Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 8, 2009

I have some questions to DVX users. When importing DVX exported translation memories (TMX files) into MemoQ which import settings do you select?

There are four import options:
- Process TRADOS TMX for best results in MemoQ
- Iport MemoQ formatting
- Import <ut> as MemoQ tag
- Customs <tags> in text as MemoQ tags

And another question, is it possible to import all the client, subject, project, file, user information? I see that Domain,
... See more
I have some questions to DVX users. When importing DVX exported translation memories (TMX files) into MemoQ which import settings do you select?

There are four import options:
- Process TRADOS TMX for best results in MemoQ
- Iport MemoQ formatting
- Import <ut> as MemoQ tag
- Customs <tags> in text as MemoQ tags

And another question, is it possible to import all the client, subject, project, file, user information? I see that Domain, Project and Client IDs are displayed but only as numbers.

And what is the difference between Domain and Subject? I guess this Domain information will not be imported back to DVX.

It seems that there are also some problems with export-import of terminology databases between DVX and MQ. In DVX we can create new fields, but it is not possible (or easy) to import these to MemoQ.

[Edited at 2009-09-08 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 01:06
English to Hungarian
recommendations Sep 13, 2009

The "Process Trados TMX" import option makes no sense when importing TMs from DVX into MemoQ, and could even fail. It was designed for TMX files produced by recent versions of Trados 2007. Enabling the other three probably won't do any harm (neither to content nor to leverage). Disabling the last two might result in loss of markup information (tags, formatting). I'm not sure about the second, but it has probably no effect. I would recommend disable, enable, enable, enable.

Domain vs
... See more
The "Process Trados TMX" import option makes no sense when importing TMs from DVX into MemoQ, and could even fail. It was designed for TMX files produced by recent versions of Trados 2007. Enabling the other three probably won't do any harm (neither to content nor to leverage). Disabling the last two might result in loss of markup information (tags, formatting). I'm not sure about the second, but it has probably no effect. I would recommend disable, enable, enable, enable.

Domain vs Subject: there is no difference between the two. Both are text fields you can fill with any information you like. If you are curious what the original designer meant, Domain is probably "broader" than Subject. Still I would just recommend using them the way that best suits you.

Export/import of TMs containing fields: Since the field structures are different between DVX and MemoQ, and neither tool offers "optimized" TMX import or export for the other tool, for best results you might need to edit your TMX files in a text editor when migrating from one tool to the other. Otherwise, some field content will be lost. And you are right, MemoQ does not allow the user to set up custom descriptive fields for TMs (or TBs).

When importing terminology content from CSV into a MemoQ TB, you can specify which column goes into which MemoQ field. So filling the built-in MemoQ TB fields from your CSV files shouldn't be very difficult in my opinion.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMX import settings

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »