Thread poster: Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:36
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2019

Does anyone have an idea of what panna vegetale is? And what it's known as in English?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
dairy-free cream Nov 8, 2019

for vegans

Bethany Kachura

Cristina Grassi
Cristina Grassi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
cream made with vegetable fat Nov 8, 2019

Hello Bethany,

Panna vegetale is not completely diary free as it contains a milk protein (sodium caseinate). In my personal opinion, it is not correct to call it dairy-free cream and it is not suitable for vegans (unless the cream is made from soya, then you can call it dairy-free cream).

Please, have a look at this websit
... See more
Hello Bethany,

Panna vegetale is not completely diary free as it contains a milk protein (sodium caseinate). In my personal opinion, it is not correct to call it dairy-free cream and it is not suitable for vegans (unless the cream is made from soya, then you can call it dairy-free cream).

Please, have a look at this website, a brand which sells panna vegetale (http://www.hopla.it/en/hopla-products/aliquam_a_ullamcorper_mi_vestibulum_et_neque_purus)... you can find it in Sainsbury's and all the other popular supermarkets in the UK. They call their panna vegetale "whipping and cooking cream made with vegetable fat" and it can be used for sweet and savoury dishes.

[Edited at 2019-11-08 10:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-11-08 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Caseine-free/dairy-free depending on brands Nov 8, 2019

Apologies for intruding y'all!

"Panna vegetale" is a very non-descriptive denomination, used to cover just about any non-animal content in the "panna", 'mafraid. On a general level, I think "dairy-free cream" can be a valid translation.

A panna vegetale can be based on coconut, rise, soy, almonds "milk" or even cashew (this latest one, I make it myself) and so on. The ingredients added to obtain a creamy spread that feels and behaves as much as possible like real cream
... See more

"Panna vegetale" is a very non-descriptive denomination, used to cover just about any non-animal content in the "panna", 'mafraid. On a general level, I think "dairy-free cream" can be a valid translation.

A panna vegetale can be based on coconut, rise, soy, almonds "milk" or even cashew (this latest one, I make it myself) and so on. The ingredients added to obtain a creamy spread that feels and behaves as much as possible like real cream depend on the manufacturer and there are brands that are totally caseine-free, see for example
https://www.macrolibrarsi.it/prodotti/__crema-da-cucina-cocco-da-montare.php#ingredienti

(I'm no vegan, I have issues with caseine)
Collapse

Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very informative Nov 8, 2019

Valentina Pecchiar wrote:

A panna vegetale can be based on coconut, rise, soy, almonds "milk" or even cashew (this latest one, I make it myself) and so on. The ingredients added to obtain a creamy spread that feels and behaves as much as possible like real cream depend on the manufacturer and there are brands that are totally caseine-free, see for example
https://www.macrolibrarsi.it/prodotti/__crema-da-cucina-cocco-da-montare.php#ingredienti

(I'm no vegan, I have issues with caseine)

Thank you all! I think dairy free cream works here, especially as later it's called DFC, so I presume that stands for Dairy Free Cream.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:36
Italian to English
Dairy-free cream Nov 8, 2019

I second Valentina's suggestion of dairy-free cream. Not just for vegans - for anyone who can't or doesn't want to consume a product containing animal ingredients.
And if it is a dairy-dree cream, it contains no milk proteins.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Kudoz Nov 8, 2019

Wnat is the question doing here anyway? Shouldn't it be a Kudoz question?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Carrara
Luciana Trevisi
Michele Fauble

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
A Cesare quel che è di Cesare, pardon: di Tom Nov 8, 2019

Thanks Fiona, in fact I was seconding Tom's solution

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Panna vegetale" in english?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »