What is the difference between nonclinical and preclinical studies?
Thread poster: Roman Shchadnov
Roman Shchadnov
Roman Shchadnov
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 21, 2018

As a medical translator, I was recently asked about the difference between two terms: “nonclinical study” and “preclinical study”. Unfortunately, I was not able to provide the answer, because I could not find any regulatory documents in which these terms were clearly separated.

As far as I can gather, these terms are very similar (both mainly refer to animal studies with a similar purpose), but the term “preclinical study” refers to a study performed before a first-in-ma
... See more
As a medical translator, I was recently asked about the difference between two terms: “nonclinical study” and “preclinical study”. Unfortunately, I was not able to provide the answer, because I could not find any regulatory documents in which these terms were clearly separated.

As far as I can gather, these terms are very similar (both mainly refer to animal studies with a similar purpose), but the term “preclinical study” refers to a study performed before a first-in-man study, whereas the term “nonclinical study” refers to a study that can be performed both before a clinical study and alongside with it.

Am I right? Or there are other significant differences between them?
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:09
English to Latvian
+ ...
they are the same thing Jan 21, 2018

I don't think there are any technical differences. Pre-clinical studies are so-called from the perspective of regulatory workflow and are needed to commence clinical trials. Whereas nonclinical studies are all those which do not involve human subjects. I can easily imagine them being performed outside the regulatory framework or at any time really.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
French to English
Suggestion Jan 21, 2018

On the one hand, I suspect that nonclinical studies are studies carried out without a specific intention for them to be the basis for a clinical study. On the other hand, I would suppose that pre-clinical studies are carried out with a view to their being specifically relevant to a particular clinical study.
Therefore, I think that these terms do probably not mean the same thing.

[Edited at 2018-01-21 12:55 GMT]

Natalia Novichenko

Jacek Sierakowski
Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
In vitro vs in vivo Jan 21, 2018

Looks like non-clinical are in vitro, while pre-clinical are in vivo animal studies.
http://www.cobioscience.com/biobootcamp/preclinical_mcvean.pdf

Anne Schulz
Anne Schulz
Germany
English to German
+ ...
For the EMA, they are the same Jan 21, 2018

The European Medicines Agency uses both terms interchangeably in their guidelines on pharmaceutical product informations. Whether or not there is a difference in the US, I don't know.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is this useful? Jan 21, 2018

Preclinical study: A study to test a drug, a procedure, or another medical treatment in animals. The aim of a preclinical study is to collect data in support of the safety of the new treatment. Preclinical studies are required before clinical trials in humans can be started.
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=5019

Nonclinical Study
... See more
Preclinical study: A study to test a drug, a procedure, or another medical treatment in animals. The aim of a preclinical study is to collect data in support of the safety of the new treatment. Preclinical studies are required before clinical trials in humans can be started.
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=5019

Nonclinical Study: Biomedical studies not performed on human subjects.
https://clinicaltrials.llu.edu/sites/clinicaltrials.llu.edu/files/docs/clinical-trial-terms-for-researchers.pdf

Also look at “Preclinical and Nonclinical Studies” in http://www.cobioscience.com/biobootcamp/preclinical_mcvean.pdf
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Different language versions of the EMA templates are inconsistent on this point Jan 21, 2018

It's easy to see how the confusion might arise, since the different language versions of the SmPC template seem to be inconsistent. For example, in the exact same passages:
EN template - Sec. 5.3 title refers to "Preclinical safety data" but in the subsequent text it's "non-clinical data".
HR (Croatian) template - Sec. 5.3 refers (in Croatian) to "Non-clinical safety data" in the title and "non-clinical data" in the text
DE template - Sec. 5.3 refers (in German) to "Preclinical
... See more
It's easy to see how the confusion might arise, since the different language versions of the SmPC template seem to be inconsistent. For example, in the exact same passages:
EN template - Sec. 5.3 title refers to "Preclinical safety data" but in the subsequent text it's "non-clinical data".
HR (Croatian) template - Sec. 5.3 refers (in Croatian) to "Non-clinical safety data" in the title and "non-clinical data" in the text
DE template - Sec. 5.3 refers (in German) to "Preclinical safety data" in the title and to "preclinical data" in the text.

No wonder people are confused.
Collapse

Depends at which phase drug is Aug 9, 2018

If the animal studies conducted before IND application then it is call Pre-clinical study. If it is conducted during clinical development of drug, i.e. after IND submission, then it is Non clinical study. This is what i understand!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the difference between nonclinical and preclinical studies?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »