Thread poster: Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
English to French
+ ...
Jul 23, 2014

Hello,

Before posting this topic, I have watched memoQ's training video "How to set segmentation rules"... Yet I still don't know how to simply add a comma, colon and semi-colon to the main #end# rule!
However, after reading some answers to questions about memoQ's RegEx, I can see I am not the only one to be puzzled by memoQ's programmer approach to such a basic feature...

I have sent a request to memoQ's support but still no answer and my job is starting tomorrow
... See more
Hello,

Before posting this topic, I have watched memoQ's training video "How to set segmentation rules"... Yet I still don't know how to simply add a comma, colon and semi-colon to the main #end# rule!
However, after reading some answers to questions about memoQ's RegEx, I can see I am not the only one to be puzzled by memoQ's programmer approach to such a basic feature...

I have sent a request to memoQ's support but still no answer and my job is starting tomorrow morning so this is rather urgent. I have configured all other aspects to prepare for my big job and switch-over from Trados but this segmentation rule is THE critical feature I cannot do without.

So, can anybody please explain to me in simple terms how to add a comma, colon and semi-colon to the main #end# segmentation rule? Well, I guess this is what I need to do anyway...

As part of my job, I translate real estate ads and memoQ needs to create a segment for each phrase between commas, and after full-stops, colons and semi-colons to turn this:
"Immeuble standing, vaste 3P, 68m² en étage élevé, parfait état, traversant, séjour sur terrasse, chambres au calme sur balcon. Nombreux rangements. Belles prestations. Cave. DPE :C. Réf.: 4ODR."

into that:
"Immeuble standing,
vaste 3P,
68m² en étage élevé,
parfait état,
traversant,
séjour sur terrasse,
chambres au calme sur balcon.
Nombreux rangements.
Belles prestations.
Cave.
DPE:
C. Réf.:
4ODR."

Many thanks in advance!
Claire
Collapse

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:43
English
+ ...
Similar problem Jul 23, 2014

I had a similar problem with Chinese. The segmentation is language by language, and I tried adapting the English rules for Chinese, but they didn't take effect.
Would be interested in anything you learn.

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:43
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
The simplest solution Jul 23, 2014

To segment sentences on commas, colons and semi-colons add the following lines in the "Rules" window:

;#!#
:#!#
,#!#

...and reimport your document.

Adding "always breaking" punctuation marks to segmentation rules Jul 24, 2014

Hi Claire,

I think what Tomasz suggested is perfect, or you can do what you originally wanted to: add a new custom list. I think they are about equally complicated (or easy) solutions.

Create a new custom list called eg. #alwaysBreak#, and add your punctuation marks to it.
Then define this rule: #alwaysBreak##!# with no exceptions. This will always break your text if it meets one of the marks in the
... See more
Hi Claire,

I think what Tomasz suggested is perfect, or you can do what you originally wanted to: add a new custom list. I think they are about equally complicated (or easy) solutions.

Create a new custom list called eg. #alwaysBreak#, and add your punctuation marks to it.
Then define this rule: #alwaysBreak##!# with no exceptions. This will always break your text if it meets one of the marks in the list.
If you have a list it will be easier to add/remove marks later.

Kind regards,
Agnes Varga

[Edited at 2014-07-24 08:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-24 08:26 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Jul 24, 2014

Dear Tomasz,

Thanks a lot for you reply, it's worked!!
I had tried replicating the #end# model with commas, colons and semi-colons in it but, since I am not a programmer, memoQ kept rejecting my 'custom-made' strings...
Fantastic, thanks again

Kind regards,
Claire

Denis Hay
Denis Hay
Local time: 20:43
It's all in the custom lists Jul 24, 2014

Hi everyone,

As some said, segmentation rules depend on the source language. Here, for French, you need to:

- clone the default ruleset
- edit your cloned copy and add those caracters to the #end# custom list (second tab)
- reimport your document

http://screencast.com/t/pIBBgzHuvly

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:43
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
The same problem Apr 2, 2015

I have created a new set of rules, added comma to #end# custom list, and made this a default set. However, Memoq still doesn't segment the text on commas.
Source: English
MemoQ version: 6.2

What can I do?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I just had the same problem, … Apr 2, 2019

boostrer wrote:

I have created a new set of rules, added comma to #end# custom list, and made this a default set. However, Memoq still doesn't segment the text on commas.
Source: English
MemoQ version: 6.2

What can I do?

… but am wondering if it is related to memoQ's so-called TM-driven segmentation, or whatever it's called. That is, are particular TMs I have attached to the project (when re-importing my doc) perhaps overriding my newly added :#!# rule? Anyone?

In any case, I added the rule to force memoQ to segment on all colons as described above, but after re-importing the same doc, memoQ did not break the text on all colons...

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT - Adding comma, colon and semi-colon to memoQ's segmentation rules

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »