Future tense verb with a past tense participle?
Thread poster: Dr. Taylor
Dr. Taylor
Dr. Taylor
United States
Greek (Ancient) to English
Nov 6, 2020

In ancient Greece, the construct of a future tense verb with a past tense participle was uncommon but acceptable. In the example below, the writer has "will be + "having been" as a means to concisely convey that what the reader declares will have already occurred in heaven. Without the odd construct, a rather lengthy statement would be necessary.

"Whatever you release on earth will be having been released in heaven."

I have never encountered such a combination in any of
... See more
In ancient Greece, the construct of a future tense verb with a past tense participle was uncommon but acceptable. In the example below, the writer has "will be + "having been" as a means to concisely convey that what the reader declares will have already occurred in heaven. Without the odd construct, a rather lengthy statement would be necessary.

I have never encountered such a combination in any of my other languages (Spanish, Lithuanian, German). Modern translators smooth out the English in this sentence by changing the past tense participle into future tense, "will be released." But the latter sacrifices the author's intended meaning and is misleading.

Has anyone encountered such a construct; and if so, what kind of workaround did they use?
Collapse

Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:54
Arabic to English
3 tenses + 4 aspects Nov 8, 2020

If you look at the 12 combinations of 3 tenses and 4 aspects in English, there are two which include future tense and past participle:

1.) future perfect tense
ex: will have happened (past participle is 'happened')

2.) future perfect continuous tense
ex: will have been happening (past participle is 'been')

Eric Azevedo
Angie Garbarino

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
? Nov 8, 2020

How is this different from “will (already) have been released”?

Eric Azevedo

Eric Azevedo
Eric Azevedo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe we need more context? Nov 8, 2020

Modern translators smooth out the English in this sentence by changing the past tense participle into future tense, "will be released." But the latter sacrifices the author's intended meaning and is misleading.

From your description it would seem like using the future perfect continuous tense would be the adequate choice; it is not such an unusual structure, I see its usage on English as well as on Portuguese (my TL), and I'm pretty sure something similar exists in Spanish.

Since you already know of this structure being an alternative and decided it is not adequate, I wonder what the intended meaning you mention is. Does the ST imply some kind of emphasis on the thing that has already happened? Or is it implying some kind of event that occurs simultaneously in the past, present and future?

[Editada em 2020-11-08 19:36 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:54
Greek to English
Active versus passive Nov 9, 2020

Dr. Taylor wrote:

I think the presence of the passive voice in your example obscures the question (unless that's the point and I'm missing it, which is always possible).

Would a simpler example of the same phenomenon come down to something like this?

Whatever happens on earth will have happened in heaven

If so, what is the problem?

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have seen it translated as ... Nov 9, 2020

Whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven. The word "already" would be implied.

Does this mean the same as the Greek that you are trying to put into English? "Will be having been released" sounds very awkward and I have never heard or read this verb structure. You can say "having been released" in a sentence, or "will have been released," but not not together.

Are you trying to say that it has already been loosed in heaven, but you have to use your
... See more
Whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven. The word "already" would be implied.

Does this mean the same as the Greek that you are trying to put into English? "Will be having been released" sounds very awkward and I have never heard or read this verb structure. You can say "having been released" in a sentence, or "will have been released," but not not together.

Are you trying to say that it has already been loosed in heaven, but you have to use your faith so that what has been loosed already in heaven shall come to pass on earth, by speaking and believing?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Future tense verb with a past tense participle?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »