thoreau was at Waldon Pond twenty five years earlier in the late 1840s, I am surprised by the implication in the photo that wooden cladding was used - would that have been authentic and representative of the era?

Even if it was, he would have needed to have it carried or carted in. I would have thought the genuine thing to do would have been to build a log cabin using the trees and wood available on site, but maybe Thoreau wasn't as good with his hands as Charles Ingalls.

Dan

those wooden shingles are just ridiculous. To build his cabin that way Thoreau would have had to frame it up with planed timbers, carefully spaced the same distance apart. He would than have had to make the shingles, all exactly the same, and then nail them one by one to the framing. The more I think about this "reproduction" the more I'm offended by it. I would burn it down if I had the chance!

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think at last I've got a pretty good connection Dec 18, 2020

Speedtest
Our fibre setup arrived late last year; before that I had 6 mbps download speed as a maximum.

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
In Germany (NRW) Dec 18, 2020

Download speed: 46.89 Mbps
Upload speed: 9.69 Mbps

Fast enough for working, not fast enough for streaming (especially in the evening).

Luca Falzoni (X)
Luca Falzoni (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In a small town in western Lombardy... Dec 19, 2020

...I get somewhat erratic net performances (my connection is a 4G and I use a Wi-Fi router), from 20 to 50 Mbit/s in downstream and from 5 to 20 Mbit/s in upstream. It depends a lot on the time of day.

Cheers,
Luca

Antoine Wicquart
Antoine Wicquart  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 19:45
German to French
+ ...
I used to live in Germany and have the worst connection ever... Dec 19, 2020

... until I moved to Estonia :]

speedtest

Fabrizio Ferrero
Fabrizio Ferrero  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes, I get what I pay for Dec 21, 2020

2020-12-21_155553

29.99 EUR per month

[Modificato alle 2020-12-21 15:07 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How fast is your internet connection?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »