simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:08
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2008

Hello everyone again.
I know it can be done, but get the impression it involves knowledge of computer code, a field in which I am utterly ignorant...
When translating from Italian into English, I need to change my separating points into commas, and my decimal commas into points, so that 123.456,78 becomes 123,456.78. Can anyone please save me a lot of time and hassle by revealing how to automate this at a project creation stage (or subsequently, for that matter)?
Thanks for any
... See more
Hello everyone again.
I know it can be done, but get the impression it involves knowledge of computer code, a field in which I am utterly ignorant...
When translating from Italian into English, I need to change my separating points into commas, and my decimal commas into points, so that 123.456,78 becomes 123,456.78. Can anyone please save me a lot of time and hassle by revealing how to automate this at a project creation stage (or subsequently, for that matter)?
Thanks for any help.
Simon
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 07:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Check forums Nov 25, 2008

Hello Simon,

I don't know the trick but I remember that this question has been asked before. Check the forums for "decimals" or "decimal points" and I think you will find some answers.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:08
English to Spanish
A quick search & replace Nov 26, 2008

using wildcards works on most editors & CAT tools, i.e.:

Searching for [0-9].[0-9] targets only periods between numbers, replace them for a comma (or a non-breaking space for other languages) and you're set.

If you also want to change the decimals you have to take an intermediate step; simply change the commas first for any unused symbol (♥) and then replace it with the period. Also take care to look out for the devious .25 figures with a final search just for .[0-9]

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Auto-translatables Nov 26, 2008

Hello Simon,

Check Auto-Transatables in Project manager > Settings (for the project level) or Tools menu > Options (for the global level, that is, every project involving the same source and target languages). Auto-translatables allow you to create automatic substitutions for your number formats and many other "machine translatable" text portions like conversions, dates etc. Text portions matching an auto-translatable rule will be offered as a hit in the Translation results pane, ju
... See more
Hello Simon,

Check Auto-Transatables in Project manager > Settings (for the project level) or Tools menu > Options (for the global level, that is, every project involving the same source and target languages). Auto-translatables allow you to create automatic substitutions for your number formats and many other "machine translatable" text portions like conversions, dates etc. Text portions matching an auto-translatable rule will be offered as a hit in the Translation results pane, just like hits (matches) from your termbases and translation memories. You can insert them quickly with a double click or a keyboard shortcut.

As others before me pointed out, you will need to fiddle with regular expressions to make this automatic substitution happen. This isn't easy at first, but the net contains many tutorials on the topic, and the MemoQ help itself contains an introductory page on regular expressions, as well as information on their usage in auto-translatables. Learning regular expressions is a good idea anyway since they can be put to good use in many other applications that work with text, including Microsoft Office.

If you really need such a rule and can't make it happen by yourself or the help of the community, you can buy a couple support hours from Kilgray and have the rules created by us.

Bests,

Gergely Vandor
Kilgray

[Edited at 2008-11-26 19:36 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
introduction to number conversion with auto-translatables Dec 2, 2008

Dear Simon, or anyone else interested,

Since this is a common request by MemoQ users, I have created a short introduction to setting up auto-translatable rules for converting number formats. It is in the "Tips and tricks" section of the MemoQ wikibook.

Number formats conversions introduction

The wikibook is open for contributions by the community.

Bes
... See more
Dear Simon, or anyone else interested,

Since this is a common request by MemoQ users, I have created a short introduction to setting up auto-translatable rules for converting number formats. It is in the "Tips and tricks" section of the MemoQ wikibook.

Number formats conversions introduction

The wikibook is open for contributions by the community.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor

Kilgray
Collapse

Eslam Khalil

simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 2, 2008

Thanks everyone, and especially Gergely, who is doing a good job of winning me over to his company's software ,-)

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
you could use your four hours of free support Dec 3, 2008

Simon, every new buyer of MemoQ is entitled to four hours of free support on any topic. That should be enough to solve any remaining problems regarding auto-translatables for number formats.

I hope this makes your decision easier.

Bests,
Gergely

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

substituting decimal commas with decimal points

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »