Tobias Werner
Tobias Werner  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 18:54
English to German
+ ...
Oct 9, 2009

Hi,

today I've tried to import a terminology list from a MS Excel file with English and German terminology. I saved the Excel file as CSV and also tried TXT, same result.

When I import the file into my MemoQ termbase, the German umlauts (ä, ö, ü) are not transferred correctly. Does anyone have the same problem?

Best regards
Tobias

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:54
Swedish to English
+ ...
ANSI or UTF Oct 9, 2009

In my experience, it may depend on whether your file is in ANSI format lor UTF. That certainly applies in Trados - a file imported to Workbench must be ANSI, whereas for MultiTerm it must be UTF (UTF-8).
I use a text editor called UEdit to save in the required format. Perhaps someone has a better solution.

Tobias Werner
Tobias Werner  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 18:54
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the hint! Oct 9, 2009

I was able to fix it now. Instead of using the standard file coding UTF-8 I used UTF-7 during the import and everything seems to be fine now.

Tobias

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology import from CSV file with umlauts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »