Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mail was not delivered by ProZ.com Jun 22, 2009

Just a quick note to address Kevin's comment
I think you and I probably ended up on the spam list because it may have been purchased from ProZ for a mailshot, and in such cases there may be restrictions on access/filtering of the data. Thus existing customers will like us will get an annoying e-mail that we don't need.

Kilgray has worked with ProZ.com in the past, we have run campaigns, TGB's and in the past email delivery, but this particular message (I received it too) was not delivered by ProZ.com, through ProZ.com or in anyway associated with ProZ.com

Thanks

Drew

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:03
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Honest comparison is good Jun 22, 2009

If you're not allowed honest comparison in marketing, especially with software, you're not left with very much to work with. So definitely, compare away.

But if you try to compare MemoQ with Doom for example, I'll hose you down with plasma and rockets, and cheat codes be damned.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:03
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Upgrade path Jun 22, 2009

Considering that the upgrade model for MemoQ is significantly different from other software, it would be great to have detailed information about the periods of eligibility for upgrades and the cost of its renewing. That information is either missing or is not searchable on the website. The only mention about the upgrade model that I found was in the postcardware section (!).

It would be great to know how much will it cost me to be up-to-date within a year or within three-five years
... See more
Considering that the upgrade model for MemoQ is significantly different from other software, it would be great to have detailed information about the periods of eligibility for upgrades and the cost of its renewing. That information is either missing or is not searchable on the website. The only mention about the upgrade model that I found was in the postcardware section (!).

It would be great to know how much will it cost me to be up-to-date within a year or within three-five years, if I purchase the license today. I realize that particular amounts may differ due to economic situation, but, on the other hand, MemoQ has not been around long enough to make an educated guess how much I will pay in the longer term.
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:03
German to English
+ ...
What you don't do Jun 22, 2009

István Lengyel wrote:
However, we have some concerns posting those few items that MemoQ does not do. Not that they are secret at all (we have no problem telling customers we are not the right solution for them if that's the case), but that they may give an impression that others are better just because they don't do this.

I expect a lot of you guys, but I don't expect that to be stated proactively for publication. Privately perhaps, yes, in the context of relevant technical discussions or in response to specific question yes as well.

Besides, there will always be annoying people like me to remind you of what's "missing" in our opinion.

But a focus on facts is great, and a factual point-by-point comparison with a set of claims from SDL has its useful place.

I think with regard to specific applications, workflow descriptions coupled with success stories might be very useful.

Rod Walters
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Gone and done word of mouthed MemoQ Jun 23, 2009

One of my oldest 'Trados' clients was bugging me all this evening saying they couldn't clean up one of my files. What version of Trados did I have again? What version of Word? What OS? What mousepad am I using? I looked at the error logs they sent me and suggested a number of Trados tricks that I know.

Then, after several hours, they sent an email saying that they couldn't clean up the file with 2007 Suite, but they could with Freelance 7, which is the version I use. It was just a s
... See more
One of my oldest 'Trados' clients was bugging me all this evening saying they couldn't clean up one of my files. What version of Trados did I have again? What version of Word? What OS? What mousepad am I using? I looked at the error logs they sent me and suggested a number of Trados tricks that I know.

Then, after several hours, they sent an email saying that they couldn't clean up the file with 2007 Suite, but they could with Freelance 7, which is the version I use. It was just a simple Word file with a few bookmarks in it.

I sent them email commiserating with their lost hours and explained that that is exactly why I'm not 'upgrading' Trados anymore. I also mentioned that I've bought MemoQ, and while the handling of Japanese is not quite all I'd like it to be, everything else looks good, so perhaps they'd like to check it out.

This kind of marketing is free, and it's viral. That's why I say, concentrate on the software and the marketing will take care of itself.

[Edited at 2009-06-23 12:22 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:03
German to English
+ ...
Ouch. Jun 24, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:
Then, after several hours, they sent an email saying that they couldn't clean up the file with 2007 Suite, but they could with Freelance 7, which is the version I use. It was just a simple Word file with a few bookmarks in it.

It's things like this that made me give up on doing Trados jobs in Trados long ago and stick to other tools like MemoQ and DVX for the real work. Both are more "Trados-compatible" than Trados. Sad, isn't it?

Rod Walters
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Jun 24, 2009

This has only arisen now because this is my only client who actually tries to use Trados consistently. For years they've been sending me memories whereas other clients have been content to get the occasional discount. It's sad that the people who have been loyally forking over the cash for 'upgrades' have got bitten like this.

My client seemed glad to hear of an alternative...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL-type mailing from MemoQ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »