MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 12:09
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 14, 2009

Hello,

after my first larger project with MemoQ, v. 3.5.25, I can say that this CAT tool really helps in working fast and effectively. The LCS feature and the fragment assembling are great features that I don't want to ever miss again.

I have only encountered 2 problems during my project, maybe because of erroneous settings.
I'm using a single 'big mamma' as a TM and the usage of multiple translations for a segment is a must for me (technical translations).
... See more
Hello,

after my first larger project with MemoQ, v. 3.5.25, I can say that this CAT tool really helps in working fast and effectively. The LCS feature and the fragment assembling are great features that I don't want to ever miss again.

I have only encountered 2 problems during my project, maybe because of erroneous settings.
I'm using a single 'big mamma' as a TM and the usage of multiple translations for a segment is a must for me (technical translations).

a) Confirm and Overwrite (ALT+Enter)

This doesn't always work. I understand that this should work only if you have first confirmed a translation normally with CTRL+Enter, however, if you make corrections in a segment, then ALT+Enter should work, which is not always the case. I had to use CTRL-Enter and delete manually the first TM entry.

b) Fragment assembling

This feature is very helpful, especially if you import documents comming from other CAT tools that may segment the sentences differently. It's also great to deal with enumeration signs like "(1), - * ". I have also tried the segmentation rules to deal with such sentence beginnings, but the fragment assembling should be the first choice here.
Tip: just create a little TM from a document containing such enumerations, chose all segments and CTRL+SHIFT+S; With this, the assembling function should work correctly to auto-translate all such non-linguistic signs.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work with the pre-translation: While the purple segments in the Result Window will show an assembled fragment correctly (so you can insert it manually), the segment will remain blank if you choose [pre-translate + any match + perform fragment assembling].
If you chose "exact match" instead, MemoQ tries to assemble, but will insert the english part of the segment (instead of the target language part). I hope this will be fixed soon, because this feature is a really time-saving one.

All in all, MemoQ comes very close to DVX and still has a lot of potential for future improvements.

My congrats to the devs !

Mike

[Edited at 2009-08-14 07:39 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
answers and clarifications Aug 24, 2009

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words. I'll try to answer your concerns.

MikeTrans wrote:

a) Confirm and Overwrite (ALT+Enter)

This doesn't always work. I understand that this should work only if you have first confirmed a translation normally with CTRL+Enter, however, if you make corrections in a segment, then ALT+Enter should work, which is not always the case. I had to use CTRL-Enter and delete manually the first TM entry.

If you can give an example where it doesn't work, we'll investigate it.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work with the pre-translation: While the purple segments in the Result Window will show an assembled fragment correctly (so you can insert it manually), the segment will remain blank if you choose [pre-translate + any match + perform fragment assembling].

If you chose "exact match" instead, MemoQ tries to assemble, but will insert the english part of the segment (instead of the target language part). I hope this will be fixed soon, because this feature is a really time-saving one.

It works like this: matches from the TM always take precedence over fragment assembly matches. So if you choose the "Any match" option for pretranslation, and you have a fuzzy match for the segment, MemoQ will pretranslate the segment with that fuzzy match, ignoring the fragment assembly match. If you choose the "Exact match" option instead, and there is no 100% or context match for the segment, MemoQ will use the fragment assembly match.

I'm not sure what you mean by the source of the segment being inserted at pretranslation. This is probably a misunderstanding of the fragment assembly feature. Fragment assembly is actually a simplified form of machine translation. It takes the source text, and replaces parts of it (terms etc) with the target language equivalent.

I'd also like to point you to the auto-translatables feature. It allows you to create rules that automatically "translate" any repetitive pattern like dates, numbers, etc. Auto-translatables are also used by fragment assembly.

Best regards,

Gergely Vandor
Kilgray

[Edited at 2009-08-24 10:56 GMT]

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
context matching, recommended TM defaults Aug 25, 2009

One more piece of advice:

We have found that the default translation memory settings (context matching turned on and only one translation allowed) are the best in almost all cases. In this setup, multiple translations are actually allowed if each comes from a different context. In MemoQ, the context of the segment you are translating are the previous and the next segment.

So if you encounter the very same segment in another document, but the previous/next segment is different, you can translate this segment differently, and MemoQ will create a new segment in the translation memory on confirming. (It will not overwrite the existing translation.) You will notice that a TM match from a different context will be presented as a 100% hit, while a TM match from the same context will be presented as 101%.

Gergely

[Edited at 2009-08-25 11:34 GMT]

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
v.3.6 solves all this Oct 27, 2009

Hello,

sorry for this VERY long follow-up response and thanks a lot for your suggestions.

In fact, all this is now obsolete because updating to MemoQ 3.6 will resolve all of the above, especially with the new autopropagation feature.
Bravo!

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fragment assembling; Confirm and Overwrite; v.3.5.25

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »