Off topic: Fun with Google Translate
Thread poster: Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 23:11
English to German
Dec 31, 2018

While watching videos about treasure hunting, including metal detecting, I came across a Dutch YouTube user with the username "Niet lullen maar graven". I had a vague idea of what that might mean in German, so I decided to use Google Translate to verify. It turns out that case matters:

Graven2

The translation means: "Do not dig male genitals"

Graven3

The translation means: "Do not dig, but dig".

Well, I suppose that was a successful treasure hunt I had in Google Translate today. What have you dug up?

PS Unless I'm mistaken, "Niet lullen maar graven" means "Do not indulge in idle talk, but dig".

Edit: Heh, it works in English, too - if I set the target language to English, I get "do not dig dicks" and "Do not dig but dig" respectively. This might indicate that the translation from Dutch to German was done via English. Possibly.

[Edited at 2018-12-31 20:46 GMT]

Nadia Silva Castro
gujjula dattathreya

Nadia Silva Castro
Nadia Silva Castro
United States
English to German
+ ...
Difference? Dec 31, 2018

The only difference I saw was in the capitalization of the first word! Confused.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
English as an interlanguage for Machine Translation systems Jan 1, 2019

Ricki Farn wrote:

This might indicate that the translation from Dutch to German was done via English. Possibly.

This has been confirmed indeed! As a user of MT you will always have to keep this in mind (e.g. to interpret funny translations as 'Seehunde' for seals (instead of Dichtungen).

BTW: How about this attempt from DeepL?

Screenshot 2019-01-01 at 11.33.02

Note that adding an exclamation mark (and using proper uppercase at the start of a sentence) can make a difference.

Ricki Farn

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Jan 1, 2019

Hans, that is a new low - by indiscriminately moving "Schwänze" from the noun position in the sentence to that of the verb, the translation has become "Do not play truant, but dig".

At least I could see where the dicks came from (it's the Dutch noun "lul", plural "lullen"), but "playing truant" just results from freely skipping from one homograph to another. Have the squirrels taken over DeepL?

I have even found a possible explanation for "do not dig but dig" in Google
... See more
Hans, that is a new low - by indiscriminately moving "Schwänze" from the noun position in the sentence to that of the verb, the translation has become "Do not play truant, but dig".

At least I could see where the dicks came from (it's the Dutch noun "lul", plural "lullen"), but "playing truant" just results from freely skipping from one homograph to another. Have the squirrels taken over DeepL?

I have even found a possible explanation for "do not dig but dig" in Google Translate. If this entry from Reverso is part of the corpus data:
"Super, goede manier om je eruit te lullen.
Awesome. Way to dig yourself out." [meaning: to talk yourself out of a tricky situation]
then the AI might have assumed a semantic cluster around the idea of "dig" and jumped to conclusions.
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Another one Jan 5, 2019

I was looking for an English explanation for the German tradition of "Weiberfastnacht", which literally translates to "women-fasting-night", i.e. women celebrating one of the nights before Lent, or their gender-specific share of the German carnival. What I got was this:

Weiberfastnacht

We should start a collection. Please share yours!

Edit: Just adding more words to the search string changes its translation, just as different capitalization or punctuation do:

Weiberfastnacht2

I don't think Google Translate will take over our jobs any time soon.

[Edited at 2019-01-05 18:59 GMT]

gujjula dattathreya

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fun with Google Translate Jan 8, 2019

Sorry, i can't seem to figure out how to upload images. You used to be able to use but that no longer works.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_5Bzl8XcAAQgPJ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTWq8-nXcAcRrf6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C__cffkUIAAWDqc.jpg

[Edited at 2019-01-08 21:57 GMT]

Ricki Farn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fun with Google Translate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »