Thread poster: Heikki A (X)
Heikki A (X)
Heikki A (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:46
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2012

So if i double click on a word on the left hand side (source text), a translation of the word is inserted in the right hand side (target).

I would like to change that to operate as on the right hand side, i.e. that double clicking selects the whole word, so that it's easier to enter terms in the term base. Is this possible?

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:46
English to Polish
+ ...
The word already is in the termbase... Jun 20, 2012

Heikki A. wrote:

So if i double click on a word on the left hand side (source text), a translation of the word is inserted in the right hand side (target).

I would like to change that to operate as on the right hand side, i.e. that double clicking selects the whole word, so that it's easier to enter terms in the term base. Is this possible?

...But the highlighting option is probably off in your MemoQ setup. I use highlighting to know which words already have translations in the termbase.

HTH

Piotr

Heikki A (X)
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK got it... Jun 20, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply, Piotr!

Ah, I noticed indeed that it doesn't happen with terms that are not highlighted in light blue (i.e. highlights are on; I'm a bit new with MemoQ). Still, the highlighting seems to apply only to terms that are found on e.g. the EuroTermBank term base... but it's not a huge problem: if I want to add them in my own term base I can just click 'n drag and safely double click the non-highlighted words.

Luca Tutino

Heikki A (X)
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A tip Jun 20, 2012

By the way, here's a useful tip:

Change the font size to e.g. 12 so it will be easier and faster to select words by click & drag!

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Now that we have to frequently switch CAT tools, this mQ feature became seriously dangerous May 20, 2020

Given that double-click to select a word is quite a universal command, there is a very high risk of inserting a term by mistake in the translation, just because you are trying to select in the usual way. For instance, I often select a word in the source language just to filter by that word, for a concordance search or just to paste it somewhere else, and I often do not even realize that by doing so I have placed the word in my target segment.

I have found this type of errors in my
... See more
Given that double-click to select a word is quite a universal command, there is a very high risk of inserting a term by mistake in the translation, just because you are trying to select in the usual way. For instance, I often select a word in the source language just to filter by that word, for a concordance search or just to paste it somewhere else, and I often do not even realize that by doing so I have placed the word in my target segment.

I have found this type of errors in my own translations, before delivering them, and in approved MTs received. In any case, I would very much prefer to abolish this feature or to have an option to disable it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem: double click on source word inserts translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »