Thread poster: Claudio Pagliarani
Claudio Pagliarani
Claudio Pagliarani  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 28, 2009

Hi all,

I am a former TRADOS-addicted professional translator. After the launch of TRADOS 2009 Suite, which I bought, I had to give up working with that CAT-tool because it constantly crashes, doesn't work etc.

I am now using MemoQ 3.6 and I am very happy with excellent tool (translation environment, as they call it).

I just have one question: is there any way to hide and display blanks / white spaces while translating? I have been looking for this function
... See more
Hi all,

I am a former TRADOS-addicted professional translator. After the launch of TRADOS 2009 Suite, which I bought, I had to give up working with that CAT-tool because it constantly crashes, doesn't work etc.

I am now using MemoQ 3.6 and I am very happy with excellent tool (translation environment, as they call it).

I just have one question: is there any way to hide and display blanks / white spaces while translating? I have been looking for this function in the whole online help, but I have found nothing useful...

I know that there is a (!), a default "alert" that turns on as soon as you confirm a segment. It warns that several / more than one white spaces are included in the segment that has just been confirmed.

Thank you
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A special font to see the whitespaces Oct 28, 2009

Yes, as a Trados user for ages I was also missing the possibility to see whitespaces.

For the main thing, i.e. seeing the spaces, you have a solution in MemoQ's Wikibook. The idea is as simple as using a font with spaces painted as little dots.

It would be better to have an option in MemoQ to show/hide spaces depending on the situation. M
... See more
Yes, as a Trados user for ages I was also missing the possibility to see whitespaces.

For the main thing, i.e. seeing the spaces, you have a solution in MemoQ's Wikibook. The idea is as simple as using a font with spaces painted as little dots.

It would be better to have an option in MemoQ to show/hide spaces depending on the situation. Maybe the Kilgray guys can take that into account for the future, as many users of Trados might miss this option in MemoQ?

Now, I have seen MemoQ detect double spaces where there aren't any, namely if you work with a tagged file and you have a space before and after an inline tag (for instance the tag of a cross-reference, which will mean actual text in the final translated file).

MemoQ apparently thinks the inline tag is a formatting tag and reports a warning when it sees the space before and after the tag. Maybe there is a solution for this (via the regular expressions or something). If any of you has a solution for this, I would be grateful for more information!
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
both of these wil be addressed in memoQ 4.0 Oct 29, 2009

memoQ 4.0 will bring a reworked QA module with many improvements, including better checking for double spaces at inline tags.

memoQ 4.0 will also bring a new editor component, which will let us include many new features, including visible space characters. Until then, the modified font Tomas mentioned can be helpful.

Best regards,

Gergely Vandor
Kilgray

[Edited at 2009-10-29 12:36 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Gergely! Oct 29, 2009

Good to hear. Thanks a lot for sharing!
Best,
Tomás

Claudio Pagliarani
Claudio Pagliarani  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Oct 29, 2009

Thanks Gergely, I am looking forward to getting the new update of your awesome software!

Regards,

Claudio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blank / White spaces: how to hide & display

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »