Finetuning the Concordance search and LSC?
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:25
English to German
+ ...
May 19, 2009

Hello,

I am translating my first project in MemoQ and I am looking for the best concordance search settings. It seems to be the main feature of MemoQ, so we have to get the most out of it.

Is there a way to exclude stop words like of, from, with etc. from the concordance results list? They take up a lot of space for nothing and I have to scroll down to see other hits.

Why do I have to close the concordance search window each time manually? ... See more
Hello,

I am translating my first project in MemoQ and I am looking for the best concordance search settings. It seems to be the main feature of MemoQ, so we have to get the most out of it.

Is there a way to exclude stop words like of, from, with etc. from the concordance results list? They take up a lot of space for nothing and I have to scroll down to see other hits.

Why do I have to close the concordance search window each time manually?

Why this window cannot remember the size and position? It's always shrinked when it pops up the next time

Can't there be a fuzzy treshold also for concordance search otherwise I always get no result when one word of five is not in the TM or "the expression xxx occurs in too many segments".

When looking up an expression from the source segment in the Concordance and inserting a part ofi it in the target segment it's always dropped at the beginning of the sentences. Then I have to copy it again to put it on the right place. Is there a way to insert it directly at the end or where ther cursor was before going to the source field?

Did you change the settings to get better results?

Kind regards

Noe

[Edited at 2009-05-19 13:27 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
we are orking on it :) May 21, 2009

Hello Noe,

LSC (automatic suggestions for concordancing) is a completely new feature and what you currently have is the first version of it. Stay tuned for improvements. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to give away, and I don't even know all the details but we can probably tell you more in private email.

We absolutely understand your concerns about the concordance window, and those will be definitely answered very soon.

About insertion, it should insert t
... See more
Hello Noe,

LSC (automatic suggestions for concordancing) is a completely new feature and what you currently have is the first version of it. Stay tuned for improvements. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to give away, and I don't even know all the details but we can probably tell you more in private email.

We absolutely understand your concerns about the concordance window, and those will be definitely answered very soon.

About insertion, it should insert the selected phrase at the "last" location of the caret in the specific target segment. So if you want it to be inserted at the end, you have to go to the end of the segment first in the target cell, then do the search, and insert. I think you are probably using the new Horizontal Editor feature, where this may not yet be working correctly. I'll make sure it does.

About your other sugestions, I'll consult the developers.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor

Kilgray
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll stay tuned May 22, 2009

Hello Gergely,

thanks for your answer and your proposition to work on it. I didn't really follow the evolution of MemoQ so I don't know how new the features are. Coming from the Trados/Wordfast section my mind is set to horizontal layouts, placeables, green colours, etc. I'll wait and see.

I'd be happy to hear what's in the pipeline.

Regards

Noe

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
status report May 25, 2009

Hello Noe,

Insertion form Concordance into the horizontal editor is now fixed, and from the next build, it should behave the same way as with the horizontal editor turned off.

We are working on the behaviour of the Concordance window (remembering size and location, no need to close manually).

Taming Concordance (the "too many segments" issue) and LSC (stopwords etc.) is a bit more long-term, and I don't know all the details, so I can't promise quick solutio
... See more
Hello Noe,

Insertion form Concordance into the horizontal editor is now fixed, and from the next build, it should behave the same way as with the horizontal editor turned off.

We are working on the behaviour of the Concordance window (remembering size and location, no need to close manually).

Taming Concordance (the "too many segments" issue) and LSC (stopwords etc.) is a bit more long-term, and I don't know all the details, so I can't promise quick solutions to these right now. If you write to our support address, our head of development can probably answer your questions about these.

Best regards,
Gergely
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next update Jun 9, 2009

Hello Gergely,

thanks for your answer so I'll wait for the next update and think about other possible improvements. There must be something, nobody is perfect.

Regards

Noe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finetuning the Concordance search and LSC?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »